TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Villeneuve is a controversial figure in his own right and somewhat of a loose cannon but, he does have his Franco media contacts.

And just as every story has other sides, he’s claiming that there was a coup that led to Jean’s departure from Spanre and how Renaud was responsible for his departure.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022

Villeneuve is a controversial figure in his own right and somewhat of a loose cannon but, he does have his Franco media contacts.

And just as every story has other sides, he’s claiming that there was a coup that led to Jean’s departure from Spanre and how Renaud was responsible for his departure.

Michel "Le Mouton Noir" Villeneuve

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We have the best on air clowns.

“Hey, free coffee!” “Call me first!” “On, ugh, ah-TSN690!”

How is this guy still on air? Student radio strikes again!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was surprised to hear a 690 promo for the Saturday morning 7-9 AM slot that includes Joey Alfieri, who has returned to the station via the back door.

I believe he was there last week too, as part of a trio with Simon and « Trenta-dewy. »

So much for the big hoopla by Melnick when he had announced a little over a year ago the « big » news that Alfieri was leaving 690 and joining the Als.

These guys are taking over Matthew Ross’ spot that was left vacant since he stopped doing his show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The zingers keep on coming on Twitter about what is likely to have transpired that led to Louis Jean leaving Spanre.

Like this one:

The difference between Renaud Lavoie and Louis Jean? One is an insider while the other is « inside her ». :oops:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you’re on Twitter, has this happened to you yet?

machine-gun-sylvester-stallone.gif

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
La vérité sur l’affaire Louis Jean à TVA Sports

There you go. But you guys had it here first anyway. Wink, wink.

Goddamit, bro, I was about to break that important news!

Seems like the conflict started in 2021 when the Habs were in the playoffs. And Renault asked to not be in studio at the same time as Louis. But TVA Sparre didn't do that so they tried to remain professional even though the tension was big when they were on TV. But when the cameras were off, they didn't talk at all. But they never fought though! (Who would win?). It's crazy that this lasted a whole year and those working there said the ambiance was not too great. And Louis seemed removed from his colleagues. Then TVA probably decided that it was enough and offered Louis a job as a reporter and he refused.

That's kind of a shame as Louis was kind of the face of TVA sparre, the only tolerable guy with Max and Lats. If I had a choice I would have kept him and send Renaut away. lol Cause he's so annoying.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Seems like the conflict started in 2021 when the Habs were in the playoffs. And Renault asked to not be in studio at the same time as Louis. But TVA Sparre didn't do that so they tried to remain professional even though the tension was big when they were on TV. But when the cameras were off, they didn't talk at all. But they never fought though! (Who would win?). It's crazy that this lasted a whole year and those working there said the ambiance was not too great. And Louis seemed removed from his colleagues. Then TVA probably decided that it was enough and offered Louis a job as a reporter and he refused.

That's kind of a shame as Louis was kind of the face of TVA sparre, the only tolerable guy with Max and Lats. If I had a choice I would have kept him and send Renaut away. lol Cause he's so annoying.
Renaud does appear to be the one who was wronged so in the end Spanre had to side with the aggrieved party or risk a ton of backlash.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaffy27

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017

I learned about this last summer. I know someone working with the beat reporters and it was known info within TVA pundits.

Shame it happened. Louis is what ressembles the American model of sports broadcaster the most in Canada: flair, style and substance. And wasn’t afraid to shut Bergie’s mouth when he was spouting stupid shit. I liked him.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I learned about this last summer. I know someone working with the beat reporters and it was known info within TVA pundits.

Shame it happened. Louis is what ressembles the American model of sports broadcaster the most in Canada: flair, style and substance. And wasn’t afraid to shut Bergie’s mouth when he was spouting stupid shit. I liked him.

For sure they had the perfect guy for it. He could question guys, be tough yet remaining professional. TVA made a huge coup when they got him. I remember seeing him when he was at Sportsnet thinking he was impressive by his takes and how professional he came off as. Plus a french guy who could handle himself so well in English as well. I remember thinking if I ran a sport station in Montreal, he would be my firrst pick.

I was reading a few things on Dans Les Coulisses and it said that there are rumours that TVA Sport may not renew their deal with the NHL which is close to ending. If that's the case then it may not be that dramatic for Louis other than his reputation.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

A guy with Louis’ experience and mastery of English could easily transition to a network in another province or even the US. He’ll be fine. Meantime, we remain stuck with Renaud. :sarcasm:

Might RDS come calling? They could sure ditch some of their appalling deadwood and feature Jean instead.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kimota

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s one thing to not to be enthused about Lavoie’s work but to blame him for Jean’s departure, is beyond the pail.

I wouldn’t be surprised at the type of Neanderthal comments he must have received, Twitter can be the ultimate quagmire and most can ply their trade unscathed.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah that is sad.

For sure they had the perfect guy for it. He could question guys, be tough yet remaining professional. TVA made a huge coup when they got him. I remember seeing him when he was at Sportsnet thinking he was impressive by his takes and how professional he came off as. Plus a french guy who could handle himself so well in English as well. I remember thinking if I ran a sport station in Montreal, he would be my firrst pick.

I was reading a few things on Dans Les Coulisses and it said that there are rumours that TVA Sport may not renew their deal with the NHL which is close to ending. If that's the case then it may not be that dramatic for Louis other than his reputation.
It ends in 2025.

Reactions: MarkJ and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is old news but I somehow missed the passing of Fred Hickman only a few months ago. Hickman anchored an avant-garde nightly sports show with Nick Charles (who passed in 2011) on CNN that I enjoyed immensely:

I had lost track of them over the years, as life got in the way, as well as sports on demand coming from a multiplicity of sources, diverted my attention. I only found out now that they were commonly referred to as “Nick & Hick”.

The duo worked together on CNN’s nightly sportscast for almost 20 years. The chemistry they had on camera reflected their friendship off of it. This tribute upon Nick Charles’ passing in 2011, is a testament to that:

These guys were the best at what they did and I felt lucky to have witnessed it when shows were live and you generally couldn’t get a second crack at viewing them, if you missed out.

Belated RIP.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schooner Guy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This is old news but I somehow missed the passing of Fred Hickman only a few months ago. Hickman anchored an avant-garde nightly sports show with Nick Charles (who passed in 2011) on CNN that I enjoyed immensely:

I had lost track of them over the years, as life got in the way, as well as sports on demand coming from a multiplicity of sources, diverted my attention. I only found out now that they were commonly referred to as “Nick & Hick”.

The duo worked together on CNN’s nightly sportscast for almost 20 years. The chemistry they had on camera reflected their friendship off of it. This tribute upon Nick Charles’ passing in 2011, is a testament to that:

These guys were the best at what they did and I felt lucky to have witnessed it when shows were live and you generally couldn’t get a second crack at viewing them, if you missed out.

Belated RIP.

It's crazy to me that I never knew cnn even had a sports show on their network.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad