TSN 690 and Other Montreal Based Media (Part 10)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
The infamous condo with the centipedes? Good lord, what a travesty! :sarcasm:

What did you move to — another condo in Gatineau?
Yep, closer to what they call the Agora neighbourhood in Hull.

The Athletic started out with a vision of addressing the great many gaps in sports team coverage. Hilariously sad what can happen in just 7 years
The financial model is unsustainable. No internet-based medium can survive unless you're the Post or the NYT. Not on a such a huge scale. I mean, you can buy the Athletic for one buck a month. One buck!

Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

Tiki-Taki
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Yep, closer to what they call the Agora neighbourhood in Hull.

The financial model is unsustainable. No internet-based medium can survive unless you're the Post or the NYT. Not on a such a huge scale. I mean, you can buy the Athletic for one buck a month. One buck!
There is an Agora neighborhood? a lot of Greeks?

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Another TSN radio station shuts down and let's everyone go.

I think the only ones left are TSN690 in Montreal, 1200 in Ottawa, and 1050 in Toronto.

Maybe a few others still left. But they are slowly, slowly shutting them down.

Edmonton unfortunately now joins Winnipeg, Hamilton and Vancouver of having Bell shutting down their sports radio station.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sad for MAG(can’t remember the numbers he was using after the first three letters as a username on this forum a while back), he used to be one of us.
So we had MAG and MiG. Awesome.

Now, I have another, lesser smart bidet. And no warm water. Just cold. But still efficient!
Keep that Bunghole tight my man. :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Adam Seaborn
@AHBSeaborn
·
Follow
Over 1300 jobs cut today at Bell Media Radio stations being closed: -Winnipeg's Funny 1290 -Calgary's Funny 1060 -Edmonton's TSN 1260 -Vancouver's BNN 1410, Funny 1040 -London's NewsTalk 1290
Bell is also selling Hamilton's AM Radio 1150 and AM 820, as well as Windsor's AM 580.
Megla idiots just killing another industry. Were they able to suck any profit out of the venture.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
All the TSN stations that didn't own play-by-play rights are gone. Toronto is probably a big enough market to support such a station but otherwise there's just no money in AM radio. Montreal and Ottawa are lucky they own the rights to NHL (and to a lesser extent CFL, MLS/CPL soccer etc.) or else they would have probably faced the same fate.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Bell is also selling Hamilton's AM Radio 1150 and AM 820, as well as Windsor's AM 580.
I’d like to see a lot more of that instead of Bell ransacking and eliminating stations altogether. How did the CRTC not see this coming? Who is protecting the public interest?

Now, it could well be that radio is no longer viable in its current format in certain markets. If only someone else might be given a chance to right a ship.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Even TSN1050 in Toronto hasn't been spared with the cuts.

Strange that they canceled Leafs Lunch. Must have been low ratings in the "hockey mecca"?

I mean they're going to have sports on the air at that time anyway. Why not put a couple of stooges in to talk about the Leafs for two hours like Gallo and Campbell do on the Habs lunch show (which I haven't listened to in close to a year).

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
Strange that they canceled Leafs Lunch. Must have been low ratings in the "hockey mecca"?

I mean they're going to have sports on the air at that time anyway. Why not put a couple of stooges in to talk about the Leafs for two hours like Gallo and Campbell do on the Habs lunch show (which I haven't listened to in close to a year).
They are substituting it with espn radio so they don't need to pay for on air talent, producers, directors etc.

• Wow
Reactions: sheed36

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

It got to a point where only @sheed36 was listening in, based on his multiple posts about the show. :sarcasm:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I still remember the day bell cut off tsn 1040 in Vancouver.

It was the morning, and employees at the station were suddenly told to pack their things and leave quickly.

Meanwhile, they put green day on the radio with the song "time of your life"...... And just like that, it was over.

If you don't have the nhl rights in a Canadian market, it's really tough to hang on.

In Vancouver, there are a couple radio all sports stations that have come and gone. In both cases, it was the station that didn't happen to have the Canucks rights. You can also argue that there isn't even room for one, because I think teams will eventually move their broadcasts "in house".

Reactions: Schooner Guy

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
It got to a point where only @sheed36 was listening in, based on his multiple posts about the show. :sarcasm:
Since the shakeup at 690 after both Tony and Nilan left I listened to Leafs Lunch on TSN 1050 a fair bit since they usually had guys like Dreger, Johnson, Johnston, Button, and even Ferraro on so I use to catch their segments whenever I could to listen to what they had to say.

I tuned in again today and discovered that it wasn't on and was wondering why not but thought they must've just shut the show down for the summer or something so I'm quite surprised to hear that it's been completely canceled.

Both hosts were massive Leafs homers of course and could get a bit annoying at times, especially when talking amongst themselves about their precious Leafs, but the segments with the TSN guys above and any other guests was always quite good and informative so I'll certainly miss that for sure.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I listen to the team 1200, or did during the week. Sometimes I'd be able to listen to it for 10 hours and it would be one segment talked about NHL news, then the next segment would pretty much say the same thing.

I can't imagine there's a lot of listeners between 9-11:30 and 1-3/4

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Actually, that's a good move, bwahahaha!

Still shocked that people listen to AM radio.

I listen to the morning guys in Vancouver on my way to work. It overlaps a little bit with Jeff marek's show while I drive as well.

Thats about all I listen to.... About 15 mins each weekday.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Rumors flying that Bell Media will silence CKGM 690 in the next few days and also close down local TV news in Montreal and produce it from either Ottawa or Toronto.

I have friends who work for Bell in Montreal and they are terrified.

The belief is Bell would like to move CJAD from 800 to 690 as the latter has a stronger signal. Habs games could easily be shifted to CJAD along with other sports. Moving the Habs to CJFM (95.9) could also be on the table.

TV is also in turmoil. The Bell suits in Toronto have been wanting Mutsumi Takahashi to retire but she has resisted. Toronto knows there would be viewer anger but they survived firing Lisa LaFlamme.

What I can tell you is not even the Bell managers in Montreal know what could happen - Toronto calls the shots.

CFRN didn't change the format - they turned the transmitter off

CFRN-AM Technical Details:

Station StatusCanadian Class A AM Station
Antenna ModeDirectional (Nighttime Only)
Power50,000 Watts
Daytime Number of Towers1
Nighttime Number of Towers2
Transmitter Location53° 27' 07" N, 113° 40' 56" W
License ExpiresAugust 31 2024
Last FCC UpdateNovember 06 2001

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Rumors flying that Bell Media will silence CKGM 690 in the next few days and also close down local TV news in Montreal and produce it from either Ottawa or Toronto.

I have friends who work for Bell in Montreal and they are terrified.

The belief is Bell would like to move CJAD from 800 to 690 as the latter has a stronger signal. Habs games could easily be shifted to CJAD along with other sports. Moving the Habs to CJFM (95.9) could also be on the table.

TV is also in turmoil. The Bell suits in Toronto have been wanting Mutsumi Takahashi to retire but she has resisted. Toronto knows there would be viewer anger but they survived firing Lisa LaFlamme.

What I can tell you is not even the Bell managers in Montreal know what could happen - Toronto calls the shots.

CFRN didn't change the format - they turned the transmitter off

CFRN-AM Technical Details:

Station StatusCanadian Class A AM Station
Antenna ModeDirectional (Nighttime Only)
Power50,000 Watts
Daytime Number of Towers1
Nighttime Number of Towers2
Transmitter Location53° 27' 07" N, 113° 40' 56" W
License ExpiresAugust 31 2024
Last FCC UpdateNovember 06 2001

Absolutely wild. We can't be shocked by this though, the writing has been on the wall for years. I feel bad for Melnick and Campbell, they hustle their asses off.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Since the shakeup at 690 after both Tony and Nilan left I listened to Leafs Lunch on TSN 1050 a fair bit since they usually had guys like Dreger, Johnson, Johnston, Button, and even Ferraro on so I use to catch their segments whenever I could to listen to what they had to say.

I tuned in again today and discovered that it wasn't on and was wondering why not but thought they must've just shut the show down for the summer or something so I'm quite surprised to hear that it's been completely canceled.

Both hosts were massive Leafs homers of course and could get a bit annoying at times, especially when talking amongst themselves about their precious Leafs, but the segments with the TSN guys above and any other guests was always quite good and informative so I'll certainly miss that for sure.

Agree 100%. TSN Toronto talk a lot of Leafs naturally but their segments with hockey analysts are really good.

That said, most of my hockey listening is the NHL network or a number of Habs podcasts. I also subscribe to a few non-Habs for hockey, like Dangle, Marek and CJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad