TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Good luck translating Martin McGuire in real time. That guy has a motormouth.
That speed would sound horrible with a computer voice. That would be scary, imagine a paranoid person listening that just before getting to sleep. Maybe it could work with a soft feminine voice. But then, I think about it and it would sound surreal.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That speed would sound horrible with a computer voice. That would be scary, imagine a paranoid person listening that just before getting to sleep. Maybe it could work with a soft feminine voice. But then, I think about it and it would sound surreal.
I preferred Robertson because of the voice and pace. He reminded me of the type of authoritative broadcasting voices from decades ago.

McGuire is great too but he’s way more wordy and sometimes you don’t want to have to process so many words in so little time, so it can get taxing.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I preferred Robertson because of the voice and pace. He reminded me of the type of authoritative broadcasting voices from decades ago.

McGuire is great too but he’s way more wordy and sometimes you don’t want to have to process so many words in so little time, so it can get taxing.
I wonder how McGuire would sound on tv because he wouldn't have to describe that much.
He's perfect when he talk in between games, not describing anything.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Listening to JiC this morning I’ve noticed it much more than other days and it bugs the hell out of me, Marinaro does it a lot too….. why do they continuously cut off their guest that they are interviewing? It’s so unprofessional and a complete lack of respect. Olivier Brett is in the middle of explaining himself and JIC just cuts him off to ask the next question. I understand each segment is timed but Let the f***in guy finish his thought, it’s called respect

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Damn, another massive blow to TSN 690

He didn’t and can’t say where he is going, but obviously TV somewhere, Dan Robertson is no longer the voice of the Montreal Canadiens English radio call.

More Sean Campbell folks.

I wish Dan well at whichever TV station he goes to because he truly is one of the best in the business
Sorry to hear Robertson is leaving. He was pretty good.

Sounds like a falling out at some point.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Sorry to hear Robertson is leaving. He was pretty good.

Sounds like a falling out at some point.

Definitely not a falling out. Robertson was way too good to stay in radio. Crazy no one poached him for 8 years.

Campbell does too much at the radio station to get the gig. I doubt he'd want that over doing a show with his best friend, pbp for the als and still get to do the habs pbp as a backup. It's a pretty good deal for him.

TSN will likely hire another talented pbp up-and-comer from the AHL like they did with Robertson and Bartlett before him.

Reactions: Inkling

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

wish he was doing TSN tv for the habs. great voice

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I really enjoyed Dan Robertsons work and seemingly as good a person as he was a broadcaster. He will be missed by many and easy to see ( hear) why.
Mike Stubbs who does radio for the London Knights would be a great replacement but I can't see it. He calls a great game and has that "voice"

habdynasty

May 26, 2008
Listening to JiC this morning I’ve noticed it much more than other days and it bugs the hell out of me, Marinaro does it a lot too….. why do they continuously cut off their guest that they are interviewing? It’s so unprofessional and a complete lack of respect. Olivier Brett is in the middle of explaining himself and JIC just cuts him off to ask the next question. I understand each segment is timed but Let the f***in guy finish his thought, it’s called respect
Marinaros guest would say 2 words and tony would always be ya , ya , ya. He also never got any big names guests or players, seems to be the same on his podcasts.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Robertson's a gem of a play-by-play guy and was a bright light when he appeared on the usually impotent Habs lunch show and offered some Habs insight. I'd rather watch my lawn grow then listen to an hour of Campbell vs Gallo on Habs lunch.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Robertson's a gem of a play-by-play guy and was a bright light when he appeared on the usually impotent Habs lunch show and offered some Habs insight. I'd rather watch my lawn grow then listen to an hour of Campbell vs Gallo on Habs lunch.

I wonder if he's permanently moving over to the tv side with tsn?

The tv side has had mudryk the last few years but he's usually not available the whole season. I wonder if he's coming back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I really enjoyed Dan Robertsons work and seemingly as good a person as he was a broadcaster. He will be missed by many and easy to see ( hear) why.
Mike Stubbs who does radio for the London Knights would be a great replacement but I can't see it. He calls a great game and has that "voice"
Being a good person was certainly a big part of his appeal for me. He is humble, respectful of others and can laugh at himself. He’s the type of indivifual that comes across as being easily approachable.

And he sure loves his donairs, as he’s mentioned them often over the years, lol.

I don’t see any of these qualities in Campbell. And of course this afternoon Campbell showed up on Melnick’s show and announced that he had been preparing his CV as soon as Robertson’s departure was announced and was still working on it.

To those who thought Campbell would not be in the mix for the job, we’ll he’s not out until he is. There must have been collective vomiting around the city when Campbell made it yet again about himself.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I wonder if he's permanently moving over to the tv side with tsn?

The tv side has had mudryk the last few years but he's usually not available the whole season. I wonder if he's coming back.
The rumours have him replacing Denis Beyak as the Jets play-by-play guy. Not sure if this is mere speculation.
Being a good person was certainly a big part of his appeal for me. He is humble, respectful of others and can laugh at himself. He’s the type of indivifual that comes across as being easily approachable.

And he sure loves his donairs, as he’s mentioned them often over the years, lol.
Robertson was a terrific and well known minor hockey player in NS in the 80s. I was told he got sick of playing and quit after Midget.

Reactions: RBZ and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Marinaros guest would say 2 words and tony would always be ya , ya , ya. He also never got any big names guests or players, seems to be the same on his podcasts.
The “ya-ya-ya” and “yes-yes-yes” thing was a figure of speech that Marinaro copied from Ted Tevan.

Tevan would mostly resort to the “yes-yes-yes” version but in a slower, more deliberate manner and usually after a guest had uttered a thought, not after having spoken two words.

It was a polite form of interjection but Tevan would use it to make a guest feel appreciated and understood, to show that Tevan was deeply involved in the moment of a particular interaction. Tevan would also say it when he sensed that a pause was coming in the conversation or where he felt a particular guest was nervous or uncomfortable about being on air.

Marinaro instead, ripped that off and uses it as it was not intended and sounds like a robotic meddler for no rhyme, nor reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBZ and Habs Icing

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Just had one on ba a in NS lol!

If ya get a chance to listen or watch Knights game this year tune into 1290am for the audio.
Stubbs is great also, well rspecred around the OHL. Think he may have gone out to Calgary for a brief stint but foes a great job. Seemingly alot of the same qualities Dan had off air (and on) Is shows when they are genuine, passiomate, well researched/prepared and make it about everything other than themselves. And not super Homer's ripping on every call against.

Excuse me while I go Google me some Vin Scully lol

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
For those unfamiliar with Ted Tevan, check out this clip, which has a great twist.

Way back before the Internet, listening to Ted was pure entertainment. He could take any topic and stretch it out for hours.

• Love
Reactions: RBZ and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
For those unfamiliar with Ted Tevan, check out this clip, which has a great twist.

Way back before the Internet, listening to Ted was pure entertainment. He could take any topic and stretch it out for hours.

Very few could ad lib like Ted Tevan, even though most of his contemporaries had the ability. Broadcasters from those years knew how to keep your attention, they were seasoned and had done their classes and toiled for years before earning a gig at the bigger stations.

Reactions: dinodebino

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Reggie Tremblay getting extended segments on Paul Houde’s Saturday show is just too much. He’s already on air weekdays, twice a day.

Add Deadwood Louis calling the station from morning til night and that Laraque’s me-myself-and I frenetic, high-pitched voiced, drama queen co-host and it makes you wonder who wants to listen to these lugs.

Luckily, there are other viable hosts and guests on the station. Getting to them requires some manoeuvring, however.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Echo the sentiments on Dan Robertson, he`s top notch. Believe he has been looking for something else for awhile. He mentioned last year that he had applied for a position with Seattle. Will definitely be interesting to hear his replacement.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Echo the sentiments on Dan Robertson, he`s top notch. Believe he has been looking for something else for awhile. He mentioned last year that he had applied for a position with Seattle. Will definitely be interesting to hear his replacement.

Yes he was looking for a TV gig.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad