TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Always sad when someone loses his livelyhood. Nilan is not rich to say the least.
He wasn’t very good but he’s an ex-Hab who loved the crest. And I don’t care about his political views.

I loved Nilan the player. He took on all takers and he worked his way into a decent player and was on one of the best checking lines of all time with Carbo and Gainey. Nilan's presence on the Habs was certainly valuable.

As far as losing his current livelihood goes, if only there was a way he could have kept his job...:naughty:

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Never been a fan of the radio donkey whisperer in Nilan, but his story and perhaps 690’s work practices, seems stupid… it’s radio and 2022. Could Nilan not just work from home? I have a much more difficult job than talking 2-3 hours a day with people and making hee haw sounds and I’m effective 100% remote.

Anyhow, if Bell is trying to drive 690 further into the ground, more Campbell and his “friends” will do the trick.

He likely has been working remotely all along. A lot of companies (e.g. Bell) are requiring their employees to be vaccinated to meet their "societal obligations" as a corporation. Some organizations are likely doing it simply for PR. Others may be genuine.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No, simply a negative PCR test result.
Entering Canada have to show proof of vaccination + negative PCR test

Entering US….. no requirements, honor system

Nilan was in Mass for his fathers funeral and I assume never came back up because he wouldn’t be able to cross the border into Canada

Reactions: Corson27

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Only on that show could a low level hack who can’t be bothered to research anything before he was born, be afforded so much pump and circumstance.

Melnick is to blame for having allowed a bunch of truly annoying sorts to take over shows on 690 and for allowing an incompetent like Campbell to end up in Laval’s broadcast booth as well as being given a ton of air time with so little of value to contribute.
Nah…. it’s not Melnick, there just aren’t many options to choose from in Mtl for Anglo sports talk radio, and when Melnick hangs it up (which I suspect is within a couple of years), not sure how the station survives with the rest of the not so funny comic relief & complete lack of professionalism

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
The only host I cannot tolerate whatsoever on 690 is McKenna. I refuse to listen to the morning show just because I don't want to give him any ratings or hits. His sports knowledge is piss poor, he's extremely arrogant and it sounds like someone's pinching his nose when he talks. The last straw for me was when Kotkaniemi got covid last year and McKenna blasted him for it and questioned how anyone could get it a year into the pandemic.

What an ignorant jackass!

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The only host I cannot tolerate whatsoever on 690 is McKenna. I refuse to listen to the morning show just because I don't want to give him any ratings or hits. His sports knowledge is piss poor, he's extremely arrogant and it sounds like someone's pinching his nose when he talks. The last straw for me was when Kotkaniemi got covid last year and McKenna blasted him for it and questioned how anyone could get it a year into the pandemic.

What an ignorant jackass!

His saving grace is that he sounds fine on the radio, but I agree that he's smug as hell and cannot carry a show on his own. He ain't no Elliott Price.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Nah…. it’s not Melnick, there just aren’t many options to choose from in Mtl for Anglo sports talk radio, and when Melnick hangs it up (which I suspect is within a couple of years), not sure how the station survives with the rest of the not so funny comic relief & complete lack of professionalism

Melnick chooses who he works with on his show. A lot of those abhorrent types began there. He’s the station’s senior voice, you better believe he has influence. Melnick is also the one who got Nilan hired at the station.

FlatIron

Sep 27, 2017
Montreal
I'm confused with Nilan's comment. He says he consulted with his doctor and due to his medical conditions, he didn't get the shot. But he was not granted a medical exemption.

Wouldn't his doctor grant it due to his medical condition?

Bell Media has to approve the exemption, my wife's company has a mandate too and this women who got an H1N1 shot a few years back had a really bad reaction and her doctor advised her against getting the Covid vaccine just to be on the safe side. The company didn't accept the doctor's exemption so she had to get the shot, fortunately she didn't have a bad reaction. Anyway, he shot up enough crap into his system when he was an addict, a shot wouldn't have killed him. I don't get his or other's thought process.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Nilan should have been fired years ago. He was tweeting, retweeting and liking blatantly racist and dog whistle shit during the black lives matter movement.

And with that, we know that his medical exemption to the vaccine was ideological and not medical.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm due for my proctologists examination.:shakehead

Reactions: Runner77

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Bell Media has to approve the exemption, my wife's company has a mandate too and this women who got an H1N1 shot a few years back had a really bad reaction and her doctor advised her against getting the Covid vaccine just to be on the safe side. The company didn't accept the doctor's exemption so she had to get the shot, fortunately she didn't have a bad reaction. Anyway, he shot up enough crap into his system when he was an addict, a shot wouldn't have killed him. I don't get his or other's thought process.

For me, whether he wanted to take the vaccine or not is not really my issue. It was the confusion about his exemption.

But you offered a good example that it could be the company that refused the exemption. Thanks for that info.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Never been a fan of the radio donkey whisperer in Nilan, but his story and perhaps 690’s work practices, seems stupid… it’s radio and 2022. Could Nilan not just work from home? I have a much more difficult job than talking 2-3 hours a day with people and making hee haw sounds and I’m effective 100% remote.

Anyhow, if Bell is trying to drive 690 further into the ground, more Campbell and his “friends” will do the trick.

I thought he was working remotely? if so,should not be an issue then.:dunno:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

That also crossed my mind. He did his show from his place most of the time. He even did it when he was in Hawaii earlier in the year. So the risk was non-existent if he's doing the show remotely.

But I'm guessing Bell Media did it to be fair to all of their employees? That even if you're currently not in the studio due to the pandemic, you still need to be vaccinated like those who are able to work from the studio.

Either that or they wanted Nilan off the airwaves and this provided an out for them.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
That also crossed my mind. He did his show from his place most of the time. He even did it when he was in Hawaii earlier in the year. So the risk was non-existent if he's doing the show remotely.

But I'm guessing Bell Media did it to be fair to all of their employees? That even if you're currently not in the studio due to the pandemic, you still need to be vaccinated like those who are able to work from the studio.

Either that or they wanted Nilan off the airwaves and this provided an out for them.

Probably looking for a way out,but who knows. If it were the former,seems rather pathetic imo. especially since he has been working remotely. Kind of sucks to be forced to do something against your will whatever your beliefs are.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

A lot of companies are doing that whether employees are working remotely or not. It's a way for corporations to tell the public that they're fulfilling their societal obligations so please do business with us.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A gripping sports story that Marinaro has been covering this morning — he has mice in his house.

He is going through a game plan where he tried to outsmarten the mice. Said he found one dead on his sofa.

He supplements his story by imitating how they sounded as they were running around at night and falling for the traps he had set and moved about.

He’s moved on from that to talking about all the restaurants he’s been to this week. Twenty minutes into his show and you get a takeaway of rodents and restaurant outings. I wonder how much mouse excrement he’s wearing and spreading wherever he visits.

I’ve had my sports fill. Thanks Tony.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
A gripping sports story that Marinaro has been covering this morning — he has mice in his house.

He is going through a game plan where he tried to outsmarten the mice. Said he found one dead on his sofa.

He supplements his story by imitating how they sounded as they were running around at night and falling for the traps he had set and moved about.

He’s moved on from that to talking about all the restaurants he’s been to this week. Twenty minutes into his show and you get a takeaway of rodents and restaurant outings. I wonder how much mouse excrement he’s wearing and spreading wherever he visits.

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode,Tony is Kramer!:eek:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

The Marinaro vs. Mice storyline has been covered since last year. I think this has been building for the last two years and will finally come to a head at WreslteMania this year.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Some parts of his brain were working remotely in an unknown dimension during his show. :sarcasm:

He was tough to listen to but at least, he fell back on his feet and likely being on 690 did him some good. Unfortunately, broadcasting just wasn’t his calling.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Marinaro vs. Mice storyline has been covered since last year. I think this has been building for the last two years and will finally come to a head at WreslteMania this year.

Luckily, I’m not a regular listener. He has so little value added content that he needs to repeat the sordid details of his life.

If I’m hearing this mice infestation stuff he’s been blathering about and if he were to be anywhere close to a location I’d be in, forget masks, vaccines and Covid, I’d want him fumigated.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Melnick chooses who he works with on his show. A lot of those abhorrent types began there. He’s the station’s senior voice, you better believe he has influence. Melnick is also the one who got Nilan hired at the station.
That says lots…. no business wants to fail, the fact that Tony Marinaro is considered “good” or they were even able to fit Nilan into a radio job is laughable.

Neither would ever get an on air sports radio job in say Toronto let alone any major US market..

There’s simply no real talent in the market for English sports radio to drive competition..

Last edited:

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Some parts of his brain were working remotely in an unknown dimension during his show. :sarcasm:

He was tough to listen to but at least, he fell back on his feet and likely being on 690 did him some good. Unfortunately, broadcasting just wasn’t his calling.

Well he did often seem easily distracted didn't he,I probably wouldn't let him drive me around anyways. Sure I like adventure,but at my behest.Funny thing is a ran into him a few times years ago,and he did not stammer at all. Radio thing?

I really can not be that critical of the on air talent at the station as pretty much everyone annoys me at some point,hence the extensive ex-wives and girlfriends list.

Not any options out there and I have listened to other cities hockey talk and the topics are of no interest to me and find them all pretty bland. At least you know what you're getting with these guys and a sense of familiarity.

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Well he did often seem easily distracted didn't he,I probably wouldn't let him drive me around anyways. Sure I like adventure,but at my behest.Funny thing is a ran into him a few times years ago,and he did not stammer at all. Radio thing?

I really can not be that critical of the on air talent at the station as pretty much everyone annoys me at some point,hence the extensive ex-wives and girlfriends list.

Not any options out there and I have listened to other cities hockey talk and the topics are of no interest to me and find them all pretty bland. At least you know what you're getting with these guys and a sense of familiarity.

Familiarity breeds contempt. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad