TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I get it, but it also highlights the disrespect towards Gallagher. He has to prove himself when others don't. And that's despite the fact that he's had the better career.

Not too mention who cares how well someone does in an all star game shooting competition. Go watch the Glen Metropolit video where the Habs ran a shooting competition that he dominated.
At the same time...Brendan Gallagher was one of the players (along with Jeff Petry) who was vocal about how he needed to see legitimate improvement from the team in terms of offseason acquisitions, and that it would weigh heavily with him when it came down to negotiating an extension.

Well...this is the result of improving, means there's a little less cash.

Jeff Petry seemingly understood that for this team to improve, like he publicly requested, it meant he had to leave some money on the table in his contract extension negotiations.

Brendan Gallagher will have to come to the same reflection.

Or he'll be gone

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
He will be very disappointed on the Open Market. Teams are already struggling fitting their players within the cap and next year will be an even harder exercise with the flat cap.
I highly doubt it. Even if he only gets 6 million, he'll get 6-7 years. No doubt.

Unless he really tanks his value this year, of course.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
At the same time...Brendan Gallagher was one of the players (along with Jeff Petry) who was vocal about how he needed to see legitimate improvement from the team in terms of offseason acquisitions, and that it would weigh heavily with him when it came down to negotiating an extension.

Well...this is the result of improving, means there's a little less cash.

Jeff Petry seemingly understood that for this team to improve, like he publicly requested, it meant he had to leave some money on the table in his contract extension negotiations.

Brendan Gallagher will have to come to the same reflection.

Or he'll be gone
What are the rumoured offer/want? I think anything under $6M is a deal in comparison to what he'd get elsewhere.

There's also the chance that he doesn't think the moves we made change the team all that much as far as results will go.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
What are the rumoured offer/want? I think anything under $6M is a deal in comparison to what he'd get elsewhere.

There's also the chance that he doesn't think the moves we made change the team all that much as far as results will go.
Not sure...but I can't see him wanting less then 6-6.5M.

While his camp are probably pushing for closer to 7M

Reactions: jaffy27

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
In addition to the objective value of Gally in terms of stats, comparables, etc., what might make this more complicated is what the contract he gets (or doesn't get) says to the rest of the team and the other players in the league about how Montreal treats its players. If the players on the team see that giving 110% every game and giving your heart to the team for years gets rewarded, then they are more likely to do the same. If the players on the team see that management's attitude is that this doesn't matter and all that matters is a clinical evaluation of stats, comparables, etc., then why would the other players give that 110%?
If UFAs see Montreal as a place that fosters and rewards all-out effort then they are more likely to see Montreal as a place they would like to play than if they see Montreal as a place that doesn't reward effort and loyalty but simply discards players who sacrifice themselves for the team the minute it thinks they can get some marginal benefit by doing so.
Business is not just math - it's people too.
Yep Godin raised the same point. Bergevin is handing out money to 'outsiders' (Edmundson, Anderson and Toffoli) but it would send the wrong message to the rest of the team if they don't treat Gally fairly in these contract negotiations. I do think that MB is playing the media but this could get nasty a la Markov/Radulov get a dog if he's not careful with what he says.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Basu posted an article and it is an interesting game of chess between MB and Gallagher. He referenced Gallagher's comments a month after his surgery:

“For me that’s pretty much everything,” Gallagher said. “The money’s important; I’m not going to sit here and lie and say the money’s not going to be important to me. But it’ll be enough money regardless of what it is. I’ll be able to live a happy life post-hockey, that’s not going to be a worry.

“I want to enjoy my time, I want to enjoy my experience and I want to have an opportunity to be a winner. That’s really what you want to be remembered for. So going into this next contract for however many years I’m able to sign for, you just want to be in a position where you have that opportunity each and every season.”

-

With that in mind, if Gallagher is not willing to accept a 5 year deal in the 6.25-6.5M range, then it's not Bergevin's fault. Based on his comments, this should do it for Gallagher. He'd be paid similarly to his comparables (Lee, JVR, Kreider) and would be able to retire comfortably afterwards. That's not to mention that he'd be 33 after the deal and would be able to sign 1 or 2 more deals afterwards.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
No player is going to take that for sure though. Fair market value could be zero if he gets hurt, etc.
OK so take 4 years, you are very unlikely to get longer on the open market. This year, only THREE UFAs in the entire league signed for longer than 4 years, two defenceman and one goalie. ZERO forwards.

Last edited:

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I doubt that......Like @417 said, you wanted changes, we’ll there you are, and everything that comes with it.

but this is part of negotiations folks.....Gallagher wants 7, we offer 5.5m$.....let it sit and then come back a few days later, maybe a few weeks, shred the payroll and pony up another 1m$....here you go Brendan.....6.5m$ for 6 years, now let’s go win some hockey games!!!

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The extension, if it comes to pass, is gonna be right around 6.25-6.5M...tne sticking point is gonna be years.

That's what it's gonna cost.....is that something the Habs should do?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I could easily see the Devils offering him $7M.
I think Edmonton are more likely.

The devils are certainly not looking at a Brendan Gallagher type of player. (They are not contending or yet close to that)

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Basu posted an article and it is an interesting game of chess between MB and Gallagher. He referenced Gallagher's comments a month after his surgery:

“For me that’s pretty much everything,” Gallagher said. “The money’s important; I’m not going to sit here and lie and say the money’s not going to be important to me. But it’ll be enough money regardless of what it is. I’ll be able to live a happy life post-hockey, that’s not going to be a worry.

“I want to enjoy my time, I want to enjoy my experience and I want to have an opportunity to be a winner. That’s really what you want to be remembered for. So going into this next contract for however many years I’m able to sign for, you just want to be in a position where you have that opportunity each and every season.”

-

With that in mind, if Gallagher is not willing to accept a 5 year deal in the 6.25-6.5M range, then it's not Bergevin's fault. Based on his comments, this should do it for Gallagher. He'd be paid similarly to his comparables (Lee, JVR, Kreider) and would be able to retire comfortably afterwards. That's not to mention that he'd be 33 after the deal and would be able to sign 1 or 2 more deals afterwards.
Stop bringing up pre Covid salaries. Pietrangelo is making less than subban and he’s miles better.
Covid hit. People in all sorts of situations industries took pay cuts. Pro sports will be no different

DarkSender

Apr 29, 2019
Laval
Steven Stamkos took a huge discount to stay with the lightning and look, he lifted with the cup without playing more than 3 minutes. Take a discount, you'll have better teammates and a better team around you than can almost carry you.

Gallagher said he wants a competitive team around him. Well he got it now, we'll see how much he asks. Anything over $6M (on a flat cap) and 5 years is an overpay.

Reactions: Hins77

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The issue is that Gallagher isn’t going to be worth in the futur what he deserves or earn in the past especially with the cap situation due to the pandemic + the Anderson contract really screwed up all structures or logic... If Gallagher want more than we should offer I have no issue trading him as long as it good value

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
The extension, if it comes to pass, is gonna be right around 6.25-6.5M...tne sticking point is gonna be years.

That's what it's gonna cost.....is that something the Habs should do?
Sorry man. Gallagher isn’t worth 2 million more than Toffoli. No chance he’s gets 6.5.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sorry man. Gallagher isn’t worth 2 million more than Toffoli. No chance he’s gets 6.5.
His worth relative to Toffoli isn't really relevant to be honest.

And for fun...compare Gallagher and Toffoli's numbers.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He'd be 34. There is a year to go before that 5 year extension would kick in.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Stop bringing up pre Covid salaries. Pietrangelo is making less than subban and he’s miles better.
Covid hit. People in all sorts of situations industries took pay cuts. Pro sports will be no different
Patrick Mahones says hi lol

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Canucks have to sign Petterson and Hughes to massive money next year. The year after demko and Boeser. They will not open the vault for a 29 year old small winger. Loui Ericsson all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad