TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It just felt that the old school PxP guys were better prepared and knew how to use pauses to their advantage. Every moment doesn’t need to be carpet-bombed with words.

A well-placed smart quip or anecdote can go a long way. I think it helped that they were able to hone their skills longer before starting in the show.

That said, you still have some modern guys that exhibit those qualities but there appear to be less of them. Makes you appreciate the best ones even more.
Every once in a while I'll re-watch ''vintage'' hockey games,it's not the same today.Danny and Dick or Bob would pretty much stick to calling the games. If I'm not watching and paying attention,I don't even know what's happening.

Reactions: Runner77

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
Is it a coincidence that all our great English broadcasters had names starting with D

Danny Gallivan
Dick Irvin
Dave Van Horne
Duke Snider

maybe Dan Robertson one day.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is it a coincidence that all our great English broadcasters had names starting with D

Danny Gallivan
Dick Irvin
Dave Van Horne
Duke Snider

maybe Dan Robertson one day.
Not a D name and not a Habs broadcaster, but Foster Hewitt was a pioneer and probably set the standard that influenced all of those you listed. Hewitt had to come up with expressions and words that ultimately formed an integral part of the vernacular.

I also greatly enjoyed listening to Bob Cole and Ron Reusch.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
It just felt that the old school PxP guys were better prepared and knew how to use pauses to their advantage. Every moment doesn’t need to be carpet-bombed with words.

A well-placed smart quip or anecdote can go a long way. I think it helped that they were able to hone their skills longer before starting in the show.

That said, you still have some modern guys that exhibit those qualities but there appear to be less of them. Makes you appreciate the best ones even more.
From Eddie and the Cruisers, Eddie to Word Man: words and music Word Man, words and music!

Not a D name and not a Habs broadcaster, but Foster Hewitt was a pioneer and probably set the standard that influenced all of those you listed. Hewitt had to come up with expressions and words that ultimately formed an integral part of the vernacular.

Good call Doug Harvey! Also enjoyed Dave Randorf and dare I say Jim Robson!

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Ron was good,liked his wife also,nice couple.

From Eddie and the Cruisers, Eddie to Word Man: words and music Word Man, words and music!

Good call Doug Harvey! Also enjoyed Dave Randorf and dare I say Jim Robson!
I liked Randorf,many did not but many like no one it seems

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Melnick likely on the phone with him right now.

Although, I imagine that Pierre’s ability to join any broadcasting network might be delayed by restrictive contractual covenants from his Sens affiliation. Since he was seen on the road scouting with the Sens’ GM a few weeks ago, he would also be precluded from discussing the upcoming draft.
At first glance I thought this meant Eugene Melnyck was on the phone with Pierre McGuire. I found it interesting that there were phones in hell.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
on 690 the guy talkin to Tony is a clown, did not get his name
he is bagging on Wright, that habs have way to high expectaions on Wright.

wow, what a clown, Wright is a kid, give he a break, give him a chance.... wow people are crap disturbers

some buy named Meeker??? what a dunce

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
on 690 the guy talkin to Tony is a clown, did not get his name
he is bagging on Wright, that habs have way to high expectaions on Wright.

wow, what a clown, Wright is a kid, give he a break, give him a chance.... wow people are crap disturbers

some buy named Meeker??? what a dunce
It was Scott Wheeler of the The Athletic. They played a clip of him on the morning show.

YukonCornelius 5thOA

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
How can Mitch Gallo be allowed to discuss Leafs at all on the radio? His voice waivers and quivers, he gets defensive about them, it’s firstly sad and secondly unprofessional. He was trying to talk over Aaron Ward a minute ago, it was just too cringey. And I’m happy to not hear Aaron Ward talk.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario
He’s just speaking hypothetically? Or this a real thing?

We should start a go fund me to help pay his moving bills just to mess with him.

Woodbridge's latest addition LOL

How can Mitch Gallo be allowed to discuss Leafs at all on the radio? His voice waivers and quivers, he gets defensive about them, it’s firstly sad and secondly unprofessional. He was trying to talk over Aaron Ward a minute ago, it was just too cringey. And I’m happy to not hear Aaron Ward talk.

When is Andie coming back? Is Gallo defending them? Lolol

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Mitch Melnick was in fine form today, grilling someone new who was filling in. Felt sorry for the kid.

And if he's reading this, Craig Berube was not a rookie coach when he led the Blues to the Cup (as he said). He had coached the Flyers for two years previously.

Reactions: jackeymoon

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

As of next Fall, JiC will return to 91.9 Sports FM to host the morning show. He will replace LP Guy and Gilbert Delorme, who will be placed in other time slot in the station. JiC will still host his show on TVA Sports in the evenings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad