TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have a lot of misgivings about some of 690’s stooge hosts which has incited me to listen to the Franco all-sports station, BPM, during certain time slots.

However, BPM too has its annoyances like hosts who make no effort or who do a very poor job of pronouncing terms and names that are not in the French language.

I just cringed beyond cringing just now when I heard that lightweight wannabe (I prefer not to name him as he’s so full of himself) with the high-pitched voice who cohosts with Laraque on BPM’s late morning/ early afternoon show refer to Friedman’s podcast as “turry-two Tots”. :shakehead

No one is expecting perfect pronunciations but jeeze, to constantly be on the other extreme when you’re holding a professional broadcasting job shows a lack of respect and rigor toward his job.

This is the same guy who comes across like a low class schlub with the abbreviations and monikers he uses on the show.

For instance, he was mentioning last week how he used to live in the Hochelaga area but it’s not how he called it. He said that he had resided for some time in “la Shlag”. Like WTF. Who calls the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve area, la Shlag? :laugh:

Other than that, I can’t take Louis from Ville Mercier calling every show and doing his fake announcer voices, and a notable ethnophobe and demagogue like Reggie Tremblay who keeps getting radio gigs despite his shoddy, longstanding record of yellow journalism.

Regardless, I’ll put up with some of these annoyances cause it still beats listening to Sean Friggin’ Campbell.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I have a lot of misgivings about some of 690’s stooge hosts which has incited me to listen to the Franco all-sports station, BPM, during certain time slots.

However, BPM too has its annoyances like hosts who make no effort or who do a very poor job of pronouncing terms and names that are not in the French language.

I just cringed beyond cringing just now when I heard that lightweight wannabe (I prefer not to name him as he’s so full of himself) with the high-pitched voice who cohosts with Laraque on BPM’s late morning/ early afternoon show refer to Friedman’s podcast as “turry-two Tots”. :shakehead

No one is expecting perfect pronunciations but jeeze, to constantly be on the other extreme when you’re holding a professional broadcasting job shows a lack of respect and rigor toward his job.

This is the same guy who comes across like a low class schlub with the abbreviations and monikers he uses on the show.

For instance, he was mentioning last week how he used to live in the Hochelaga area but it’s not how he called it. He said that he had resided for some time in “la Shlag”. Like WTF. Who calls the Hochelaga-Maisonneuve area, la Shlag? :laugh:

Other than that, I can’t take Louis from Ville Mercier calling every show and doing his fake announcer voices, and a notable ethnophobe and demagogue like Reggie Tremblay who keeps getting radio gigs despite his shoddy, longstanding record of yellow journalism.

Regardless, I’ll put up with some of these annoyances cause it still beats listening to Sean Friggin’ Campbell.

I listen to BPM Sports a lot more, too. But I rarely catch the Laraque/Truman show. Big fan of JiC's program and his guests. I listen to Gilbert and Ben because I absolutely love Gilbert and the way he speaks and the expressions he uses. And I really like Ben. I oftentimes tune out when they take callers, but that is a big part of their show. But I'm not interested in listening to callers.

Luckily, I miss the Rejean Tremblay segment (now on with Denis Coderre) because it's when I just get in the car to drive my daughter to school. So I catch the very end of their segment. But I'm in the car for Hartley, Lavoie, and Boucher. And then at work I'm catching his segment with my boy Marinaro. ;)

After that, I tune in to Lemay because much like JiC, I like that show and their guests. And I am very entertained with Lemay, Ben, and Anthony. They have great chemistry and they tease each other endlessly and I love that.

Reactions: Yep and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I listen to BPM Sports a lot more, too. But I rarely catch the Laraque/Truman show. Big fan of JiC's program and his guests. I listen to Gilbert and Ben because I absolutely love Gilbert and the way he speaks and the expressions he uses. And I really like Ben. I oftentimes tune out when they take callers, but that is a big part of their show. But I'm not interested in listening to callers.

Luckily, I miss the Rejean Tremblay segment (now on with Denis Coderre) because it's when I just get in the car to drive my daughter to school. So I catch the very end of their segment. But I'm in the car for Hartley, Lavoie, and Boucher. And then at work I'm catching his segment with my boy Marinaro. ;)

After that, I tune in to Lemay because much like JiC, I like that show and their guests. And I am very entertained with Lemay, Ben, and Anthony. They have great chemistry and they tease each other endlessly and I love that.
Like you I greatly enjoy Ben and Gilbert — they’re down to earth no-nonsense guys with an easy sense of humor.

If you have the chance, try and catch the L’Estrade Show with Max Van Houtte, which comes on right after Laraque. He’s got a quick sense of repartee and is well-spoken. He’s my favorite host on BPM — bright, topical and will often catch you off guard with unexpected takes. Has some good guests on too and sounds so polished and stays away from politics.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Like you I greatly enjoy Ben and Gilbert — they’re down to earth no-nonsense guys with an easy sense of humor.

If you have the chance, try and catch the L’Estrade Show with Max Van Houtte, which comes on right after Laraque. He’s got a quick sense of repartee and is well-spoken. He’s my favorite host on BPM — bright, topical and will often catch you off guard with unexpected takes. Has some good guests on too and sounds so polished and stays away from politics.

Yes I like Van Houtte also. He's great.

He's also a frequent guest on Marinaro's podcast. He's good there, too.

Reactions: Runner77

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Pedneault segment brings absolutely nothing to that show apart from jokes about what he's gonna have for dinner...

My favorite guest on that show is probably The Bear Andre Tourigny, great inside stuff every time he's on.

Hartley's fun too with his iguanas :laugh:

Reactions: Adam Michaels

GG#60

Feb 12, 2004
I reactivated my old account here on hfboards just to give my 2 cents about the sad state of TSN690. I've been listening for the past 15 years and I used to love it, but it is astonishing how it all went south so fast in the last couple of years.
I actually enjoy Campbell and Gallo (except for the horribly annoying intro song) and it seems like I am in the minority here with that sentiment :D

McKenna and Starr I always kinda liked but they fully jumped the woke-train and don't hesitate to feed you their horrible takes on everything.
But aside from Melnick and - Eric Macramalla - there's not much left worth listening to for me.

The absolute joke and worst of them all is Jon Still. I dont know what it is with this guy, but the way he talks and pronounces words is giving me the shivers, in a very bad way. I wanna throw my headphones into a corner and puke everytime he opens his mouth. "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh... bla bla bla" stupid long-winded intro to yet another silly question.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Gilbert should have an animated sitcom character based on him. Guaranteed hit show, the guy is hilarious.

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was aware that Laraque’s co-host rapped on the Friday show, lyrics that he writes every week but I always managed to miss it. Until this morning when I had the misfortune of being tuned in at the time.

I literally sprinted to my radio to shut off that pretentious putz’s tripe. This guy sounds even worse than Marinaro singing and I had to endure so many years of it on 690. Life’s way too short for such atrocities .

MarkJ

Jun 30, 2019
I was aware that Laraque’s co-host rapped on the Friday show, lyrics that he writes every week but I always managed to miss it. Until this morning when I had the misfortune of being tuned in at the time.

I literally sprinted to my radio to shut off that pretentious putz’s tripe. This guy sounds even worse than Marinaro singing and I had to endure so many years of it on 690. Life’s way too short for such atrocities .
worse than Marinaro? Is that even possible? :D

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I'd like to know why they keep having Brian Wilde on there? He was out to lunch today. Making many glaring mistakes. Kept saying Habs had all rookies on defense last night except for Matheson. I guess he missed Savard out there. Some of his trade ideas are far fetched

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
worse than Marinaro? Is that even possible? :D
I might have exaggerated a tad. :laugh:

I'd like to know why they keep having Brian Wilde on there? He was out to lunch today. Making many glaring mistakes. Kept saying Habs had all rookies on defense last night except for Matheson. I guess he missed Savard out there. Some of his trade ideas are far fetched
Wilde was always a space cadet. His only redeeming skill was being able to read script off a teleprompter when he used to be the sports newscaster on CTV. But even so, he never looked like he was all there. Maybe that’s why they used to call him the Wild Man, I don’t know.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
You really gotta hand it to Knuckles. He gets some absolutely great guests on his Raw Knuckles podcast. Ray Bourque joins him for his latest podcast just out today.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Back on 690 (well Melnick only) while I work and it’s TDL time.

I again just want to point out that I’ve encountered some of the worst music I’ve ever heard on his show. He’ll play some decent stuff, but so much sub pub rock blandness.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
You really gotta hand it to Knuckles. He gets some absolutely great guests on his Raw Knuckles podcast. Ray Bourque joins him for his latest podcast just out today.

Such a cool episode.

A habs fan who ends up playing for Boston and a Bruins fan who ends up playing for the Habs (who eventually became teammates as well).

It's been neat listening to a bunch of these and seeing how respected knuckles was by his teammates but also opponents.

It stood out to me that when Bourque got a scary facial injury at the forum in the early 80s that landed him at montreal hospital, only one guy came to visit him, and that was nilan.... Even though nilan had nothing to do with his injury.

Bourque has a couple great stories about nilan as well from their Boston days that had me laughing.

It also provides a glimpse into how stingy the Bruins organization was back then. Certainly, a far cry from today where pastarnak is signing a trendsetting deal.

Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This whole Momesso the Hockey Analyst schtick on 690 is getting out of hand.

He shows up at the station during the afternoon show. Apparently, it was an unscheduled appearance. Why unscheduled?

Momesso said that he had been busy all day. Not pouring over statistics and game trends and coming up with pieces of information that could liven up his color commentary.

Instead of that, he said he was out delivering products to grocery stores, on behalf of his family business. He went to several locations and lo and behold, there happened to be one near 690's studio. Is that why he showed up at the station? Nope. He said that the station had free parking and the customer he was delivering to, was close by. But he did show up with sandwiches from Momesso's restaurant that he handed out while on air.

Of course, some of this may just have been hot air and an exaggerated account for the gallery but somehow, it can't all be fabricated. It's a little too tightly-woven for that.

There's an Italian word for what Momesso is doing. It's called being an "approfittatore", or profiteer, if you wish. He exploits every facet, drops his name, using his somewhat public status as an ex-Habs player and now radio analyst on 690 Habs games to open doors for his family business. Shows up at the station for the free parking. Uses a token food delivery excuse to get on air.

And of course, he has nothing particularly interesting to say about the Habs -- the same old cliches as usual. But, he's been busy with groceries and that's supposed to be a good reason to tune into the afternoon show, apparently.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve been looking for this thread for the past 10 minutes, lol.

Wanted to post this:

It was already known that he’d be leaving Spanre but now they’ve established it’ll be at the end of the month.

Wondering if RDS shows interest. Or maybe he lands a radio gig, like it often happens when TV personalities get ousted for one reason or another.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I’ve been looking for this thread for the past 10 minutes, lol.

Wanted to post this:

It was already known that he’d be leaving Spanre but now they’ve established it’ll be at the end of the month.

Wondering if RDS shows interest. Or maybe he lands a radio gig, like it often happens when TV personalities get ousted for one reason or another.

He was the best there lol. TVA sports is a complete mess.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Marinaro's podcast is pathetic, can't listen to it anymore ,no decent content,boring guests and Laraque,well nuff said.I actually enjoy listening to Matt Ohayon on Fridays,but please don't let Marinaro know his head will explode.:popcorn:

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Marinaro's podcast is pathetic, can't listen to it anymore ,no decent content,boring guests and Laraque,well nuff said.I actually enjoy listening to Matt Ohayon on Fridays,but please don't let Marinaro know his head will explode.:popcorn:
It’s super slow most of the time and the guests are mostly unknown , he would be better off just taking calls.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

1000x better than anything on 690 right now. Listening to John Still ask about freaking video replay after discussing the Struble signing made zero sense and was pathetically weak. You can tell McGuire doesn't like him either lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad