TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I haven’t listened to the station since Tony left but I was just going through my socials and they posted a video of the 2 idiots hosting the 10am slot doing a hot dog eating contest, Gallo had to eat 4 and Campbell 5.

That was excellent sports talk radio…. Wtf is going on, seriously, is this what this pathetic station has become now?

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
I haven’t listened to the station since Tony left but I was just going through my socials and they posted a video of the 2 idiots hosting the 10am slot doing a hot dog eating contest, Gallo had to eat 4 and Campbell 5.

That was excellent sports talk radio…. Wtf is going on, seriously, is this what this pathetic station has become now?

That Still dude non stop cackling during the basu interview was amateur hour. Melnick doesn't care at all anymore

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010

I would say it's not the first time either of these 2 swallowed 4 or 5 wieners because they both suck.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It’s all Campbell all the time. When he’s not doing his show, he’s calling Als games. And his PXP is being used on other shows and commercials as are excerpts from his show. Not to mention that his show gets replayed after 6PM daily as part of the “best moments of the day” repeats.

This guy won the lottery and no one’s the better on account of it.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
I would say it's not the first time either of these 2 swallowed 4 or 5 wieners because they both suck.
what freaks me out is not only did this go on your airwaves, you even took the time to film it, and then allowed them to post it on social media.

its SPORTS talk radio... WHY would anyone approve the segment in the first place, and then allow video of it to be posted. Does anyone really find this funny?

Reactions: Runner77

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I draw the line at sports radio stations spending time on food eating contests. I understand some people might enjoy that stuff but I find the whole concept kind of distasteful and really stretching the definition of 'sports'. It's a free country but I won't be keeping the radio or iPhone on, that's for sure.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
what freaks me out is not only did this go on your airwaves, you even took the time to film it, and then allowed them to post it on social media.

its SPORTS talk radio... WHY would anyone approve the segment in the first place, and then allow video of it to be posted. Does anyone really find this funny?
They’re mimicking the old shock jock routine that involves “you’ll never guess what they’ll do next” but in a much more watered down version.

That stuff’s been done decades ago. How about some riveting sports interviews, analysis and prepping your shows so you don’t have to constantly resort to lame gimmicks? You know, sports radio.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Seems that would be better televised than on radio as was the time listening to Marcel Marceau perform his art:nod:

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Someone I trust fully and has a long time friendship with Tony, confirmed to me tonight Tony was given the ultimatum from TSN690, he either drops the Podcast, or leaves the station. Obviously he chose to leave.

i wonder if the same will be given to the 2 bozo's that run at 10am, sorry, they dont run, they eat hot dogs, and their terrible ass youtube podcast.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
Someone I trust fully and has a long time friendship with Tony, confirmed to me tonight Tony was given the ultimatum from TSN690, he either drops the Podcast, or leaves the station. Obviously he chose to leave.

i wonder if the same will be given to the 2 bozo's that run at 10am, sorry, they dont run, they eat hot dogs, and their terrible ass youtube podcast.

Pretty disgusting to hear that. Says alot about the guys running the show now. Wonder what hacks whispered in management's ear

icerocket

Jan 4, 2008
Atlantis

Tony needs a co-host or someone else to interact with.

He is low on content. The interviews are ok but he needs a 2nd voice.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I couldn't stomach Marinaro the whole time he was at 690. Happy for him that he's found something else to do that I can more easily ignore. Problem is, his departure only created more air time for Campbell and Gallo, which is just criminal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Campbell overkill continues well into the weekend. Now they’re playing “best of the day » highlights from prior days’ broadcasts and Campbell’s show is somehow making that cut.

Then you have nauseating Als replays featuring Campbell plus ad spots for the Als featuring his calls.

Campbell spends half the time on any show he’s on, repeating his name.

There is no respite from Campbell, even if you’re just station surfing. Who is the imbecile at 690 who thinks it’s a good idea to have one guy with so little talent, monopolize so much airtime?

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Campbell overkill continues well into the weekend. Now they’re playing “best of the day » highlights from prior days’ broadcasts and Campbell’s show is somehow making that cut.

Then you have nauseating Als replays featuring Campbell plus ad spots for the Als featuring his calls.

There is no respite from Campbell, even if you’re just station surfing. Who is the imbecile at 690 who thinks it’s a good idea to have one guy with so little talent, monopolize so much airtime?
690 is ok... but too much music... I know when to leave

Last edited:

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006

Works for peanuts and claims no overtime is my guess.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Works for peanuts and claims no overtime is my guess.
Variety is the spice of life but not on 690.

I wish Bell were forced to sell the station. They’re doing nothing to raise their standards. It’s student radio, led by part timers, interns and monotonous drivel vomiters who enjoy the sound of their own voices.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Variety is the spice of life but not on 690.

I wish Bell were forced to sell the station. They’re doing nothing to raise their standards. It’s student radio, led by part timers, interns and monotonous drivel vomiters who enjoy the sound of their own voices.
Agreed
Low budget, no big names to interview.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Did Mitch Melnick mention Dave Fisher on his show today?

He was on with Ken Connors on CJAD on Saturday morning talking about Dave, longtime radio host, who passed away last week at 71. Melnick mentioned that his passing has him thinking, mentioned Randy Tieman as well. Sounded like he will be off for the month of August, although that seems like his usual vacation time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did Mitch Melnick mention Dave Fisher on his show today?

He was on with Ken Connors on CJAD on Saturday morning talking about Dave, longtime radio host, who passed away last week at 71. Melnick mentioned that his passing has him thinking, mentioned Randy Tieman as well. Sounded like he will be off for the month of August, although that seems like his usual vacation time.
Melnick mentioned Fisher during his afternoon show last week, on at least two occasions. Fisher was great on weekends, light banter, pleasant voice. I suspect that’s where a lot of listeners remember him from, particularly as a co-host on AD’s Trivia Show.

He wasn’t controversial or thought provoking, just a friendly voice. He used to fill for regulars when they were out. There was also the time when if I’m not mistaken, he was on for extended shifts during the 1998 ice storm.

When you replaced regular on air personalities in those days, you got an experienced broadcaster come in to fill, like a Fisher or a Tieman. Now, you’re getting interns who are ill prepared for the rigours of the job.

Reactions: Chili

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Melnick mentioned Fisher during his afternoon show last week, on at least two occasions. Fisher was great on weekends, light banter, pleasant voice. I suspect that’s where a lot of listeners remember him from, particularly as a co-host on AD’s Trivia Show.

He wasn’t controversial or thought provoking, just a friendly voice. He used to fill for regulars when they were out. There was also the time when if I’m not mistaken, he was on for extended shifts during the 1998 ice storm.

When you replaced regular on air personalities in those days, you got an experienced broadcaster come in to fill, like a Fisher or a Tieman. Now, you’re getting interns who are ill prepared for the rigours of the job.
It's sobering to compare all the local media personalities 'back in the day' to now. Guess it's a part reflection of the market and a lot of shift towards social media where many of us get our news and commentary now. It's certainly a lot faster but better? It's something like craftsmen, who took great pride in their work and were replaced by mass production. Will certainly be interesting when Mitch Melnick does retire.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's sobering to compare all the local media personalities 'back in the day' to now. Guess it's a part reflection of the market and a lot of shift towards social media where many of us get our news and commentary now. It's certainly a lot faster but better? It's something like craftsmen, who took great pride in their work and were replaced by mass production. Will certainly be interesting when Mitch Melnick does retire.
We're already getting a taste of the soon to happen post-Melnick. Look at the quality of those being brought in to learn the ropes. The station is idling and talent has just dried up.

It's like the main purpose of the station is to land broadcast rights. Once they do, they'll assign the same interns they use on their shows, to call the games. Most of them use the same approach: scream their lungs out when the locals score. No style, nor substance. And then they'll replay those calls on commercials and during all of their shows as if it were a treasure trove of sorts. A real shitstorm of annoyance.

Last edited:

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
We're already getting a taste of the soon to happen post-Melnick. Look at the quality of those being brought in to learn the ropes. The station is idling and talent has just dried up.

It's like the main purpose of the station is to land broadcast rights. Once they do, they'll assign the same interns they use on their shows, to call the games. Most of them use the same approach: scream their lungs out when the locals score. No style, nor substance. And then they'll replay those calls on commercials and during all of their shows as if it were a treasure trove of sorts. A real shitstorm of annoyance.
I liked to listen to Knuckles because he got a lot of good guests. Since he's be gone, Melnick is the only show I listen to. The rest...the weekend guy was ok, seems he's rarely on any more though.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I liked to listen to Knuckles because he got a lot of good guests. Since he's be gone, Melnick is the only show I listen to. The rest...the weekend guy was ok, seems he's rarely on any more though.
Very true
If they have no guests this will fail bad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad