TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is it Tsalikis that is always bragging about selling houses over market value? Now if I were a buyer, why the hell would I buy from him knowing I am overpaying? :laugh:
Maybe brag about how quickly he sells them instead would be better marketing?

His goal is to have a seller contact him to sell their house. So his ads will obviously boast about the houses he helps sell for more than the asking price.

If the buyer is willing to pay more to buy the house, who's fault is it really? Not Tsalikis'.

Reactions: tazsub3

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I heard Tony going ballistic exaggerating his self importance as a member of the media.

First he says that it’s not about the media but how Price needs to address the fans directly. But then he follows that up with a scenario where reporters would be interacting with Price.

No one cares what Price says about his return to play — we have other sources for that. And the media has gone rogue anyway, they seem to mostly ask questions that benefit them rather than acting as a conduit for the fans.

I'm okay with him wanting Price to speak. What I don't get is he expects Price to let us know if he wants to be here or leave. And the pundits Tony interacts with that he says this to tell him that Price will never say he wants to leave.

Reactions: Redux91

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
I haven't listened to it, but I saw a title that said Bruno Gervais thinks the Habs are one or 2 players away from being a good team. That is such a moronic assessment. That's like saying I'm 1 or 2 million dollars away from being a millionaire! Assuming he's talking about franchise players, they'd need at least a top D, a top G and a top C.
And how would he think they'll just aquire these guys anyway?
Did anyone actually listen to it?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I haven't listened to it, but I saw a title that said Bruno Gervais thinks the Habs are one or 2 players away from being a good team. That is such a moronic assessment. That's like saying I'm 1 or 2 million dollars away from being a millionaire! Assuming he's talking about franchise players, they'd need at least a top D, a top G and a top C.

I didn't hear it. But you made me laugh with the "I'm 1 or 2 million dollars from being a millionaire." :laugh:

Reactions: Schwang

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

Carey Price and Phillip Danault make the team better for sure.

Reactions: Garry Valk

benthepr0p

Mar 7, 2018
He's not wrong. Gretzky and Lemieux in their prime would have us competing.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Garber. Auto-correct got me.

There was no internet in those days. Hosts were our news source and needed to be on the ball. They were also more seasoned.

Now you have these guys fresh out of the control room and who are simply reading the internet back to you and some of them can’t even enunciate. And they can’t ad lib for shit, they have limited experience to draw from and they quickly become exposed.
Melnick is the only one at 690 old enough to be able to reference stuff that happened more than 10 years ago. Marinaro is close to 50 himself but only remembers back as far as the 79 Cup. The younger ones have never so much as read a book in their lives. They just sit in front of the internet with no original takes of their own.

And of course you get these guys "fresh out of the control room" as opposed to seasoned, experienced sports journalists for one simple reason: they work cheap.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It’s not about insulting, it’s about demanding a modicum of professionalism like we’ve experienced with the most beloved radio hosts we’ve been lucky to listen to over the years.

I think I’m going to be looking at other sources. XM radio sounds interesting.
Radio is no longer a professional communication medium. It simply doesn't pay well enough to attract the best people. It employs whoever it can get cheaply and the people who run things actually prefer that their on-air "talent" isn't too talented or popular, lest they be more difficult to get rid of down the line.

And they ALWAYS get rid of them eventually.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Holy crap.. first time I hear of this

No offense but where the hell have you been for the last couple of years?

Oddly enough Keri used to post at the old Fanhome site on the Expos page. He was barely out of his teens but always posted well thought out takes and seemed like a regular guy from Cote St. Luc whenever I read or interacted with him online. It's too bad because he would have been a good source of information during this whole Ex-Rays fiasco. But the guy is a piece of cheese who clearly has anger management issues and he definitely deserves some prison time. But whatever happens, his career as an author, reporter and anything else in the public eye is over. His reputation can never be rehabilitated enough to get him back to where he was.

Even Dino Sisto was able to salvage a few shreds of his professional life after his fall from grace, but he never went to prison and as bad as he behaved he wasn't anywhere near as appalling as Keri.

Mandalorian

Screw the tank, just WIN BABY!
Jan 3, 2022
In your head, rent free
You couldn't be further from the truth. We can at least give him something, he played the game and coached for a long time. So he has that experience to bring to the table.
lmao never got why the guy get so much hate around here. Even a guys like Brunet most of the time brings something to the table.

Reactions: Kimota

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
lmao never got why the guy get so much hate around here. Even a guys like Brunet most of the time brings something to the table.

Because these type of guys are not politically correct in a way that they don't circle around to get to a point and don't mind if some people might be offended. They say what they think and in a authoritative fashion. And that can be scary to some people. ;)

I know that some old guys can be tedious and boring and saying cliches but I like Flynn because he doesn't do that. He might be an old dog but I always like his insight.

Reactions: Mandalorian

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
First time listening in so long and I’m quite certain Gallo is mouth breathing into a live mic when not talking.

I thought I was going insane, but I swear you can hear the ghost of Darth Vader in the background.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm okay with him wanting Price to speak. What I don't get is he expects Price to let us know if he wants to be here or leave. And the pundits Tony interacts with that he says this to tell him that Price will never say he wants to leave.

It’s not about Price speaking that he cares about but that he, Tony Marinaro and his ilk , get to interact with Price directly. He’s not liking that we’re getting our updates via his wife’s social media.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
First time listening in so long and I’m quite certain Gallo is mouth breathing into a live mic when not talking.

I thought I was going insane, but I swear you can hear the ghost of Darth Vader in the background.

My all time favorite Gallo slight was when Gallo had gone on vacation with his buddies a couple of years ago and posted several shirtless pics from the beach on his social media accounts.

Ward saw the pics and dubbed him the Danny DeVito of beach wear. :laugh:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No offense but where the hell have you been for the last couple of years?

Oddly enough Keri used to post at the old Fanhome site on the Expos page. He was barely out of his teens but always posted well thought out takes and seemed like a regular guy from Cote St. Luc whenever I read or interacted with him online. It's too bad because he would have been a good source of information during this whole Ex-Rays fiasco. But the guy is a piece of cheese who clearly has anger management issues and he definitely deserves some prison time. But whatever happens, his career as an author, reporter and anything else in the public eye is over. His reputation can never be rehabilitated enough to get him back to where he was.

Even Dino Sisto was able to salvage a few shreds of his professional life after his fall from grace, but he never went to prison and as bad as he behaved he wasn't anywhere near as appalling as Keri.

I was a Fanhome regular and interacted with Keri all the time. He was a huge proponent of Sabrmetrics back then which led to a lot of animated discussions with those who sided with lawn chair scouts who made their assessments based on visual observations.

I have no idea about what he did now (I have some catching up to do) and regardless of what he stood for and whatever career he had in the baseball world, I have no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who is convicted of a crime.

Reactions: George Lebay

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Where is Nilan? Haven’t heard him in weeks.

Thank god

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Chris man, loved you as the player you were for the way the game was played at the time.

But now, you need to get the f*** out of the airwaves, you’re a hopeless bore, you can’t conduct an interview if your life depended on it and you’ve learned nothing despite years of hand holding at the station.

PS: I'm aware his dad passed not long ago and we've given our condolences in this thread. Nothing personal, it's the business side of radio.

Last edited:

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Radio is no longer a professional communication medium. It simply doesn't pay well enough to attract the best people. It employs whoever it can get cheaply and the people who run things actually prefer that their on-air "talent" isn't too talented or popular, lest they be more difficult to get rid of down the line.

And they ALWAYS get rid of them eventually.
Podcasting is the new radio IMO. They're far better than the mouth breathers Campbell and Gallo on TSN 690. There's a lot of great informative podcasts online that I'd much rather listen to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad