TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I’d rather play with the current lineup and see what happens. If it so happens Gallagher walks after the playoffs so be it.

Reactions: 417

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I wouldn’t let Suzuki and KK walk before Gally and that’s about it. Having said that he can’t expect to try and claw back the millions he thinks he missed while on his sweetheart deal, especially in the currently economic climate. 8x$5.75
Hahahaha he'll get way more than 5.75 on the Open Market. He's done enough for us already in his career. 250K more than a guy who has done nothing for us previously and has never scored 30 nor proven himself consistently.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Both Toffoli (RHS) and Lehkonen (LHS) can play their offwings, Julien has many possible line combinations on his hands. It's so weird to think that heart & soul Gally would feel "threatened" by acquisitions that balance out the roster...! Maybe he can ask Bergevin, give me Toffoli on the left and KK at centre and I'll play the year to show you up.

Reactions: Redux91

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Bergevin is such a two-faced GM.

Yesterday he said he does not comment on negotiations.

About a week ago, he told RDS that Gallagher will be the highest paid forward on the team, that he won't want a 'short' 4-5 year contract but rather a long one, and that he is committed to having Gallagher retire a Hab.

Perhaps he came to his senses since.

If it were me, I would be telling him,

"Brendan, it's a strange world out there right now. I don't know how you feel about things, but look at what Taylor Hall did, look at how most contracts that UFAs signed were for less money than their previous one, and half the guys aren't even signed yet.

You know we want you and respect you, so here's the deal: you can have whatever number of years you want, up to four, at $6.5M. Whenever your deal is up, we will work with you to extend at a fair market value at that time, under those circumstances. You choose the timing, just let us know."
Why would he believe that you'd sign him to fair market value in 4 years?

Reactions: Ozmodiar

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
I think we have 3 pretty balanced lines. I don't think we need wingers to play on their off-wings.

Armia should play on the left side.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Armia will slot into the 3-4th line winger where as Gally/Toffolli and Anderson will all look to be in the top 6. If Toffolli has had success on the left side, this could move Drouin down into the 3rd line which would make sense.
IMO this will be Drouin’s make or break season, he’ll get his all the chance playing next to Suzuki who he seems to have chemistry with, if that doesn’t work he’s gonzo I think.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
If I can be 1 of 21k fans in the Bell Centre giving Saku Koivu a standing ovation before the games opening face off while he is wearing a white Ducks jersey, then I can most definitely get used to seeing Gallagher wearing another uniform.
Let’s just make sure he doesn’t walk for nothing.
I have zero issue with Gallagher leaving even if he's one of my favourites of all-time. My issue that we replaced him with an awful contract on a player who is 26 years old and had one good season on a higher scorer team than Montreal.

The problem is the precedent that set for Gallagher in the first place.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
So Gallagher is probably looking at the Kreider contract of 7 years x 6.5 million.

I bet the Habs are offering 4 or 5 years at 6ish per year.

7 years for Gallagher is mighty scary but he's the heart of this team. I never want to see him in another jersey.

He's a 50-55 points player. Emotionally speaking, I'm sure most Habs fans don't want to see him leave. But let's not get ahead of ourselves and sign him to any deal just because we like him. He's no Markov, he's no Weber and he's no Price. He's not even what Subban was for us for that matter. He's a Ryan Callahan. A guy that can certainly be replaced.

chapeau

Jan 16, 2019
I’d be happy with 6x6. We need him for at least 2 years, 3 if that’s what it takes Caufield to develop. If he can put in 18-25 goals in years 4-6 while being a team leader, I’m fine with that.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I’d rather play with the current lineup and see what happens. If it so happens Gallagher walks after the playoffs so be it.

I agree. Rentabilizing assets is good and wishable. But losing Gallagher is nothing compared to losing Pietrangelo. It's nothing compared to than losing Panarin. Hell. It's also nothing compared to losing Krug as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully we can re-sign him to a decent contract. But if it does not make sense, let's either visit scenarios where we can trade him for a comparable UFA winger next trade deadline, or shop for replacements on the trade market or the UFA market.

ydnarhabs

Jan 10, 2012
Tilbury, Ontario
I’d be happy with 6x6. We need him for at least 2 years, 3 if that’s what it takes Caufield to develop. If he can put in 18-25 goals in years 4-6 while being a team leader, I’m fine with that.
I think something like 4x6.75 or 5x6.25 or 6x6 and 7x5.75. Give him the choice but try to make it enticing for shorter term. Gallagher is one tough cookie but wear and tear is inevitable.

Reactions: chapeau

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
i am kinda sold on moving gallagher... in the last couple of years his play has really been inconsistent at best and he just gets more and more worn down. Sometimes he looks like he just learned how to skate. I am sure some playoffs bound team (not habs) next season will be looking to add a pest for a deep run (again, not habs). May get best value for him at the trade deadline-ish, provided he has a somewhat decent season or just not injured.

But if the right deal comes along, move him at any time. Unlike many, i am not married to the idea of Gallagher being a Hab forever.

Reactions: bsl and Ozmodiar

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Sign him before the season starts or trade him and Byron and sign Hoffman (5M) and Perry (1m).

can’t let him walk for nothing ... and he will. Those western Canadian teams would want him.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
I agree. Rentabilizing assets is good and wishable. But losing Gallagher is nothing compared to losing Pietrangelo. It's nothing compared to than losing Panarin. Hell. It's also nothing compared to losing Krug as far as I'm concerned.

Hopefully we can re-sign him to a decent contract. But if it does not make sense, let's either visit scenarios where we can trade him for a comparable UFA winger next trade deadline, or shop for replacements on the trade market or the UFA market.

What do we trade him for with one year on his contract anyways? He’s a great player and losing him prior to this season will do more harm than good. If it’s the difference between having an extra 1st or a prospect I’ll pass and see what this team can do. Ideally if he wants to resign we get rid of Tatar or Byron and get the ELC’s to come in next year.

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
i am kinda sold on moving gallagher... in the last couple of years his play has really been inconsistent at best and he just gets more and more worn down. Sometimes he looks like he just learned how to skate. I am sure some playoffs bound team (not habs) next season will be looking to add a pest for a deep run (again, not habs). May get best value for him at the trade deadline-ish, provided he has a somewhat decent season or just not injured.

But if the right deal comes along, move him at any time. Unlike many, i am not married to the idea of Gallagher being a Hab forever.
Inconsistent...huh. He's probably the most predictable player in terms of what you're going to get every night and his point totals don't change very much.

I want him back but if a trade makes the best sense for the team, no problem. But to call him inconsistent is flat out false.

Reactions: dralaf

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What do we trade him for with one year on his contract anyways? He’s a great player and losing him prior to this season will do more harm than good. If it’s the difference between having an extra 1st or a prospect I’ll pass and see what this team can do. Ideally if he wants to resign we get rid of Tatar or Byron and get the ELC’s to come in next year.

The Rangers once trade Ryan Callahan for Martin St. Louis. Both were UFAs to be if I'm not mistaken and both re-signed on their new team. I certainly can see things playing out like this if it comes down to that. Many possible scenarios.

I would also not call Gallagher a "great player". I think he's a very good player and in an ideal world you keep him. But losing him is nowhere as dramatic as some Habs fans are led to think. Losing Jeff Petry would have been way, WAY worse.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Hahahaha he'll get way more than 5.75 on the Open Market. He's done enough for us already in his career. 250K more than a guy who has done nothing for us previously and has never scored 30 nor proven himself consistently.
He will be very disappointed on the Open Market. Teams are already struggling fitting their players within the cap and next year will be an even harder exercise with the flat cap.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I have zero issue with Gallagher leaving even if he's one of my favourites of all-time. My issue that we replaced him with an awful contract on a player who is 26 years old and had one good season on a higher scorer team than Montreal.

The problem is the precedent that set for Gallagher in the first place.
I don't love the Anderson contract but it really should not affect Gallagher. Anderson is two years younger than Gallagher and his 7 year contract starts this year. That will make him 33 at the end.

A four-year extension for Gallagher would take him to 33 as well, and he will and has surely been offered more than $5.5M that Anderson got. Bergevin himself said publicly Gallagher will be the highest paid forward on the team, AFTER he signed Anderson. $6.5M x 4 is no insult!! The problem is that Gallagher seemingly told the Habs he wants much longer term. The club can't commit to a big dollar contract to age 36 or 37 in today's context. That has nothing to do with Anderson actually.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
It depends on what the return is and how he is replaced.
What if the return is a top prospect?
What if moving Gally allows them to keep Danault?
What if they’re able replace him with Hoffman?
If caufield lights it up and lands in the top 6 with Anderson?

If they trade Gally and don’t replace him, sure, it will hurt. He’d have to see what is done with the return or available cap space.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
The Rangers once trade Ryan Callahan for Martin St. Louis. Both were UFAs to be if I'm not mistaken and both re-signed on their new team. I certainly can see things playing out like this if it comes down to that. Many possible scenarios.

I would also not call Gallagher a "great player". I think he's a very good player and in an ideal world you keep him. But losing him is nowhere as dramatic as some Habs fans are led to think. Losing Jeff Petry would have been way, WAY worse.

I’m not into downplaying Gallagher’s role. I’ve always thought he was a key player and I don’t see the purpose in swapping for another UFA. Keep Gally and see how it playsout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad