TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
And he knows sports well! I don’t have any other issues with him aside from my critiques

Melnick is also a bit of a creep. He gets into these really embarrassing sexual innuendos. Someone should remind him that it's a family show and he's not on XM radio.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
It's not the first time Flynn calls out Gorton and Hughes. He said the same thing on his hit on Monday.

Hahaha! Hughes has been on the job for less than two weeks. Gorton was running a GM selection process. The trade deadline is still 7 weeks away.

I'd love to know what NHL GM we could fleece on a trade that would make this awful Habs team play respectable hockey immediately! :laugh:

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Hahaha! Hughes has been on the job for less than two weeks. Gorton was running a GM selection process. The trade deadline is still 7 weeks away.

I'd love to know what NHL GM we could fleece on a trade that would make this awful Habs team play respectable hockey immediately! :laugh:
Not only that but you probably get better value for a player closer to the deadline. I love that Gorton and Hughes are taking their time and not making panic moves.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Today he was calling out Gorton and Hughes for not making any trades and watching the Habs get humiliated every night (as if a trade is the answer). He said they should have kept Mellanby so they wouldn't have to learn about all their players (as if Mellanby is the only person in Hockey Ops who knows all about Habs players). He then went on about how well the Rangers were built and attributed it to Chris Drury staying there after Gorton left because he was familiar with who all the players were (as if Drury staying is the reason the Rangers are strong this year).

There was no mention that Gorton built that Rangers team and maybe he knows what he's doing. Next time I hear Flynn on TSN radio, I'm turning it off and listening to music.
There is truth to the Drury qualification - I’ve mentioned it before, Larry Brooks & Howie Rose had a full timeslot on WFAN dedicated to why Davidson & Gorton were canned by Sather.. not because of Wilson episode as people opine, but rather Gorton was more focused on skill than grit which Dolan & Sather felt was lacking on the team.

All of Drury’s moves last summer were grit focused, adding components that made the team to be harder to play against

Reactions: Dick Duff

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
There is truth to the Drury qualification - I’ve mentioned it before, Larry Brooks & Howie Rose had a full timeslot on WFAN dedicated to why Davidson & Gorton were canned by Sather.. not because of Wilson episode as people opine, but rather Gorton was more focused on skill than grit which Dolan & Sather felt was lacking on the team.

All of Drury’s moves last summer were grit focused, adding components that made the team to be harder to play against

Sure...but Flynn's point was that we should have kept Mellanby like the Rangers kept Drury so we could make trades right now as Mellanby is familiar with the players. He was suggesting that Gorton/Hughes are wasting time learning what they have and that the team is playing humiliating hockey because of this. His point about Mellanby/Drury and their internal familiarity has nothing to do with your point about Drury identifying grit externally from other teams during the offseason.

He was very incoherent and all over the place. I can't believe he gets paid to be a talking head about hockey.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
... and you get about the same amount of useful information and insights.
you get more, at least on mute your brain aint scrambled and can produce something.
Listening to flynn busts any creative thinking one might have
Many here know i defend most of the pundits on 690, but flynn is really really bad

Reactions: Schooner Guy

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Sure...but Flynn's point was that we should have kept Mellanby like the Rangers kept Drury so we could make trades right now as Mellanby is familiar with the players. He was suggesting that Gorton/Hughes are wasting time learning what they have and that the team is playing humiliating hockey because of this. His point about Mellanby/Drury and their internal familiarity has nothing to do with your point about Drury identifying grit externally from other teams during the offseason.

He was very incoherent and all over the place. I can't believe he gets paid to be a talking head about hockey.
Probably around $50-100 per appearance. Which is extra cash added to his Canada Post pension.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Not sure how Gorton and Hughes could have kept Mellanby since he resigned before either of them were hired.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
My biggest beef with logging onto TSN 690 is hearing a long drawn out Winnipeg based commercial and usually followed by three to five Montreal commercials before Tony Mariano or one of the boys speaks. They talk no more than 10 minutes before another round of five to seven commercials. Yawn. Too many commercials!!!

Another beef is Sean Campbell who would tease his audience by delaying the top topic until toward the end of the show and then having to rush it due to the sports news.

PuckNorris

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal
My biggest beef with logging onto TSN 690 is hearing a long drawn out Winnipeg based commercial and usually followed by three to five Montreal commercials before Tony Mariano or one of the boys speaks. They talk no more than 10 minutes before another round of five to seven commercials. Yawn. Too many commercials!!!

Another beef is Sean Campbell who would tease his audience by delaying the top topic until toward the end of the show and then having to rush it due to the sports news.

They need to pay the bills somehow. Local radio doesn't bring in the cash like it used to.

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
One would think Melnick show is losing one of the greatest broadcasters in the history of radio, let alone sports radio with the way he’s acting this week.

every damn interview I gotta hear about how it’s joeys last one with this guy and that guy and on and on. Christ get over it

Reactions: Runner77

Suzuki x 14

GoHabsGo
Mar 14, 2006
Montreal
Nilan announced he was fired from 690 for not being vaccinated. That's why he's been away.
Didn’t see this, I won’t lose sleep over it.
I feel bad for how it happened to him cuz everyone is free to make their own decisions on their body. But I won’t miss him on the radio.

Reactions: Redux91

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One would think Melnick show is losing one of the greatest broadcasters in the history of radio, let alone sports radio with the way he’s acting this week.

every damn interview I gotta hear about how it’s joeys last one with this guy and that guy and on and on. Christ get over it

Only on that show could a low level hack who can’t be bothered to research anything that happened before he was born, be afforded so much pump and circumstance.

Melnick is to blame for having allowed a bunch of truly annoying sorts to take over shows on 690 and for allowing an incompetent like Campbell to end up in Laval’s broadcast booth as well as being given a ton of air time with so little of value to contribute.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Nilan announced he was fired from 690 for not being vaccinated. That's why he's been away.

No kidding wow
I didnt realize because I usually tune out from 1 to 3 lmao

Sucks for Nilan, hes been having a rough couple months..

Campbell probably takes over that slot completely now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad