TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Different league when it comes to salary too…..I guess you really get what you pay for.
Besides Melnick, Marinaro and Starr, you gotta think nobody there makes more then 60k a year, some even less.

I get the whole demographics and ratings aspect. I’d much have some nationally Canadian syndicated shows with great hosts than some of these truly abhorrent locals that have a pungent community radio vibe to them.

Used to enjoy Tevan, Mitch Garber and others many moons ago. How far we have sunk.

Last edited:
Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Who’s “Marc in the morning”? Is that out of Toronto?

Over the years, Johnson is the type of broadcaster I’ve always enjoyed. Not enough like him, sadly.
Marc denis . He is on Tuesday and Thursday in the morning. hahah i was typing fast while working, i know i was not clear sorry :).

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marc denis . He is on Tuesday and Thursday in the morning. hahah i was typing fast while working, i know i was not clear sorry :).

No worries. I should have caught that since I do listen to the morning show.

Does anyone know why Shaun Starr changes his voice whenever he does commercials? It always cracks me up, looks to me that he tries real hard to sound American.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I get the whole demographics and ratings aspect. I’d much have some nationally Canadian syndicated shows with great hosts than some of these truly abhorrent locals that have a pungent community radio vibe to them.

Used to enjoy Tevan, Mitch Garner and others many moons ago. How far we have sunk.
tevan was great, you mean mitch garber right?
I sometimes wonder though, did we just apreciate it more as we had less access to info and we absorbed every word said? and vice vica the host knew he was the eyes of the listener and put his heart and soul into it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
tevan was great, you mean mitch garber right?
I sometimes wonder though, did we just apreciate it more as we had less access to info and we absorbed every word said? and vice vica the host knew he was the eyes of the listener and put his heart and soul into it?

Garber. Auto-correct got me.

There was no internet in those days. Hosts were our news source and needed to be on the ball. They were also more seasoned.

Now you have these guys fresh out of the control room and who are simply reading the internet back to you and some of them can’t even enunciate. And they can’t ad lib for shit, they have limited experience to draw from and they quickly become exposed.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Garber. Auto-correct got me.

There was no internet in those days. Hosts were our news source and needed to be on the ball. They were also more seasoned.

Now you have these guys fresh out of the control room and who are simply reading the internet back to you and some of them can’t even enunciate.
There was another one i liked, totally forgot his name, he was loud, aggressive and amazing to listen to, in end he did mostly late night before moving to the us. I think also called mitch.
since i read your message i have been trying to remember his name but my memory failing me.

edit:. some very kind posters reminded me the name! It is gabriel morency!

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
There was another one i liked, totally forgot his name, he was loud, aggressive and amazing to listen to, in end he did mostly late night before moving to the us. I think also called mitch.
since i read your message i have been trying to remember his name but my memory failing me.

I only remember Jeff Rimmer going to the US. He used to do Pulse sportscasts. He might have also been doing some radio at the time.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

Gabriel Morency. He was the f***ing BEST. Miss him terribly, those were great late nights. (He was so good Sirius gave him his own show and thats why he left Team990, but he got fired for doing a few shows inebriated lol)
He sounded like Jim Rome quite a bit I thought too

I'll never forget his last words of his last show broadcasting live from a sportsbar celebrating his leaving : " Sirius Satelite. HELLO ... Team990? GOOD LUCK."

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Gabriel Morency. He was the f***ing BEST. Miss him terribly, those were great late nights. (He was so good Sirius gave him his own show and thats why he left Team990, but he got fired for doing a few shows inebriated lol)
He sounded like Jim Rome quite a bit I thought too

I'll never forget his last words of his last show broadcasting live from a sportsbar celebrating his leaving : " Sirius Satelite. HELLO ... Team990? GOOD LUCK."

thank you sir ! Bloody hell my memory is abysmal . From Gabriel to Mitch lol I need to work less and rest lol

Reactions: Redux91

Corson27

Oct 30, 2016
No worries. I should have caught that since I do listen to the morning show.

Does anyone know why Shaun Starr changes his voice whenever he does commercials? It always cracks me up, looks to me that he tries real hard to sound American.
He tries too hard period. It cracks me up when, out of the blue, he inserts the token 3 or 4 french words in the middle of a conversation, almost exclusively when he is talking with a francophone guest (e.g. Marc Denis). I picture him puffing his chest with pride afterwards, wanting to say, hear what I just said there. :laugh:

Among the company he keeps, he's ok.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
thank you sir ! Bloody hell my memory is abysmal . From Gabriel to Mitch lol I need to work less and rest lol

I listened to Morency from his beginnings on Montreal radio. He used to get under people’s skin but that was all part of his act. He’s now on XM.

Some of the terms he tried to coin were downright corny. I used to cringe whenever he blurted out « mother phantoms ». Like WTF was that?

And then he’d organize these get togethers with his listeners and it sounded like a motorcycle gang in a bunker atmosphere but at least the guy tried stuff and he was different.

I never forgot when he used to claim that the best rock station in Montreal was in Burlington, Vermont: 99.9 FM The Buzz. He was right and it still is.

Morency’s musical selection was hip for the time. He was a good one all right. Big personality, commanded attention and left no one indifferent and man could he rattle out stuff.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I listened to Morency from his beginnings on Montreal radio. He used to get under people’s skin but that was all part of his act. He’s now on XM.

Some of the terms he tried to coin were downright corny. I used to cringe whenever he blurted out « mother phantoms ». Like WTF was that?

And then he’d organize these get togethers with his listeners and it sounded like a motorcycle gang in a bunker atmosphere but at least the guy tried stuff and he was different.

I never forgot when he used to claim that the best rock station in Montreal was in Burlington, Vermont: 99.9 FM The Buzz. He was right and it still is.

Morency’s musical selection was hip for the time. He was a good one all right. Big personality, commanded attention and left no one indifferent and man could he rattle out stuff.
the more we talk of those days, the more i realize how much we lacking in talent on radio today.
Though, still not enough of an excuse to insult any of the ones working at those station now.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
the more we talk of those days, the more i realize how much we lacking in talent on radio today.
Though, still not enough of an excuse to insult any of the ones working at those station now.

It’s not about insulting, it’s about demanding a modicum of professionalism like we’ve experienced with the most beloved radio hosts we’ve been lucky to listen to over the years.

I think I’m going to be looking at other sources. XM radio sounds interesting.

Licou

Sep 10, 2007
Longuh

Morency was the guitarist/singer of speed metal band Homicide in the 90s.

It looks like he re formed the band recently.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is what happens when your call letters stand for Low Cost News and you can’t afford competent staff to verify the most basic info.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
And yet the same owners at 800 AM keep bringing in new folks, different shows and they’re also playing to a similarly small Anglo audience. And most importantly, the people they bring in can string together several intelligent thoughts in one show. On 690 instead, they keep parading the same duds years on end.

Looks to me that ownership has decided it would rather focus on 800 and keep 690 as an afterthought.
CJAD bringing in "new folks"? Who, where? Besides Makos, no one new. Bell has gutted that station too, Andrew Carter (early morning), Elias Makos (late morning) and Rand/Hall in the late afternoon is all the relevant local content we get everything else is pretty much filler from Toronto. Evan Solomon at noon? He's good but cmon, it should be local all day. All the overnight and evening local hosts have disappeared. Shameful but then again Radio has been dying for awhile.

Reactions: RBZ

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Anyone else have this issue on tsn690 where the video's play button won't load?

Screenshot 2022-01-21 134903.jpg

Edit: Ahh they post the link to the audio before the program is done, I think I just need to wait.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Anyone else have this issue on tsn690 where the video's play button won't load?

View attachment 500462

It happened to me yesterday as well when I was trying to listen to the MJ segment. I've tried with different browsers and can't get some episodes to play. Other episodes seem to load just fine.

Any tips?

I've seen that happen many times with TSN690 segments that have already aired. I believe it's because the audio hasn't yet been uploaded but will be a bit later or that has been my experience. I don't get a play button on the Hughes segment yet either but it should work a bit later.

Edit: Marinaro had Bill Guerin on this morning as well but I missed it. I'll listen to both the Guerin segment and the Hughes segment later.

Guerin: Kent Hughes is a great hire!

Reactions: Canadienna

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
CJAD bringing in "new folks"? Who, where? Besides Makos, no one new. Bell has gutted that station too, Andrew Carter (early morning), Elias Makos (late morning) and Rand/Hall in the late afternoon is all the relevant local content we get everything else is pretty much filler from Toronto. Evan Solomon at noon? He's good but cmon, it should be local all day. All the overnight and evening local hosts have disappeared. Shameful but then again Radio has been dying for awhile.

Yes, Makos. Having Rand/Hall host together. Several local hosts on weekend programming that you didn’t mention.

Point is, there are changes made to AD’s programming on a regular basis. 690 has mostly been carrying the same hosts and programming for years and they’re just content with the talent level they get from their control room — very green candidates that are thrown to the wolves and who sound like they’re doing a community radio show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad