TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
CKGM survives partly because the CRTC ruled decades ago that Montreal was two distinct radio markets - French and English.

In 2012 Bell bought stations owned by Astral Media and wanted to convert TSN 690 into RDS 690. The CRTC was bombarded by the anglophone community and said no. CKGM must stay as an English station.

Montreal is a key player in North American radio history but one station got shafted in 1941

That would be CFCF 600 AM which was the FIRST radio station in North America beating KDKA in Pittsburgh by a year. CFCF was not given the clear channel it deserved but a secondary signal at 600 that could not beam a nighttime signal into the US.

Today it is CFQR but the same restrictions apply.

1687331094506.png

The ONLY non-government-owned station in Canada that was given a clear channel was 730 CKAC which today US listeners as far south as Miami can get traffic reports in French.

Tonight we are hearing Bell plans to shutter a station in Windsor, Ontario and that will allow them to improve CJAD's signal to the west.

CKLW was a freak of geography - It could not beam at night east on the Canadian side of Lake Erie to protect CJAD in Montreal but on the US side of Lake Erie it could.

1687332060219.png

They changed AM radio in the US 50 years ago - their newscasts were :help:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
690 should hie the drunk Hank the Tank, co anchor with MItch the grunge Melnick
Who is that guy? I was never lucky/ unlucky enough to hear him. When is he usually on — when he’s not sober, I take it?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
he always calls in and habs lunch love him
just a clown that is hammered and they play the intro music that is played for that mets reliver
“Reliver” — liver replacement eventually happens to someone who is always drunk.

Except that, I didn’t know until know that it was a verb.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills...
please...
please..
listen to Simon ask this guy who he thinks Habs will take at the draft...
He goes an epic 20 minute rant about a bunch of Hab players and then every team's state and never even answers the question lol... Is he high?

tumblr_b7fdfe96f631f1644cb37d0176f309b5_327ce938_400.gif

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I said I was supposed to be off grid, but I had to comment on a very controversial podcast Elisabeth Rancourt (TVA Spanre) took part in which she takes major parting shots at Carey Price (overrated, not worthy of anything, etc) and Marc Denis, from RDS (talks too well, not enough emotion) amongst others.

I think the job got to her head…I sense there will be some backlash. I wonder how Denis will respond. If some can post the podcast here, it’d be much appreciated.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I only know Marc Denis from his TSN690 appearances but he seems too classy to dignify that with a response.

Speaking of Price, it's become annoying how often 690 is playing the audio clip from the draft. I think we all know it by now...enough. Shaun Starr thought it was necessary to play it this morning yet again and when he said it was the last time, you could kind of tell from Marco D'Amico's response that he thought it should have been the last time, long ago. (D'Amico is great on radio and I'd like to hear more from him)

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
I said I was supposed to be off grid, but I had to comment on a very controversial podcast Elisabeth Rancourt (TVA Spanre) took part in which she takes major parting shots at Carey Price (overrated, not worthy of anything, etc) and Marc Denis, from RDS (talks too well, not enough emotion) amongst others.

I think the job got to her head…I sense there will be some backlash. I wonder how Denis will respond. If some can post the podcast here, it’d be much appreciated.

I don’t understand why she felt the need to do something like that.

She gets a big break and replaces Jean and then feels the need to go for one of the most beloved analyst.

My french isn’t great and I will always choose to watch in french because I want something focused on the Habs, but I remember Denis taking classes before getting the job so he could express is ideas clearly. Which I respect immensely. And with time he learned to let go at times and show a goofier side.

Maybe she’s branching out or something because she knows TVA Sports is on life support, but that was just a weird comment to make.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Reactions: Rapala

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

To think that they preferred her over Louis Jean and kept that sycophant Renaud Lavoie. Pure TVA Spanre behavior.

Surprised they haven’t found a modern day Réal Giguère to get fully on brand.

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Checked out an on demand interview with Beck by the Melnyck and Beck comes off as well spoken,articulate,smart,a good listen. Ramage mentioned that Beck is a coaches dream player,high praise for him from Ramage. Will certainly be pulling for him and keeping track of his progression. Kind of getting Doug Risebrough vibes from him but doubt he's that prone to fisticuffs.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

They should have stuck to telephones.:sarcasm:
I hope the CRTC tells them to piss off.

Checked out an on demand interview with Beck by the Melnyck and Beck comes off as well spoken,articulate,smart,a good listen. Ramage mentioned that Beck is a coaches dream player,high praise for him from Ramage. Will certainly be pulling for him and keeping track of his progression. Kind of getting Doug Risebrough vibes from him but doubt he's that prone to fisticuffs.
I don't know about fisticuffs but he is prone to snark.

Reactions: Runner77

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
And he got the firing of the two therapists right too.

He broke the news. And when media people reached out to the Habs, they confirmed it.

So Tony got two scoops right back-to-back.
He got the two scoops right and I thought he was spot on with his assessment of the PLD dossier.
What happened?
Get him off the air and he not only becomes better connected but smarter too.
Go Figure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad