TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I do wonder if its related to what he said about the Masterson vote.

Ya it is totally because of this and not 'creative differences'...
If you are the type to call bosses to get others fired, I feel sorry for you.

It's very low.

I remember seeing that on Twitter and thought to myself that it seemed like the back-and-forth between Dumont and a few of the media was them arguing over something small. But they were really arguing.

For example, I didn't think Dumont needed to make as big a deal as he did. But he shared his opinion nonetheless. And the reaction towards him was harsh.

And then I saw Dumont tweet that some of them sent emails to try to get him fired.
I saw that exchange happen too, but now can't remember who he was beefing with...🧐

Reactions: Garry Valk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I remember this whole ordeal. Dumont expressed his disappointment that a lot of the Montreal media shunned Price in the voting. A lot of the main media guys took exception to him expressing his opinion. They didn't appreciate Dumont doing that so they attacked him. There were some angry Twitter exchanges.

And it turned out, a bunch of them sent emails to the Habs asking for Dumont to be fired.
Sounds like the Habs doing what they have always done since time immemorial — placate and pander to the media so that the latter will keep generating fluff pieces and act like an unpaid propaganda arm of the team.

In the grand scheme, Dumont was an easy pawn to dispatch. Obviously, it sucks for Dumont but he’ll land on his feet.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
It's very low.

I remember seeing that on Twitter and thought to myself that it seemed like the back-and-forth between Dumont and a few of the media was them arguing over something small. But they were really arguing.

For example, I didn't think Dumont needed to make as big a deal as he did. But he shared his opinion nonetheless. And the reaction towards him was harsh.

And then I saw Dumont tweet that some of them sent emails to try to get him fired.
That's brutal, some of the media members need to grow a thicker skin and take some criticism. He probably didn't need to make a big deal out of it but to contact his bosses to fire him over a twitter argument is pathetic.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I liked the kind of content he put out, but disliked how he spoke in interviews. It was hard not to cringe.
Yeah he’s a good guy, but the content was a little cringe. Like a fanboy vibe.

To be honest the tweet saying he got fired is also cringe. Like just say you parted ways and that you’ll be back in one way or another. But he’s really pushing the sob story.

He’s getting a lot of support though, so maybe the organization will backtrack seeing that he’s more popular than they thought.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Oh boy I'm conflicted about this

On one hand it is irrefutable that Marc Dumont is one of the Good Guys. He cared about offering insight and was pretty good at criticising the Habs' many mistakes and backing it up with good enough analysis. His writing was fine, he is pretty much perfectly bilingual, and he used data in an accessible way.

When he was canned from The Athletic I was surprised, a genuinely productive and interesting writer was let go... he couldn't have been expensive either. It should've been that useless stooge Arpon Basu who is neither a beat reporter nor a journalist nor a hockey analyst - he is a clown. (I made sure to remind him in the comment sections right up to until my subscription expired).

On the other hand Dumont sold out long before he joined the Habs organization. He was very much a part of the tiny, brutal ecosystem of snakes and backstabbers in Montreal media. He pulled his punches about the Habs' many mistakes and miscues and parroted the Habs' PR spin as much as anybody else did. He was just not strong enough to survive a fight against those types.

And the Habs organisation shows once again it prefers conservatism and caution. It'll take longer than six months for Gorton and Hughes to change the organisation's deeply ingrained culture -- if they ever intend to.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sounds like an announcement today at 5pm? Mcguire returning? Melnyk stepping away?
Alfieri coming back? Alfieri’s father with a weekly feature bragging about his son?

Campbell and Gallo demoted?

Sensitivity training for McKenna?

Gifting Campbell and Gallo 4 hours every weekday is cringe. Do something.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
To be honest the tweet saying he got fired is also cringe. Like just say you parted ways and that you’ll be back in one way or another. But he’s really pushing the sob story.
I imagine he's devastated and feels helpless/hopeless. It's not like there are any other employers out there.

Sounds like the Habs doing what they have always done since time immemorial — placate and pander to the media so that the latter will keep generating fluff pieces and act like an unpaid propaganda arm of the team.

In the grand scheme, Dumont was an easy pawn to dispatch. Obviously, it sucks for Dumont but he’ll land on his feet.
I agree except for the landing on the feet part. I don't think he will make a living talking about the Habs. Nor will Chris Nilan or any of the others who got rejected. Tony Marinaro thinks he will but his thing will dry up too. It's too small a market.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I imagine he's devastated and feels helpless/hopeless. It's not like there are any other employers out there.

I agree except for the landing on the feet part. I don't think he will make a living talking about the Habs. Nor will Chris Nilan or any of the others who got rejected. Tony Marinaro thinks he will but his thing will dry up too. It's too small a market.
Of course, can’t blame him for that. But Twitter isn’t a place of therapy. I don’t see how this helps him other than get sympathy from potential subscribers. But an employer seeing this? Not great.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Of course, can’t blame him for that. But Twitter isn’t a place of therapy. I don’t see how this helps him other than get sympathy from potential subscribers. But an employer seeing this? Not great.
There are no employers brother. TSN690 is a sinking ship. Gazette is a sinking ship. Sportsnet is a sinking ship.

He's going to try substack/podcast, maybe it'll work.

But the irony is he called out all the hockey beat reporters with cushy jobs who didn't do their jobs and didn't report on hockey culture's rotten underbelly... and he was fired for it. I bet the Habs organisation has its share of skeletons in the closet and I don't mean in the far past but even recent days... if we had competent media maybe things would be different and there would be some accountability.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Landing on his feet is not limited to a Habs focused endeavour. He’s earned a lot of translatable experience, has had privileged access to the inner workings of a major org. and is young enough to pivot if need be.

If I were him, I wouldn’t go into so many details about his firing as others have noted. I don’t know why some people have no filter and feel compelled to share things that should remain private.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

He’s getting a lot of support though, so maybe the organization will backtrack seeing that he’s more popular than they thought.
He's very cringe...purely from a content point of view.

I won't miss him...he was corny as hell.

It's unfortunate that he got kinda railroaded but he's not without blame either.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lame: the announcement is a 20th anniversary celebration for the station on Sept. 8th at the Fairmount Theater.

Celebrating the mediocrity they’ve been relentlessly inflicting.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

It's a weak take to get infront of the reports about your firing. If this is but a snapshot of his internal etiquette, yhen i suspect he's been fired for more than creative differences, and he knows it.

I'll wait for the Habs release to conclude the scenario

Otherwise, going out guns a blazing is never a good thing. Very immature.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He’s really doubling down on the pity party too.

Doesn’t look like sessions with the Habs’ psychologist (short bald guy with the calm disposition who is a regular on RDS) were included in Dumont’s severance package. :sarcasm:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's a weak take to get infront of the reports about your firing. If this is but a snapshot of his internal etiquette, yhen i suspect he's been fired for more than creative differences, and he knows it.

I'll wait for the Habs release to conclude the scenario

Otherwise, going out guns a blazing is never a good thing. Very immature.

Don't expect the Habs to make an announcement and tell us what happened.

Marc said they told him it's due to creative differences. Whether it's true or not, if the Habs do make an announcement, they will also say it was due to creative differences.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Don't expect the Habs to make an announcement and tell us what happened.

Marc said they told him it's due to creative differences. Whether it's true or not, if the Habs do make an announcement, they will also say it was due to creative differences.
Right, which is the truth. And thats all anyone should know. He should put his twitter thumbs away and pen a nice thank you letter to the Habs organization.

Sure it's vanilla, but he has to consider future references.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
wonder how many countries on earth the response to someone getting fired for bullshit reasons is “you should write them a thank you letter” lol

can’t imagine there’s many beyond canada usa

Reactions: ReHabs

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
Oh boy I'm conflicted about this

On one hand it is irrefutable that Marc Dumont is one of the Good Guys. He cared about offering insight and was pretty good at criticising the Habs' many mistakes and backing it up with good enough analysis. His writing was fine, he is pretty much perfectly bilingual, and he used data in an accessible way.

When he was canned from The Athletic I was surprised, a genuinely productive and interesting writer was let go... he couldn't have been expensive either. It should've been that useless stooge Arpon Basu who is neither a beat reporter nor a journalist nor a hockey analyst - he is a clown. (I made sure to remind him in the comment sections right up to until my subscription expired).

On the other hand Dumont sold out long before he joined the Habs organization. He was very much a part of the tiny, brutal ecosystem of snakes and backstabbers in Montreal media. He pulled his punches about the Habs' many mistakes and miscues and parroted the Habs' PR spin as much as anybody else did. He was just not strong enough to survive a fight against those types.

And the Habs organisation shows once again it prefers conservatism and caution. It'll take longer than six months for Gorton and Hughes to change the organisation's deeply ingrained culture -- if they ever intend to.

And yet many people complain that the fanbase and media is toxic and is driving players away from the team and city. Pick one.

It's sports, not politics. Apparently a lot of people here thrive on Doom and Gloom and Negativity, but personally I don't. Up to a point the media should be there to entertain the fanbase, not to rile it up and create chaos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad