TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pickles

Apr 25, 2017
In the jar'o
They are all jealous of Tony. Not sure why, but they have taken many shots at Tony since he left.
That's because the station is dying a slow death. Say what you will about Tony but he saw the writing on the wall. Podcasts and streaming shows are the future. There are dozens of channels on Youtube that cover hockey news and the Habs better than TSN 690.

Mckenna has always came across as a pompus arsehole so it doesn't surprise me that he's talking smack about Tony. Campbell and Gallo are just unbearable and Melnick isn't really enough to keep me listening to that station.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's because the station is dying a slow death. Say what you will about Tony but he saw the writing on the wall. Podcasts and streaming shows are the future. There are dozens of channels on Youtube that cover hockey news and the Habs better than TSN 690.

Mckenna has always came across as a pompus arsehole so it doesn't surprise me that he's talking smack about Tony. Campbell and Gallo are just unbearable and Melnick isn't really enough to keep me listening to that station.
I don’t have all the facts but from what I’ve been reading in here, 690 was none to happy with Tony doing his podcast without 690 affiliation. So, 690 gave Tony an ultimatum to cease his podcast or he’d have to leave the station.

I don’t know if it had anything to do with Tony being some kind of visionary but he did get several sponsors to support him and perhaps the numbers were too good for him to let go of it.

Concurrently, Tony had been a regular on AC and had close ties with Norman Flynn, so he built some visibility among a wide enough ranging Franco audience. Tony was also a friend of JiC from their TQS days, so Tony must have simply put two and two together: keep the podcast, his sponsors and his growing numbers and supplement that with a gig on TVA with his old buddy.

I’m guessing that Tony saw a means of making the same money or more than on 690, by working a lot less hours, building a brand that was all his and that TVA did not care about as it’s in another language and doesn’t interfere with his spot appearances on JiC’s show.

It looks to me that Tony made a favourable business decision more so than being ahead of the curve on where the industry is going. He was able to attract and retain several local sponsors, it thus looked like an easy decision.

Again, just me attempting to connect dots. Tony said that one day he’d spill the whole behind the scenes story. Good on him for following the money, he was probably jaded with all the years at the station.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007

If I remember correctly, 690 in its current format was mandated by the CRTC as part of Bell acquiring a more lucrative FM station putting them over the limit for how many stations they can own in the same market.

Basically they are running it as a charity, not a viable business and the staff reflects that, basically filling time slots at the lowest possible cost. They applied to change format and were refused.

Reactions: Pickles

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
If I remember correctly, 690 in its current format was mandated by the CRTC as part of Bell acquiring a more lucrative FM station putting them over the limit for how many stations they can own in the same market.

Basically they are running it as a charity, not a viable business and the staff reflects that, basically filling time slots at the lowest possible cost. They applied to change format and were refused.
from what i understand, FT hosts make about 50k a year with melnick the best paid at 200k or so

Reactions: Runner77

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I actually enjoyed TSN 690 last week when there was no Gallo, Campbell, or McKenna. Macramella was good in the Gallo/Campbell slot and the morning show has been better since McKenna went on leave.

With McKenna back this week, I refuse to listen to the morning show so I have no idea what it's been like this week. I tried to give Habs Lunch a chance today but all Gallo and Campbell did was talk about their prediction for most improved player for the Habs this upcoming year. No guests. No news. So damn boring and a waste of an hour!

I'll be listening to music while I work from now on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sounds like an announcement today at 5pm? Mcguire returning? Melnyk stepping away?
Most times when they hype announcements, it ends up being something lame. Bell, sell the damn station already.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Surprising. I thought they liked him and he’s a knowledgeable passionate dude.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Surprised to hear this. I thought he was great. Would this be Chantal that let him go?

OB5

May 2, 2015
Surprised to hear this. I thought he was great. Would this be Chantal that let him go?
Not sure, she is more media relations than anything else. Likely the social team run by that woman Shauna.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Seems like a nice fellow, but can't say I found the content or interview style to be particularly engaging. I don't think he'll struggle to find work elsewhere, but it's always tough losing a job - especially a dream one like this!

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I hope the person behind Matheson "guess who" and Dadonov tweets is not the one replacing him.

Best of luck to Marc he seemed like a good person.

Reactions: Garry Valk

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I thought was enthusiastic about his roll and he seemed to really enjoy it.

I remember this whole ordeal. Dumont expressed his disappointment that a lot of the Montreal media shunned Price in the voting. A lot of the main media guys took exception to him expressing his opinion. They didn't appreciate Dumont doing that so they attacked him. There were some angry Twitter exchanges.

And it turned out, a bunch of them sent emails to the Habs asking for Dumont to be fired.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
I remember this whole ordeal. Dumont expressed his disappointment that a lot of the Montreal media shunned Price in the voting. A lot of the main media guys took exception to him expressing his opinion. They didn't appreciate Dumont doing that so they attacked him. There were some angry Twitter exchanges.

And it turned out, a bunch of them sent emails to the Habs asking for Dumont to be fired.
I didn't really follow it at the time but to send emails and try to get him fired seems really low.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Reading between the lines, that paragraph about wanting to bring more access to the fans, and his stating that he failed probably holds the clue to what happened. Maybe something was leaked or divulged management were not happy about. If it was the media's doing he probably would have mentioned that in the tweet instead of admitting failure about the access.

Reactions: ReHabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I didn't really follow it at the time but to send emails and try to get him fired seems really low.

It's very low.

I remember seeing that on Twitter and thought to myself that it seemed like the back-and-forth between Dumont and a few of the media was them arguing over something small. But they were really arguing.

For example, I didn't think Dumont needed to make as big a deal as he did. But he shared his opinion nonetheless. And the reaction towards him was harsh.

And then I saw Dumont tweet that some of them sent emails to try to get him fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad