TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Very true
If they have no guests this will fail bad
So long as there is a revenue stream and their advertisers are satisfied with the market share they're garnering, is there really an incentive to do better?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We can say a lot of things about Twitter wannabes. One of them is Maxim Guérin, who likes to say that he has contacts that he can tap into (unnamed, of course) and he has his lot of doubters on this forum.

However, unlike many others on Twitter who are just trying to collect likes and followers for the sake of getting them, Guérin is not afraid to speak his mind. He's called out several fake insiders (even though he might himself be one until proven otherwise).

But, now, finally, he's posted the ultimate Tweet -- one that has angered several mainstream media types since Guérin has dared ask a question that your average sports fan following Quebec media has dared to ask:

TRANSLATION: Knowing that for many, Montreal media is a high pressure environment, if you had the ability to remove 5 reporters/ columnists/ opinion mongerers orbiting around the Habs, who would they be? Who are you sick of watching/ listening to?

A few offended mainstream types responded to the Tweet. Several users complained that the question was unduly negative and trashy.

However, several other users did respond. And here are the names that came up repeatedly:

1. Top of the list: Reggie Tremblay
2. Philippe Cantin
3. Michel Bergeron
4. JiC
5. Marc deFoy

But wait, there are more ...

Renaud Lavoie
Gaston Therrien
François Gagnon
Norman Flynn

Many more but not in the same numbers as all of the above. How in the world did we get stuck with all of these incompetents?

Some honorable mentions to English media people: Jack Todd, Brendan Kelly and PJ Stock (although his main gig appears to be as a franco media contributor).

I could have added my own list: Sean Campbell, Gallo, Mario Tremblay (also mentioned but once only), Benoit Brunet (mentioned once only) ... what about including a PxP guy -- the Castrato on Spanre?

To those users who claimed that "it's only sports, why shit on people" -- well, those of you who are paying for cable, go see what they charge you for sports packages on Bell and Videotron. If you had all your sports channels removed, your bill would be incredibly cheap. So, somewhere, many of us are contributing to the salaries of these bozos.

And now with Chantal having become a Habs employee, how many more at RDS will turn into paper tigers?

EDIT: just noticed now that the Tweet I had quoted, no longer exists. Looking into it further, it appears that Guérin’s account has been terminated. What an unexpected turn of events!

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Did I hear correctly on Monday, Is Aaron Ward leaving 690?
No I don't think so. I think Melnick said he's just finished for the rest of the summer and will be back again later, likely in early Sept if I had to guess when hockey starts back up again.

He was suppose to be finished last Friday but with the big Calgary/Florida trade over the weekend they brought him back yesterday to talk about that and I believe he'll also be on again this Friday for one final Ask Aaron Anything segment for the summer.

Melnick will also be off for most of August as well I believe.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garry Valk

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Since McGuire joined Sportsnet and 690 is a TSN affiliate, safe to say we won’t be hearing McGuire on 690 anytime soon?

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Since McGuire joined Sportsnet and 690 is a TSN affiliate, safe to say we won’t be hearing McGuire on 690 anytime soon?
for sure not. we Had a precedence.with stephan brunt when he joined sportsnet.
Was not till many many years later that he popped on with mitch to talk boxing. maybe in 2021 if my memory is correct, and i honestly dont know if was with sportsnet still at that time

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Since MacKenzie, Ferraro and McGuire left, they are too thin on guest. Johnson is not bad and Ward has become a classic, but I miss the good old days. I think Pat Burn in the morning at CKAC was just the best guest there ever was.

Reactions: tazsub3

HabsHammer

Oct 15, 2019
Has anyone else noticed the shit that Starr keeps giving his new producer whilst McKenna is away? So unprofessional and makes him sound like a bully

Reactions: tazsub3

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Has anyone else noticed the shit that Starr keeps giving his new producer whilst McKenna is away? So unprofessional and makes him sound like a bully
i can't stand Starr. He's a dumb guy in an announcer's voice. Granted, I hate golf but his idiotic, jaw-dropping comment this am about golfer's 'not eating' if they don't make the cut, was an incredibly f***ing, stupid analogy. He regularly makes dumb comments

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
for sure not. we Had a precedence.with stephan brunt when he joined sportsnet.
Was not till many many years later that he popped on with mitch to talk boxing. maybe in 2021 if my memory is correct, and i honestly dont know if was with sportsnet still at that time
Unless he was just a short term hire for Sportsnet, to help out on their draft coverage? Didn’t watch the coverage for Frenzy Day but maybe he was there for that too.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Hey anyone know where I could possibly get a Nissan in the Montreal area?

:sarcasm:

But why? Lol

Whenever I hear Sean Cambell speak, I want to pour hydrochloric acid down both my external acoustic meatus.
Is that bad?

That's very understandable. Whenever I listen to Campbell it re-affirms my belief in God since Lucifer's existence becomes quite evident

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
When is McKenna coming back? He's worked 4-5 months in the last couple years. I'm tried of listening to Starr trying to hard and how every player going to the LIV tour is a horrible human.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
When is McKenna coming back? He's worked 4-5 months in the last couple years. I'm tried of listening to Starr trying to hard and how every player going to the LIV tour is a horrible human.
These morning guys are a harsh listen. They’re all screaming over one another with mostly hot takes and pimping dumb quiz questions accompanied by cheesy music.

Where is the calm voice of reason that recites the internet back to you?

And what’s with all these empty superlative introductions of 690 staffers who were interns not so long ago? “Here he is, ladies and gentlemen, the voice of the FC Montreal, John Still!” A guy who was gifted a PxP job just cause he’s on some station show.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
690 is not long for the airwaves.. to many hacks there. that what one dude in the am, that laughs so loud. clown
It might have been the case if its owners were not solvent but quite clearly, there is little effort invested in improving content. There don’t appear to be noticeable standards that they’ll adhere to (other than the usual CRTC requirements).

So, what’s their revenue model based on — collecting broadcast rights from local teams? Sounds like they have no competition and they don’t give a shit.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
It might have been the case if its owners were not solvent but quite clearly, there is little effort invested in improving content. There don’t appear to be noticeable standards that they’ll adhere to (other than the usual CRTC requirements).

So, what’s their revenue model based on — collecting broadcast rights from local teams? Sounds like they have no competition and they don’t give a shit.
They do talk less soccer ⚽ now

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad