TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I didn’t know you were on Fanhome!
Yeah, sadly. There were some great discussions but there were also trolls who got away with stuff.

It really degenerated when the Expos had games in Puerto Rico and this guy "Pelly" joined the forum and ridiculed local fans and kept saying how the team needed to be moved to PR.

Good times. Of sorts.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
The more I hear Dan Robertson the more impressed I am! Total class act, extremely articulate and knowledgeable. He fills the tradition of great Montreal Canadiens broadcasters. He and Mike Johnson are a fantastic combo. Dan in my opinion is very similar to the great Dan Kelly, tremendous pipes!!!

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
The more I hear Dan Robertson the more impressed I am! Total class act, extremely articulate and knowledgeable. He fills the tradition of great Montreal Canadiens broadcasters. He and Mike Johnson are a fantastic combo. Dan in my opinion is very similar to the great Dan Kelly, tremendous pipes!!!
I agree and he brings a lot of passion to the broadcast.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He is good,sounds like a PBP person. If only broadcast could concentrate on PBP rather than all the other trivial BS.Stick to calling the game and chip in between whistles with ''Did ya know'' etc:shakehead

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And standing next-in-line, right behind Robertson is ... Sean the Milquetoast Campbell. 🤣

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
And standing next-in-line, right behind Robertson is ... Sean the Milquetoast Campbell. 🤣
He's a boring dweeb square,reminds me of Teddy from 99:pullhair:

b066427d-e606-4d4c-bd18-17f9d856c0f6_text.gif

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
This take has nothing to do with TSN690, one of the best reasons for moving to Canada. I wouldn’t have to listen or watch hockey on ESPN, TBS or TNT! Completely LAME and Infantile!!!!

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Wish there was a direct email that one could send a note to the producer to ask one question how does your online air personality keep calling fans idiots and morons and get away with that

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This take has nothing to do with TSN690, one of the best reasons for moving to Canada. I wouldn’t have to listen or watch hockey on ESPN, TBS or TNT! Completely LAME and Infantile!!!!
It used to be better,but most things were,were they not?

I've caught a few highlights from ESPN and do they ever shut up and just do some play by play?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Wish there was a direct email that one could send a note to the producer to ask one question how does your online air personality keep calling fans idiots and morons and get away with that
Just follow the money. The insulter brings in sponsors, is my guess. Other clue might be his ratings relative to the rest of the shows on his station. I wouldn’t compare 690’s audience to other stations since they’re catering to a more linguistically niche listener.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Melnick likely on the phone with him right now.

Although, I imagine that Pierre’s ability to join any broadcasting network might be delayed by restrictive contractual covenants from his Sens affiliation. Since he was seen on the road scouting with the Sens’ GM a few weeks ago, he would also be precluded from discussing the upcoming draft.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Melnick likely on the phone with him right now.

Although, I imagine that Pierre’s ability to join any broadcasting network might be delayed by restrictive contractual covenants from his Sens affiliation. Since he was seen on the road scouting with the Sens’ GM a few weeks ago, he would also be precluded from discussing the upcoming draft.
He just said he hasn't talked to Pierre yet.

He also just said that after Eugene Melnyk died he reached out to Pierre to see if they could get him on the show but the Sens wouldn't give Pierre permission to speak on the show. :dunno:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He just said he hasn't talked to Pierre yet.

He also just said that after Eugene Melnyk died he reached out to Pierre to see if they could get him on the show but the Sens wouldn't give Pierre permission to speak on the show. :dunno:
Operative word is “yet” but we all know that conversation will happen. Imagine 2 weekday half hour segments back to back featuring Pierre and Aaron Ward.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
''Did ya know'' etc:shakehead
Several 690 hosts are content-challenged or they’re too lazy to prep shows so they resort to a barrage of lame quizzing to fill their time slot. Just like the PxP guys, they’ll read trivia from the internet and recite it on command.

Yes, I’m looking at you Simon Tsalikis, Sean Campbell and a parade of other fake savants who have nothing original to offer.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
It used to be better,but most things were,were they not?

I've caught a few highlights from ESPN and do they ever shut up and just do some play by play?
Your right, just talking to fill air space! I don’t need to know what a player had for breakfast or what his political views are!

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Several 690 hosts are content-challenged or they’re too lazy to prep shows so they resort to a barrage of lame quizzing to fill their time slot. Just like the PxP guys, they’ll read trivia from the internet and recite it on command.

Yes, I’m looking at you Simon Tsalikis, Sean Campbell and a parade of other fake savants who have nothing original to offer.
I get what you're saying but was specifically speaking about during the game,so often whomever is doing the PBP and the host are just rambling on and not calling the game. Some jiber jaber and then suddenly ''scores!''
As for some of the''banter'' that goes on,it feels so lame at times and contrived yet trying to be natural.
I know people get fed up hearing it,but the old days were better imo.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I get what you're saying but was specifically speaking about during the game,so often whomever is doing the PBP and the host are just rambling on and not calling the game. Some jiber jaber and then suddenly ''scores!''
As for some of the''banter'' that goes on,it feels so lame at times and contrived yet trying to be natural.
I know people get fed up hearing it,but the old days were better imo.
It just felt that the old school PxP guys were better prepared and knew how to use pauses to their advantage. Every moment doesn’t need to be carpet-bombed with words.

A well-placed smart quip or anecdote can go a long way. I think it helped that they were able to hone their skills longer before starting in the show.

That said, you still have some modern guys that exhibit those qualities but there appear to be less of them. Makes you appreciate the best ones even more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad