TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
He did say today before announcing this news that he's not sure how long he as left doing this since he's now 63 years old and the one thing he's been trying to do is to get Bennett back on his show for a while so he could work with her again before he calls it a career

He said it's about time that they've had a female voice back on the station again and that whenever someone moved on from his show and they asked him who he'd like to replace them he's always said he wanted Bennett back and it finally happened so good for him getting her back.
Is it mandatory that he leaves? 63 is not that old and if you like doing something,why leave? An uncle of mine was still doing surgery well into his 70's.

Reactions: jaffy27

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Is it mandatory that he leaves? 63 is not that old and if you like doing something,why leave? An uncle of mine was still doing surgery well into his 70's.
Not sure but I'd say Melnick could likely stay as long as he wants.

On April 1st during the Friday scrum (or whatever they call it now) Melnick said that he was retiring and that Tony was gonna be the new afternoon host taking over for him. Even though that was a little April fools prank I can eventually see that happening though whenever Melnick retires, which I hope isn't anytime soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: angusyoung

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
Hopefully John Goyens will be on 690's post game show more often.

Last edited:

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
wonder why 690 can't get better content like TSN TO
other then the fig talk , they seem to cover a range of sports MLB as well.
690 is weak other then habs, and even then they have local guys talking Habs not bigger names

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
690 is weak other then habs, and even then they have local guys talking Habs not bigger names
Maybe cuz Toronto actually has an MLB team? And an NBA team?

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hate him as much as you want, but pierre McGuire made Melnyk's show interesting.
He was OK on Melnyk's show.

I don't mind Aaron Ward (his replacement). Ward played the game and is now still involved. I also liked Nilan because he played, though I didn't always agree with him.

superstar436

Mar 4, 2004
He was OK on Melnyk's show.

I don't mind Aaron Ward (his replacement). Ward played the game and is now still involved. I also liked Nilan because he played, though I didn't always agree with him.
Pierre was well plugged and had better insights, he is an ex- coach.

Ward is a wanna-be clown. Bozzo the clown, the best clown of my generation bar-none 🤣, wouldn't take him in his school. No talent for hockey analysis no talent to humor people. Connections and buddies can make you go far in life!

Asif10

Mar 16, 2022
I don't know for a fact but i feel TSN690 sometimes pick topics from HFBoards and discusses it on the radio, more recently about Price HoF and the Lafreniere trade.

Could be a coincidence, but why would they randomly bring up Price's HoF when there's no media discussion surrounding the topic, and was just a random topic someone created here. Secondly there's nothing tying us to the lafreniere trade and this is also after trade deadline, however they brought this discussion up recently again after our Lafreniere topic surging on here.

This happens more on Tony's show and the morning show (Sean Starr to be specific). There's been other cases in the past but I can't put a finger on it now, anyways ill keep monitoring this.

ChickenDinner

Mar 20, 2022
Andie back is nice. Remember liking her back in the day but it's been so long. But honestly anything is better than the crap we are subjected to these days
Bring back pj stock and the stock exchange and we'll party like it's 2006? LOL. Now that's a winner winner..

People hate on Marinaro but at least he's a PERSONALITY. He entertains and talks sports. You hate him some times, you love him other times. Compare that to the always vanilla Alfieri that can bore a cardboard box into folding or the always miserable Gallo with his obviously fake laugh or the wannabe quizmaster Campbell who treats his 8-12h of daily radio like overnight college radio.

Still, ohaim?, trentadue are all interchangeable. I never know which is which because everybody is so freaking bland these days.

Once Melnick physically takes his retirement (he mentally checked out years ago) the station will be forced to make major changes. Only option there is now is Marinaro at the 3pm slot. Maybe McKenna?

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Is the expression ''you can't please all of the people all of the time''? which is accurate I'd say.
It's radio and not television so can not preselect what time to tune in to hear what you want like the tube.
I get the news I want and that's fine. Sure it's more amateurish then it could be and have no idea who is responsible for the hiring's. In days gone by you had to have acumen,savvy and also tone which sounded more professional. Can only imagine how CJAD would have fared had Balkan and Blackman sounded like Cheech and Chong.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Claude was a great talk show host in the days when call-in shows were true to their identity -- actual callers filling in hours of air time. Now, everything is pre-packaged and scripted, only occasionally will you hear open lines. The networks have mostly all been bought out by the Habs awarding broadcasting rights to the Habs, Laval and ECHL games, so they'll be very careful about protecting a significant source of revenue.

In Mailhot's days, there was a lot more freedom to express yourself. As there was for other shows from that era, like Richard Morency and Tom Lapointe's show.

Quite a story for Claude, a lawyer who moolighted at RDS and eventually left his law firm to make it a broadcasting career. Don't know what Claude's plans are but if he's indeed retiring, then it's well deserved. Good luck to him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Is the expression ''you can't please all of the people all of the time''? which is accurate I'd say.
It's radio and not television so can not preselect what time to tune in to hear what you want like the tube.
I get the news I want and that's fine. Sure it's more amateurish then it could be and have no idea who is responsible for the hiring's. In days gone by you had to have acumen,savvy and also tone which sounded more professional. Can only imagine how CJAD would have fared had Balkan and Blackman sounded like Cheech and Chong.
What I don't get is how a radio station can operate with basically the same people and same programming for a decade now, at least. Every network knows that their shows get stale and predictable after a while, so new people are typically brought in, new types of shows, something to pique your interest. Also, overexposure to the same hosts is toxic, you don't need to be a genius to know that.

And yet ... I laughed when I heard both Marinaro and Campbell on Easter Monday, throwing it to everyone's face about how they're not the type to stay at home during holidays and how they'll gladly work extra shifts. This is not a factory, you don't get to produce more widgets cause you worked overtime. Take a break, give your listeners the opportunity to hear different voices and different point of views that don't sound like Marinaro and Campbell, who are already on a lot -- especially Campbell, who does Habs post-game shows and calls Rocket games. Campbell is way past saturation point.

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
What I don't get is how a radio station can operate with basically the same people and same programming for a decade now, at least. Every network knows that their shows get boring and predictable after a while, so new people are typically brought in, new types of shows, something to pique your interest. Also, overexposure to the same hosts is toxic, you don't need to be a genius to know that.

And yet ... I laughed when I heard both Marinaro and Campbell on Easter Monday, throwing it to everyone's face about how they're not the type to stay at home during holidays and how they'll gladly work extra shifts. This is not a factory, you don't get to produce more widgets cause you worked overtime. Take a break, give your listeners the opportunity to hear different voices and different point of views that don't sound like Marinaro and Campbell, who are already on a lot -- especially Campbell, who does Habs post-game shows and calls Rocket games. Campbell is way past saturation point.
Well it behooves me as well that they have not taken measures to improve what the public perceives should. Perhaps there are no complaints that measure up to making drastic changes.? Who's in charge there anyways? anyone know? do they not have contact info to make valid,constructive opinions pertaining to quality etc?

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Maybe because nobody wants to hear mlb talk on Montreal radio lol. They probably see their listenership plummet when talking baseball or basketball so they avoid those subjects like the plague.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
What I don't get is how a radio station can operate with basically the same people and same programming for a decade now, at least. Every network knows that their shows get stale and predictable after a while, so new people are typically brought in, new types of shows, something to pique your interest. Also, overexposure to the same hosts is toxic, you don't need to be a genius to know that.

I know
For a big city , get more invited guests fir NFL , NBA, NHL MLB.
Tony went off today and said that everybody who listens to 690 wants to hear Habs 24 hours a day every day for a whole year
that could be partially true but then go get some other guests that have credibility to talk sports other than his big fat mouth running nonsense

Reactions: Runner77

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Once Melnick physically takes his retirement (he mentally checked out years ago) the station will be forced to make major changes. Only option there is now is Marinaro at the 3pm slot. Maybe McKenna?
Good grief, I hope not McKenna. I can't stand him. Very limited sport knowledge but extremely arrogant. I'll never forget the idiot blasting KK for getting COVID. I refuse to put on TSN 690 before 10am eastern time as I don't want to give him a single second of ratings.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I know
For a big city , get more invited guests fir NFL , NBA, NHL MLB.
Tony went off today and said that everybody who listens to 690 wants to hear Habs 24 hours a day every day for a whole year
that could be partially true but then go get some other guests that have credibility to talk sports other than his big fat mouth running nonsense
Tony is not wrong. Heard something similar from Montreal’s full time Franco radio counterpart, 91.9 FM, about 2 weeks ago, via their afternoon host Martin Lemay.

It’s more a Habs city than it is a sports at large city, but like you, I’d love to hear the best pundits from all major pro sports. However, because of its affiliation, 690 doesn’t get to air Sportsnet types but they do occasionally use US pundits.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Tony is not wrong. Heard something similar from Montreal’s full time Franco radio counterpart, 91.9 FM, about 2 weeks ago, via their afternoon host Martin Lemay.

It’s more a Habs city than it is a sports at large city, but like you, I’d love to hear the best pundits from all major pro sports. However, because of its affiliation, 690 doesn’t get to air Sportsnet types but they do occasionally use US pundits.
true enough, but TSN Toronto seems to get a better selection. yes they have 3 major sport teams there, but 690 needs to branch out

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
true enough, but TSN Toronto seems to get a better selection. yes they have 3 major sport teams there, but 690 needs to branch out
TSN Toronto has a wider audience and better sponsors than 690, so that has to factor into the better selection of programming they can offer.

However, there are still things that 690 can do to freshen up its offerings.

jackeymoon

Tropical!
Jan 16, 2018
Northern Ontario

As someone who's lived in 3 other major cities that's 100% true. Montreal is not a sports town, it's a Habs town.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad