TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I know I said this before.
Our local talk radio, not a national station. yet there every day sports , has this week again, a top end NHL coach on everyday to visit with on NHL and general hockey talk.

690 ? can't do this?

Reactions: jackeymoon

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What’s Melnick’s obsession with Bob Dylan and other equally unpleasant musical garbage? He’s just trolling at this point.

Good to hear a long time voice on the show today. One Terry Haig, now 80, is doing the sports updates.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
So many pollutants to wade through with these current radio lineups.

I already have Campbell vs. his Garden Gnome on ignore.

I’ll be jumping frequencies whenever Reggie The Ethnophobe Dinosaur is on BPM. And, of course, Marinaro and his clown segments — no thanks, I can get my comedy elsewhere, from real standups, not a guy who is trying way to hard to sound funny.
Since there is no real content and the idiots opinions are known already, I choose not to listen at all. If there was a call-in show where I could hear other opinions with the host just moderating maybe would tune in, but those days are over. Add in the lame commercials on repeat and I'll stick to music I like on Sirius XM when I want to listen to something.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
What’s Melnick’s obsession with Bob Dylan and other equally unpleasant musical garbage? He’s just trolling at this point.

Good to hear a long time voice on the show today. One Terry Haig, now 80, is doing the sports updates.
And he’s doing a terrible job at it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And he’s doing a terrible job at it
Haig is just a nostalgia appearance. He won’t stick around, he’s way past his prime at this point. How many 80-year olds would sound better, lol.

Of course, Haig caused quite the ruckus in his heyday, with controversial segments involving Expos dirt.

Reactions: dinodebino

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Haig is just a nostalgia appearance. He won’t stick around, he’s way past his prime at this point. How many 80-year olds would sound better, lol.

Of course, Haig caused quite the ruckus in his heyday, with controversial segments involving Expos dirt.
Haig was a hoot in the days.

Reactions: Runner77

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Langlois is having a good program tonight so far. Not that I like him that much but he certyainly is better than what 690 can offer. Well, no big deal because 690 is not hard to beat.

edit : radio communautaire, radio McGill and radio UDM could do a better sport show if they try.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
He was a hip guy who was on Fanhome and who was nice enough to connect with forum contributors. I ended up attending an Expos game with him, as a result. A great, unexpected memory that I will always cherish.
Ahhhh, with Big Owe and the others!

Langlois is having a good program tonight so far. Not that I like him that much but he certyainly is better than what 690 can offer. Well, no big deal because 690 is not hard to beat.

edit : radio communautaire, radio McGill and radio UDM could do a better sport show if they try.
Langlois must be preaching against a rebuild and in favor of more Québecois in the team. Am I right? Because that’s what he does.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Langlois must be preaching against a rebuild and in favor of more Québecois in the team. Am I right? Because that’s what he does.
He does that sometimes. I didn't listened to his show that much tonight. I was busy here and there in my house.
But beside not preaching for more quebecois players, what does Marinaro, Nilan and the rest of 690 does more?

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
How desperate is Marinaro ? He brings dum dum on his show .what a f#$&ing moron.good luck with your ratings Tony!:deadhorse

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
He does that sometimes. I didn't listened to his show that much tonight. I was busy here and there in my house.
But beside not preaching for more quebecois players, what does Marinaro, Nilan and the rest of 690 does more?
Langlois is a great talker. That’s his greatest talent. He’s lazy when it comes to studying and learning about sports facts. He’s got an agenda, that he piledrives to no end.

He’s a superficial sports talker and commentator. He ain’t no Cosell or Al Michaels, let’s just say that.

Sports commentators that entertain people should be studying and reading EVERYTHING about sports. Not just fly by with the headlines and pretend to know.

JiCi is somewhat of the same ilk BUT I have to admit that his general sports knowledge is vastly superior to Langlois’. JiCi reads about the NHL, not just the Habs. And he’s got season ticks to the FCMontreal and loves the team. Plus, he follows the NFL a lot. JiCi is a big mouth who likes to listen to his own voice. And does have the same political agenda as Langlois. But AT LEAST he knows about all major sports. Langlois is just lazy. Mario used to be dynamic and a good interviewer. And Radio-Canada thought the same once by hiring. I think they realized he’s a shill.

And I don’t listen to Marinaro. Got not time for that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Langlois…..???

Was he the one that use to be on RDS and grilled Chantelois on air for poking fun at Jacques Martin for having big ears?

The name sounds familiar

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Langlois is a great talker. That’s his greatest talent. He’s lazy when it comes to studying and learning about sports facts. He’s got an agenda, that he piledrives to no end.

He’s a superficial sports talker and commentator. He ain’t no Cosell or Al Michaels, let’s just say that.

Sports commentators that entertain people should be studying and reading EVERYTHING about sports. Not just fly by with the headlines and pretend to know.

JiCi is somewhat of the same ilk BUT I have to admit that his general sports knowledge is vastly superior to Langlois’. JiCi reads about the NHL, not just the Habs. And he’s got season ticks to the FCMontreal and loves the team. Plus, he follows the NFL a lot. JiCi is a big mouth who likes to listen to his own voice. And does have the same political agenda as Langlois. But AT LEAST he knows about all major sports. Langlois is just lazy. Mario used to be dynamic and a good interviewer. And Radio-Canada thought the same once by hiring. I think they realized he’s a shill.

Media people’s political agendas don’t bother me so long as they don’t use their sports platform to diffuse them, to create divisive, belittling demagoguery that adds nothing to a sports discussion.

There are so many of them in the sports arena that use the airwaves, their websites and papers to act like zealots for the political agenda they foam at the mouth for. Yes, that includes Mario Langue-sale and JiC, but so many others led by Reggie the Anglophobe, Philippe Cantin, Kevin Raphael (he’s trying way too hard to pander to zealots but then acts like someone else on English radio), Marc de Foy and so many more.

If any of them want to discuss politics, there are other outlets they can go to. But no, they’d much rather let their sewage continue to seep into sports coverage and it reeks.

Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004

Well said about Langlois, lazy is the perfect adjective to describe him. Not at all interested in digging to provide good content, just looks for the easiest way to stirr up controversy. Usually that involves bringing up anything to do with language or lack of french speaking Quebecers on the team. So predictable and lame, he's so awful. JiCi on the other while he can be nauseating to listen to, I have to admit at least puts in the effort.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
God, I forgot how damn awful, arcane caller Louis from wherever the f*** he’s from, calls in and monopolizes the airwaves with the same takes he’s been spewing over the last 40 years.

His tone of voice is particularly irritating, he’s the human equivalent of rotting wood. You can hear the sound of rot being accelerated in real time, if you listen closely.

Not content with bombarding every Franco radio show with calls, he is even more unbearable on Twitter where he acts like a shameless brown noser, trying way too hard to pander to any sports personality. The lengths he goes to are cringe level, addressing them with “my dear” and absurd veneration.

I got tired of the dumb polls he was posting on a weekly basis. I wasn’t even following him but he kept popping up when I did hockey searches. The block feature couldn’t have been more handy.

Louis and Reggie keep my radio dial on edge, truly abhorrent black holes, if you’re getting your sports fix from Franco radio to any extent.
Did you hear him yesterday??
He called Georges Laraque, I almost crashed my pickup when he said "my next captain is Joel Edmundson, I watch him play and I see Larry Robinson"

I like Edmundson, Im a fan of his, but Larry Robinson?? CMON MAN

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Listening to BPM, I find Laraque’s new on air partner is too full of himself. He’s beyond annoying. I can only listen in small doses. It’s like the whole world revolves around him.

The guy was the founder of DamsLesCouillesLisses and used his website to land an on air job. However, he’s no Gonzo, who was so pleasant and humble. This new guy is a trashy attention bore.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Listening to BPM, I find Laraque’s new on air partner is too full of himself. He’s beyond annoying. I can only listen in small doses. It’s like the whole world revolves around him.

The guy was the founder of DamsLesCouillesLisses and used his website to land an on air job. However, he’s no Gonzo, who was so pleasant and humble. This new guy is a trashy attention bore.

BPM lost two of my favorites in Gonzo and Doucet. And it's not like I listened to them every day, but when I did, I enjoyed listening to them.

It will be fun to hear what La Poche Bleue has in store because they both will be there. And I like Lapierre and Latendresse (they make hockey on TVA Sports entertaining). So I like all 4 of them.

Reactions: jrom and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
BPM lost two of my favorites in Gonzo and Doucet. And it's not like I listened to them every day, but when I did, I enjoyed listening to them.

It will be fun to hear what La Poche Bleue has in store because they both will be there. And I like Lapierre and Latendresse (they make hockey on TVA Sports entertaining). So I like all 4 of them.
La Poche Bleue has stolen some really good talents. Money must have been a huge factor since generally, radio jobs are not high paying.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I actually love when Melnyk talks about or puts music on. Maybe because I'm deeply traumatised by my generation's music, so hearing Melnyk have younger people hear actual good music can make them realize that music can be something else than what they've had shoved down their throat all their lives by armies of talentless producers.

I really believe that being in contact with great works of art can change a person's life. Melnyk's doing the lord's work.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad