TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Who cares...you're gonna argue about people's taste in music?? It's so subjective. There is no right or wrong.
Not arguing, just stating what I believe is a widely held view. But, that’s not even the point. It was just part of what looked to me to be shoddy radio — Melnick used to be so much better than he is now.

He’s also surrounded himself with several lesser talents who don’t challenge him, so that’s not helping either.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tony Marinaro likes talking about food and underwear. The underwear changed his life so I don’t even want to know what was going on down there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Tony Marinaro likes talking about food and underwear. The underwear changed his life so I don’t even want to know what was going on down there.
Marinaro is always on TMI mode. Wondering why we needed to know that he has a rat/mouse problem at his house. Maybe his groin grooming was being handled by his house rats and he's since gone past that thanks to the comfort provided by the "mansack" from his fetish underwear sponsor.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Only on 690 do this talk of this crap...lol
That’s what happens when shows are low on content — which is usually a function of lack of talent and/or failure to put in prep work. You always have to keep upgrading your skills.

I’m not interested in on air people that merely recite the internets. You have to do some digging, tap into sources, consider diverging opinions, get to the bottom of a story.

Be added value, not just a recycler nor a peddler of abhorrent personal stories that are best kept private. Not everything needs to get on air. Common sense just isn’t when it comes to local radio types.

Reactions: the and themilosh

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
That’s what happens when shows are low on content — which is usually a function of lack of talent and/or failure to put in prep work. You always have to keep upgrading your skills.

I’m not interested in on air people that merely recite the internets. You have to do some digging, tap into sources, consider diverging opinions, get to the bottom of a story.

Be added value, not just a recycler nor a peddler of abhorrent personal stories that are best kept private. Not everything needs to get on air. Common sense just isn’t when it comes to local radio types.
Agreed
Though don't get half the guests that TSN Toronto radio does

Reactions: jackeymoon

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Melnick has to be responsible for the weak-ass cast that's been assembled at the station as a senior staff member. Not saying he was the ultimate decision-maker, but he must have had a say.

Pretty appalling that a higher standard wasn't demanded and applied. It's been a downhill slide ever since the days of the station fighting for its existence and before its affiliation with TSN. Only bright spot for me has been TSN pundits having become regular contributors.
Seems to have coincided with the departure of Wayne,he is/was a no nonsense kid of guy,chill but knew how to do things.

Reactions: Runner77

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I've had 690 on for about 2.5 hours today while I work. The've been pumping Ryan Poehling's tires the entire time...both on Habs Lunch and now on Campbell's show.

• Haha
Reactions: David Suzuki

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I've had 690 on for about 2.5 hours today while I work. The've been pumping Ryan Poehling's tires the entire time...both on Habs Lunch and now on Campbell's show.
What is there to ''pump''? he is not doing anything that warrants it is he? Nothing about him from what little I've seen says that he'll be a regular in the NHL. It won't be long before they start calling him Ryan Poo-ling.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
What is there to ''pump''? he is not doing anything that warrants it is he? Nothing about him from what little I've seen says that he'll be a regular in the NHL. It won't be long before they start calling him Ryan Poo-ling.
They've been saying he's one of few players who showed up last night, his new found role on the PP, MSL getting a good look at him, not all 1st rounders are ready to contribute in the first few years after being drafted especially late 1sts, this is his first year in NHL etc. I'm working so I'm only partially paying attention but that's been the gist of it.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
They've been saying he's one of few players who showed up last night, his new found role on the PP, MSL getting a good look at him, not all 1st rounders are ready to contribute in the few years after being drafted...especially late 1sts, this is his first year in NHL etc. I'm working so I'm only partially paying attention but that's been the gist of it.

I see,I'll have to scour some other threads to see what others thought as I did not watch,but it would be a first then imo.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
always liked Andie and said I missed her. She is so much better than the other stooges on the Melnick show and almost every other. Only thing that was always irksome was how Mitch would sometimes try to get too cozy/creepy with her.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
always liked Andie and said I missed her. She is so much better than the other stooges on the Melnick show and almost every other. Only thing that was always irksome was how Mitch would sometimes try to get too cozy/creepy with her.
Melnick always had creeper moments. I don’t know why he gets so cringe, but he can really get unbearable and overbearing.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I see,I'll have to scour some other threads to see what others thought as I did not watch,but it would be a first then imo.
Poehling was pretty good last night. Scored a goal. Would have set up another goal but Peeke managed to block the pass. And on the PP a guy got a breakaway and he outskated the guy and stopped the scoring chance.

Reactions: angusyoung

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
The announcement is Andie Bennett will be back on Melnick's show again and will be starting the first week of June I think she said. She's currently on TSN690 right now.

What are the chances she is taking over the show from Melnick ?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That’s an interesting thought. Melnick is getting on and none of those at the station currently seem suited for the station’s top gig.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He did say today before announcing this news that he's not sure how long he as left doing this since he's now 63 years old and the one thing he's been trying to do is to get Bennett back on his show for a while so he could work with her again before he calls it a career

He said it's about time that they've had a female voice back on the station again and that whenever someone moved on from his show and they asked him who he'd like to replace them he's always said he wanted Bennett back and it finally happened so good for him getting her back.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
He did say today before announcing this news that he's not sure how long he as left doing this since he's now 63 years old and the one thing he's been trying to do is to get Bennett back on his show for a while so he could work with her again before he calls it a career

He said it's about time that they've had a female voice back on the station again and that whenever someone moved on from his show and they asked him who he'd like to replace them he's always said he wanted Bennett back and it finally happened so good for him getting her back.
They need a shakeup. Their lineup is too set in their ways and looks tired. Bennett is a step in the right direction however there is some deadwood that needs to be ditched. Too much of it sounds like student radio.

DougHarvey

Aug 11, 2004
They need a shakeup. Their lineup is too set in their ways and looks tired. Bennett is a step in the right direction however there is some deadwood that needs to be ditched. Too much of it sounds like student radio.
They can start by getting rid of Tony Mortadella and his illegitimate son Gallo.

They can hold open auditions as I am sure they could find much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad