TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Maybe because nobody wants to hear mlb talk on Montreal radio lol. They probably see their listenership plummet when talking baseball or basketball so they avoid those subjects like the plague.
When Montreal had a baseball team,there was a a chunk of talk about them and suspect it would happen again if and when they actually got a team.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I know I will get trashed for this but here goes

our local talk radio show has a sports show from 2-6 pm
they have nhl players they talk to, talk CFL, among other interesting guests.
in a province of 1 million, we can do it.. so 690 could if they wanted to have more content in their show.
What station is that? available on the web?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I was expecting Tony to be really emotional today as Guy was his favorite player and every time he would speak of him, he would get emotional.

His voice has been shaky.

Reactions: Redux91

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
I was expecting Tony to be really emotional today as Guy was his favorite player and every time he would speak of him, he would get emotional.

His voice has been shaky.
for all the fun we have insulting him and laughing at him, the guy is authentic and today is heartbreaking radio. Tony is an everyman so we can all relate to the love and loss of Lafleur - and how this great player was the connective tissue to our families, our fathers, our friends - including kids of immigrants who arrived in Canada at the peak of the habs dynasties. in some ways it's really sweet to listen to and a great tribute to the Flower10

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Was good to hear Knuckles on with Melnick talking about his friend Guy and their relationship. He did lose it eventually.

Tip of the cap to Radio Canada who dedicated their entire 6pm newcast to #10. Reactions from Guy's mother & sister to many others and a bunch of video clips.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know I will get trashed for this but here goes

our local talk radio show has a sports show from 2-6 pm
they have nhl players they talk to, talk CFL, among other interesting guests.
in a province of 1 million, we can do it.. so 690 could if they wanted to have more content in their show.
I got off the CFL bandwagon since the time the Alouettes went bankrupt. But, I would still take a shot at listening if there were a compelling host handling it. A good source for a new voice on the station could be an older broadcaster from the TV side looking for a lighter gig, like when Randy Tieman, a longtime local TV figure moved to 690 in his later years.

Tieman may not have been everyone's favorite but he came in with a wealth of stories and experience and knew how to interact with callers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A pretty pathetic and petty display yesterday by TVA Spanre's JiC, when I watched him use Lafleur's passing as some kind of settling of accounts to score political, ethnic and linguistic points. Sadly, he used to do that a lot on 91.9 FM before he became a full-time television host. Clearly, he wasn't going to change now.

I did a double take watching reruns of what transpired yesterday. He was casually using Lafleur as a symbol of "one of us". Who is "us"? He made sure to say that it's not those people who live on "Dorchester" (a traditionally majority anglo part of town). Unlike those people, Lafleur was genuine and real, "just like us" (so, whoever is not from the right ethnic or linguistic group, is not genuine and real). So much gratuitous licence here as I don't remember Lafleur ever embracing the type of demagoguery that is espoused by JiC.

I guess JiC found the right pulpit from which to spew that divisive and abhorrent garbage. Péladeau must have been proud of the POS he's enabled to regularly host what is supposed to be an afternoon sports show on an all-sports TV network.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just saw a replay of the interview that LCN (news outlet in the Péladeau empire) where they dispatched their reporter, Michel Poirier to interview the mother and one of the sisters of Guy Lafleur yesterday.

It was incredibly gracious of the Lafleurs to allow that level of access to them on the extremely traumatic day that was yesterday, but to see this Poirier character asking completely inappropriate questions was vomit-inducing. Some of his comments caused Guy's mother to break down, which was tough to watch. He even had the gall to ask the mother what she thought about holding a state funeral for Guy.

And here is TVA Spanre endlessly replaying that incredibly insensitive interview on a loop, since yesterday.

Just surfing the other TVA Spanre outlet, there were replaying a final game vs. Boston, where Lafleur had assisted on the winning goal by Lemaire. I could not believe that they would not show the game without the original broadcaster's voice describing the action -- instead of that, they removed it and had the Castrato call the game as if it were live -- and here he was doing what he always does on live broadcasts, going nuts on misses and near-misses. 🤣

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Was good to hear Knuckles on with Melnick talking about his friend Guy and their relationship. He did lose it eventually.
Knuckles was really melting down at the end of his interview. It was very hard and awkward to listen to when he said "when is all this shit that's been happening to me lately going to stop?" referring to a bad run of recent events in his own personal life. Mitch and crew cut him off quickly at that point (although the interview was about to end anyway). I'm sure they were nervous that his being relieved of his job at 690 was about to be brought up.

I felt bad for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad