TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did anyone hear McKenna talk about Marinaro this morning ? Doesnt seem like there was any love lost there.
McKenna was not a fan of Marinaro’s speech patterns and enunciation.

I remember this one time just before the conclusion of a morning show, when McKenna quipped “the Montreal Alouettes or as Tony Marinaro likes to call them, the Montralouettes.”

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
Didn't catch it. What did he say?
It was more his tone of voice. Quite condescending when he mentioned trhe podcast. Said his nickname was Scoop but not because he got news scoops.

McKenna was not a fan of Marinaro’s speech patterns and enunciation.

I remember this one time just before the conclusion of a morning show, when McKenna quipped “the Montreal Alouettes or as Tony Marinaro likes to call them, the Montralouettes.”
Yes, he mentioned that this morning as well.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony was always getting panned by McKenna while he was at the station. McKenna tended to look down on Marinaro, probably on account of Tony’s limited vocabulary, his poor enunciation and overall shameless self promo.

Also, I’ve heard Melnick rip into Marinaro viciously and repeatedly during the many years that both participated in Friday scrums. Marinaro’s debating skills were weak next to the incoming train that Melnick can be and he would usually intimidate Marinaro.

However since Marinaro has left, I find that Melnick has not said anything negative about Tony. I also saw Marinaro post a pic on Twitter where he called Melnick his mentor.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tony was always getting panned by McKenna while he was at the station. McKenna tended to look down on Marinaro, probably on account of Tony’s limited vocabulary, his poor enunciation and overall shameless self promo.

Also, I’ve heard Melnick rip into Marinaro viciously and repeatedly during the many years that both participated in Friday scrums. Marinaro’s debating skills were weak next to the incoming train that Melnick can be and he would usually intimidate Marinaro.

However since Marinaro has left, I find that Melnick has not said anything negative about Tony. I also saw Marinaro post a pic on Twitter where he called Melnick his mentor.
they could bait Tony, he is so easy... that is why listeners did it, they knew he would snap and call them idiots

Reactions: Runner77

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It was more his tone of voice. Quite condescending when he mentioned trhe podcast. Said his nickname was Scoop but not because he got news scoops.

Yes, he mentioned that this morning as well.
I can't stand McKenna. I refuse to listen to the morning show now that he's back. Always condescending, annoying nasal voice, and has VERY limited sports knowledge. The straw that broke the camel's back for me was when he made fun of KK for getting COVID...said that a year into COVID, nobody should be getting it. That's a very bad take that didn't age well by someone who has absolutely no clue. What a certified idiot!

they could bait Tony, he is so easy... that is why listeners did it, they knew he would snap and call them idiots
Haha! Tony should have called some of his colleagues idiots instead of his listeners.

I actually wrote the TSN text line number down once so I could try to bait Tony. I never got around to it before he left the station. I recently tossed the text number into my trash as I was tidying my office.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I can't stand McKenna. I refuse to listen to the morning show now that he's back. Always condescending, annoying nasal voice, and has VERY limited sports knowledge. The straw that broke the came's back for me was when he made fun of KK for getting COVID...said that a year into COVID, nobody should be getting it. That's a very bad take that didn't age well by someone who has absolutely no clue. What a certified idiot!

Haha! Tony should have called some of his colleagues idiots instead of his listeners.

I actually wrote the TSN text line number down once so I could try to bait Tony. I never got around to it before he left the station. I recently tossed the text number into my trash as I was tidying my office.
funny I baited him quite a few years back when 690 had a live feed for him to read. he lost it

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This morning on 91.9 there was one woman interviewing another woman and they were exchanging some kind of muffin recipes. WTF is going on??? I guess it sums up sports radio in this city when Habs are off :laugh:
Actually, it’s 91.9’s idea of a new concept.

I couldn’t believe how they went completely off the rails during the draft and on UFA frenzy day, where in the same time slot they were featuring interviews about fishing and fringe sports that people somewhat pay attention to every 4 years.

To pull this crap during a draft and UFA Frenzy is to be completely clueless. Imagine escaping Campbell and Gallo and thinking you’re finding refuge on 91.9 in that time slot where you get this new wave interviewer just going off the rails and thinking she’s cool by ignoring the obvious.

BushFireRecordsRedux

I'm a Dapper Dan man
Sep 10, 2018
Not usually a McKenna fan but if he's making fun of that disgusting mother f***er Marinaro, he just went up in all of our books! Especially @MarioLeMoose who had a major twitter beef with McKenna in 2013!

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
They're all simps. Disagree with any of them they actually insult you in text messages. Especially Starr.

Golf...lol

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Haven't chimed in on 690. When it first went on air, I listened regularly. Then it was professionally run and worth listening. Haven't listened in a long time, as any professional sportscaster was shown the door probably for cost savings. Now with the exception of Melnick there is not one announcer including Marinaro who was a sports journalist before starting at the station. Even Simon was a listener who won a contest to host a show.

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I remember many years ago, I think it might have been during the 'ask us anything' segment or it might have been during a phone-in, someone sent in a message to McKenna saying something like 'I hear that you and Tony are not on speaking terms and will not acknowledge each other when you're passing in the hallway'.

I was surprised when McKenna's first reaction was not to deny it or shrug it off, but to say something like "who told you that?". He didn't say anything further so I suspected the lack of denial meant that it was bang on. There were plenty of other comments in the time since that pretty much reinforced it.

In other 690 matters, I'm enjoying the reminiscencing about Vin Scully today though I have to say that a little Dan Bern goes a long way. The recordings of interviews and play-by-play is great however.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
I remember many years ago, I think it might have been during the 'ask us anything' segment or it might have been during a phone-in, someone sent in a message to McKenna saying something like 'I hear that you and Tony are not on speaking terms and will not acknowledge each other when you're passing in the hallway'.

I was surprised when McKenna's first reaction was not to deny it or shrug it off, but to say something like "who told you that?". He didn't say anything further so I suspected the lack of denial meant that it was bang on. There were plenty of other comments in the time since that pretty much reinforced it.

In other 690 matters, I'm enjoying the reminiscencing about Vin Scully today though I have to say that a little Dan Bern goes a long way. The recordings of interviews and play-by-play is great however.
That Bob Costas interview with Vin Scully sounds amazing from the few snippets I caught.

Reactions: Redux91 and Inkling

OB5

May 2, 2015
I'm not usually in the car a lot but I have been in MTL lately and have listened here and there. Melnick still great. He can work anyone and is just so entertaining. Starr is good and I like the concept of Campbell vs Gallo I just really dislike Mitch Gallo, he's very amateur. I really enjoyed it when Campbell has Macremalla on, that was good stuff.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mckenna and Still have both shown their true colors in regards to Tony. Bad people imo
I don’t know what Still has been saying but McKenna was never a Tony fan and he panned Tony while he was still at the station.

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I'm not usually in the car a lot but I have been in MTL lately and have listened here and there. Melnick still great. He can work anyone and is just so entertaining. Starr is good and I like the concept of Campbell vs Gallo I just really dislike Mitch Gallo, he's very amateur. I really enjoyed it when Campbell has Macremalla on, that was good stuff.
Give me joey elias full time please

Reactions: HabsHammer

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Give me joey elias full time please
Wasn’t Elias Tony’s co-host back in 2003 or thereabouts? Elias spins some good yarn and has a pleasant voice. Not sure he’d want to give up his stand up career for 690.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Wasn’t Elias Tony’s co-host back in 2003 or thereabouts? Elias spins some good yarn and has a pleasant voice. Not sure he’d want to give up his stand up career for 690.
Oh I get it, but even just once a week for a 2 hr spot I'd be happier then a pig in shit, made me want to listen a couple of weeks ago as opposed to not

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh I get it, but even just once a week for a 2 hr spot I'd be happier then a pig in shit, made me want to listen a couple of weeks ago as opposed to not
Elias has those qualities that typified old time broadcasters. That’s what you get when someone’s had time to hone his craft but who also has certain undeniable talents for the job.

I too would be happy to see him get the mic even if just once a week.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They're all simps. Disagree with any of them they actually insult you in text messages. Especially Starr.

Golf...lol
I'm a huge fan of golf and anyone who is in to golf,knows what's happening,those that aren't,don't care,no need to even speak of golf on air imo.

As for Mkkenna and also Melnick they are as genuine as Dolly Partons magic mountains.Both claim that when ''off'' they tune out of pretty much the world. Should they even be hosting a sports show? Most sport fans always want to know what's going on with their team,even insignificant trivial news.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad