TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I'm shocked by the negative responses towards Flynn. I've always hated him on RDS but he's been refreshing and good in his exchanges with Tony. He's much more interesting in english than in french.

Reactions: Redux91

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
What’s with Bruno Gevais saying the Habs are only one or two players away from being good again?!

ItzaGreat

How's your Mario impression?
Oct 22, 2017
World 2 - 3
I'm shocked by the negative responses towards Flynn. I've always hated him on RDS but he's been refreshing and good in his exchanges with Tony. He's much more interesting in english than in french.
He's a bit of an old boy from the old boy's club.

His analysis is often: "need more toughness."

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
He's a bit of an old boy from the old boy's club.

His analysis is often: "need more toughness."

Nothing wrong with that. You need all the opinions and takes from every sides. Even his point of view can come up with interesting stuff. Even Don Cherry would come up with interesting stuff. You don't have to only be a technocrat to be interesting.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
We would somehow be the 40th place team in the league instead of the 32nd if the Habs listened to Flynn's takes.

Reactions: Runner77

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
What’s with Bruno Gevais saying the Habs are only one or two players away from being good again?!

Ya…..I’d say 5 players away

i believe 2yrs of top 2 drafting plus the 3rd year being a top 10 pick with us dealing vets away and acquiring some good prospects plus our prospects…..year 4 we are competing this year being year 1

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Ya…..I’d say 5 players away

i believe 2yrs of top 2 drafting plus the 3rd year being a top 10 pick with us dealing vets away and acquiring some good prospects plus our prospects…..year 4 we are competing this year being year 1
4 years! What will the old farts on this board do? Write their spot in the Cup parade into their wills so their grandchildren will get to experience a winning team?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
4 years! What will the old farts on this board do? Write their spot in the Cup parade into their wills so their grandchildren will get to experience a winning team?
:laugh:

we’ll put you in carbonite and wake you up when it’s time lol

han-solo-carbonite-empire-strikes-back.gif

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
I listened to Morency from his beginnings on Montreal radio. He used to get under people’s skin but that was all part of his act. He’s now on XM.

Some of the terms he tried to coin were downright corny. I used to cringe whenever he blurted out « mother phantoms ». Like WTF was that?

And then he’d organize these get togethers with his listeners and it sounded like a motorcycle gang in a bunker atmosphere but at least the guy tried stuff and he was different.

I never forgot when he used to claim that the best rock station in Montreal was in Burlington, Vermont: 99.9 FM The Buzz. He was right and it still is.

Morency’s musical selection was hip for the time. He was a good one all right. Big personality, commanded attention and left no one indifferent and man could he rattle out stuff.

The Buzz is shit. Went from being a good, hard rock alternative station to whatever the hell it is now, playing soft ass crap. Was good back in the 90's.

And if i have to hear another "buy a nicer newer car here at lemoyne valley ford" or whatever it's called...

tbh there are no truly great radio stations now...just gotta play your xm stuff or spotify.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
There was another one i liked, totally forgot his name, he was loud, aggressive and amazing to listen to, in end he did mostly late night before moving to the us. I think also called mitch.
since i read your message i have been trying to remember his name but my memory failing me.

Gabriel Morency. He was the f***ing BEST. Miss him terribly, those were great late nights. (He was so good Sirius gave him his own show and thats why he left Team990, but he got fired for doing a few shows inebriated lol)
He sounded like Jim Rome quite a bit I thought too

I'll never forget his last words of his last show broadcasting live from a sportsbar celebrating his leaving : " Sirius Satelite. HELLO ... Team990? GOOD LUCK."

I listened to Morency from his beginnings on Montreal radio. He used to get under people’s skin but that was all part of his act. He’s now on XM.

Some of the terms he tried to coin were downright corny. I used to cringe whenever he blurted out « mother phantoms ». Like WTF was that?

And then he’d organize these get togethers with his listeners and it sounded like a motorcycle gang in a bunker atmosphere but at least the guy tried stuff and he was different.

I never forgot when he used to claim that the best rock station in Montreal was in Burlington, Vermont: 99.9 FM The Buzz. He was right and it still is.

Morency’s musical selection was hip for the time. He was a good one all right. Big personality, commanded attention and left no one indifferent and man could he rattle out stuff.

Morency was the guitarist/singer of speed metal band Homicide in the 90s.

It looks like he re formed the band recently.

Morrency was the best, he never cared what others thought.
I still listen to him daily, should say nightly as his show starts at midnight but there isnt much hockey talk.
Talk A lot about football and basketball to cater to his American following which is most of his audience.

He moved back to Canada, he is based out of Vancouver now

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Morrency was the best, he never cared what others thought.
I still listen to him daily, should say nightly as his show starts at midnight but there isnt much hockey talk.
Talk A lot about football and basketball to cater to his American following which is most of his audience.

He moved back to Canada, he is based out of Vancouver now

Thanks for the update. Happy for him that he’s doing great.

Angler

Jan 16, 2006
How is anybody "shocked" that people don't agree with Norman Flynn's hockey opinion? You just need to listen to the guy to realize that his takes are awful. On top of that, he's boring too. If you have someone making ridiculous statements on a media network, they should at least be entertaining... Like Tony...

Last edited:

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
How is anybody "shocked" that people don't agree with Norman Flynn's hockey opinion? You just need to listen to the guy to realize that his takes are awful. On top of that, he's boring too. If you have someone making ridiculous statements on a media network, they should at least be entertaining... Like Tony...
Normand Flynn says logic facts sometimes, just as Don Cherry or anybody else. A show like Marinano need controversial to have good ratings. A good debate between those two is a good thing. You might disagree with Flynn but at least you listened to a different opinion. When on RDS they have Gervais, Damph and Brunet and they all agree on the same stuff, it's boring. Well, Brunet is always bogging with the tone of his voice, he talk like older than he is, like an old grumpy Mario Tremblay or Flynn. But whatever, without some dinosaur or a grumpy man in the debate, any show is boring.

cheeseburgers

Jan 23, 2020
Two really good segments recently that I'd recommend (on their Audio section of website) were Bill Guerin with Tony and GM Hughes on Melnick

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Is it Tsalikis that is always bragging about selling houses over market value? Now if I were a buyer, why the hell would I buy from him knowing I am overpaying? :laugh:
Maybe brag about how quickly he sells them instead would be better marketing?
I dont think anyone needs a commercial to know that right now it is a sellers market.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I heard Tony going ballistic exaggerating his self importance as a member of the media.

First he says that it’s not about the media but how Price needs to address the fans directly. But then he follows that up with a scenario where reporters would be interacting with Price.

No one cares what Price says about his return to play — we have other sources for that. And the media has gone rogue anyway, they seem to mostly ask questions that benefit them rather than acting as a conduit for the fans.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
If only TSN 690 can pull a Habs and overhaul the entire station.

Roberson need his own show IMO. I know they have their own critics but I’d love for Basu, Dumont, Godin and Denis to have their own shows on the station as well.

FFS, I’d even want Dreiger to have his own show even if it just talks about hockey in general and not just the Habs.

I don’t have my pulse in the sports community in Montreal but I’m making an assumption there isn’t much to talk about outside the Habs…

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If only TSN 690 can pull a Habs and overhaul the entire station.

Roberson need his own show IMO. I know they have their own critics but I’d love for Basu, Dumont, Godin and Denis to have their own shows on the station as well.

FFS, I’d even want Dreiger to have his own show even if it just talks about hockey in general and not just the Habs.

I don’t have my pulse in the sports community in Montreal but I’m making an assumption there isn’t much to talk about outside the Habs…

There sure are some interesting talking heads who are knowledgeable and well spoken and who could carry a show.

All the guys you mention wouldn’t come cheap though and that’s what happens when you’re catering to a limited market — the revenue base may not justify these hires.

Other guy to add to your list — PJ O’Connor. Well spoken, pragmatic, had a brief stint in the NHL, brings perspective.

Reactions: sandviper

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
There sure are some interesting talking heads who are knowledgeable and well spoken and who could carry a show.

All the guys you mention wouldn’t come cheap though and that’s what happens when you’re catering to a limited market — the revenue base may not justify these hires.

Other guy to add to your list — PJ O’Connor. Well spoken, pragmatic, had a brief stint in the NHL, brings perspective.

Honestly, you and I can probably do a more entertaining show.

Anything would be better than some of the inane commentary, letting half drunk and clueless callers on air and having Mariano talk about his sex life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad