TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I would agree but the guys who talk about sports in french here are absolute maroons aswell
There are many that are maroons and many that are not. On the English side they are mostly amateurs
like Tsalikis. The English side is a graveyard.
Regardless of language, the Montreal sports radio landscape in general, has become a brutal proposition. Better off looking elsewhere.
I wonder if that's not an indication of Montreal becoming a 3rd tier city. When I was growing up Montreal was one of the top 5 cities in North America. It was up there with New York, L.A., and Chicago. Today, it may not even be in the top 3 in Canada.

On the English side, 690 has just given up. Campbell is unemployable as a radio personality and yet, they keep throwing gigs at him. They clearly don’t want to spend the money it takes to attract better talents.
That's because the market isn't there to pay for better talents.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Another broadcaster blindsided by Bell Media.

Same as Bell Media has been doing with its sports hosts across the country.

You’re one of the lucky ones, Lisa — you’ve gotten to ply your trade until age 58 while many others experienced Bell’s ejectable seats much earlier in their careers, with a mortgage and bills to pay. I remember one radio personality who just had a kid when the ax fell.

No worries, though. The “Let’s Talk” campaign is only 4 months away. Asswipes.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

You’re one of the lucky ones, Lisa — you’ve gotten to ply your trade until age 58 while many others experienced Bell’s ejectable seats much earlier in their careers, with a mortgage and bills to pay. I remember one radio personality who just had a kid when the ax fell.

wow out of nowhere

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal

Bell Lets Talk is one of the biggest scams ever, they dont give a crap about mental health

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
wow out of nowhere

You go down the line with the previous well known anchors, and I think they all left on their own terms.

Nash
Robertson
Mansbridge

I guess times are changing. Laflamme was a heavyweight in the industry, so this is going to send some shockwaves for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Martin Leclerc also confirmed that he will have a daily hit with Lemay. He was on the morning show every day. But he will now be in the afternoon/evening.
Sadly, Reggie Tremblay will continue to be a contributor. Paul Houde (Pierre’s brother) gets a Saturday morning slot. Denis Coderre managed to be a part of new programming. Evelyn Audet who had been hosting a terrible summer morning show (not sure if she was fully responsible for its content), is out.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
You go down the line with the previous well known anchors, and I think they all left on their own terms.

Nash
Robertson
Mansbridge

I guess times are changing. Laflamme was a heavyweight in the industry, so this is going to send some shockwaves for sure.
Ahh that sucks. Loved Lisa. I guess she's making the big bucks and this is a way to cut costs. I assume less and less people are actually watching news broadcasts on tv so they might as well stick an intern to read the news 20 times a day and save the money. I must be a relic I still enjoy watching news broadcasts at night lol

Reactions: Schooner Guy

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Don't need news anchors anymore, just check Twitter trending topics, check comments to see what Freedom6969 has to say about it, and then tik tokers to fill you in on the rest. 😁🤣😆

Don't forget to like and subscribe.
👍

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Ahh that sucks. Loved Lisa. I guess she's making the big bucks and this is a way to cut costs. I assume less and less people are actually watching news broadcasts on tv so they might as well stick an intern to read the news 20 times a day and save the money. I must be a relic I still enjoy watching news broadcasts at night lol

You're probably right about the changing demo, but these kinds of moves can also alienate the demo that still watches news too.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Sadly, Reggie Tremblay will continue to be a contributor. Paul Houde (Pierre’s brother) gets a Saturday morning slot. Denis Coderre managed to be a part of new programming. Evelyn Audet who had been hosting a terrible summer morning show (not sure if she was fully responsible for its content), is out.

The only positive about Reggie being on is that I know when my cue is to change the station.

He's usually on in the morning and in the afternoon. Will he still be doing that? Because I can't imagine how excruciating a segment with JiC and Tremblay will be. I can just picture them griping about "le nombre de Québécois chez le CH" and how they would give the Jets any player they want for PLD.

• Haha
Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Happy that Paul Houde will be working weekends. I like him.
He was on for 30 minutes on 91.9’s afternoon show. He was supposed to be a guest but he got so interesting, that the host (Charles André Marchand, a similar “moulin à paroles”) gave him the latitude to do as he wished and it was delicious.

He jumped from topic to topic with ease and displayed such a depth of knowledge that I couldn’t let go. Provided angles to stories that I don’t normally hear. Plus, he visited several baseball stadiums this summer and loved the Texas Rangers’ home field. He couldn’t believe how much value he got on a $38 ticket, said the esthetics of it are spectacular.

He also talked about Coderre’s return to sports in a collaborator gig on the station. It is indeed a return as I had not realized that Coderre began as a sports reporter on CKVL, lol. Marchand chimed in by adding that he was on the same floor as Coderre back then and he could see him through a glass partition while Marchand was working for CJMS.

So many good anecdotes by Houde. He only became available when his contract expired on 98.5 FM, where he was doing an afternoon show for the longest time as well as some Saturday morning light entertainment segment. Houde has always been a huge stats nerd and always kept close tabs on sports news and events even if the show he was doing was a current affairs/ banter/ entertainment slot.

He begins on September 3rd. Will be on from 9-12. I’m going to be all over that. Finally, a seasoned pro with a whole lot of food for thought, stimulating, intelligent offerings and a guy who does his homework before getting on air — essentially, Houde is what sports radio used to be like 20 plus years ago. Something we’ll sadly not see on 690.

Only irritant is that 91.9 FM’s signal is not easy to get, lots of interference and too closely located to other radio frequencies but having a pro at the mic is still worth the inconvenience.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When that JImmy G song comes on I wnat to throw my keyboard
they can't find good content
Best time slot remains the afternoon show. I’ve mostly weened out of their other offerings. Might catch the morning guys occasionally but 10-2 PM is something I fear like the plague.

Also, any play by play that involves Campbell or any post game shows featuring him and his garden gnome, are non-starters for me.

Only question is whether McGuire may resume his old time slot on 690. I guess that won’t happen if he stays with Sportsnet.

Last edited:

Bilgerat10

Feb 14, 2010
Michigan
TSN 690 -- it's primetime and major Habs trade coming down. Inane talk about some dumbass Dodgers reporter breaking his wrist and some ribs going down a slide--with the boys guffawing over the sound bytes. Yikes.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
91.9 FM has been on top of the trade with several segments from different pundits dedicated to it.

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
Anyone catch the Knuckles podcast with Chris Wideman? Great interview, learned a lot about him he seems like a really nice down to earth dude that went through the wringer and made it back to the NHL after the uber incident.

Last edited:

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Yeah I’m not a big podcast (or Nilan) fan but these are actually pretty good, he rambles a bit but he lets his invitees talk with is nice. Watched Wideman, Caufield and MSL, all worth it.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Listening to Tony and Nilan on their podcasts is infinitely better than the new clowns filling in for melnick. Hard to believe those guys, gallo, campbell and mckenna are who they kept

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Looking forward to Shaun Starr and his ‘inside source’ about Price playing 50 games this year lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad