True Crime and Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Alan Eagleson.
Embezzled from Bobby Orr and misrepresented him with the Bruins resulting in Orr leaving as a free agent.

This book was outstanding.

not to mention skimming/misreporting ad revenue from the Canada Cup, the Players Pension Fund, etc. Would love for a real deep dive documentary TV series on this rather than the typical flavor of the month "Inventing Anna" type stuff.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
I don't think there's anyone who can convince me that he didn't get the "rich athlete" treatment. If you or I committed vehicular homicide while drunk I don't think the judge would be so quick to let us off with zero real punishment. It's a joke.
You should stop claiming he was drunk when that’s already been disproven in this thread. Hard to take anyone seriously when they blatantly embellish the facts to strengthen their argument

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
You should stop claiming he was drunk when that’s already been disproven in this thread. Hard to take anyone seriously when they blatantly embellish the facts to strengthen their argument

To be fair there is a possibility but it'd depend heavily on when his blood was drawn, and the guy has folded repeatedly when asked for anything factual to back up his insistence that Heatley was drunk.

... Then brought up the metabolism of pro athletes, while claiming that he qualified it with "Even without considering", even though he's the one who introduced that dumb shit as a potential factor.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Girl A murders her father...

Girl B murders her father...

Girl A murders her father because she wanted his inheritance.

Girl B murders her father because he was abusing her.

Context DOES matter, in crime, and just about everything else in life.

minibrodeur

May 17, 2022
I never said "murder" in my first comment and have conceded that Murder is not the right term, anytime I've said the specific term "murder" was not correct. "Reckless Homicide" is the term that should be used.
Stop twisting the words to make it look worse. Yes he drove recklessly, but that doesn't make it a reckless homicide. He was charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide. This is a car accident, Dan Snyder is one of Heatleys good friends, there's zero malice or negative intent here.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Girl A murders her father...

Girl B murders her father...

Girl A murders her father because she wanted his inheritance.

Girl B murders her father because he was abusing her.

Context DOES matter, in crime, and just about everything else in life.

Ehh... There's still context needed even here. I remember in college we had a guest speaker who was hailed as a "Hero" and "Survivor" of domestic violence.

... Because she put a shotgun to her abusive husband's head while he was asleep and pulled the trigger.

Reactions: DaveG

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
David Frost ain't no saint though. I know he was acquitted, but he was arrested for being a Ped0. was he innocent or did he get off on technicality etc.

and also arrested for other stuff too.
Seriously. What Danton did wasn't right (attempting to hire a hitman), but the intended victim wasn't some innocent who never harmed anyone a day in their life. Frost was a piece of human scum as well.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Not NHL related, but one of the more fascinating documentaries I’ve watched is about the Danbury Trashers (UHL) team in Danbury, Connecticut. I think it’s on Netflix.

The owner, James Gallante, was a garbage disposal mogul and allegedly connected to organized crime. He appointed his 17(!) year old son as GM to run the team. They built a team of brawlers and set a league record for penalty minutes, actually doing quite well in their two seasons. Mike Rupp and Brent Gretzky were recruited to play on the team.

However, Gallante was charged with racketeering after their second season and the team folded.
Wingfield, the Trashers enforcer played for my team in the UK. A legit nice guy.

A crazy story. One of those where if it was a fictional movie we’d all think it was ridiculously unrealistic.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Seriously. What Danton did wasn't right (attempting to hire a hitman), but the intended victim wasn't some innocent who never harmed anyone a day in their life. Frost was a piece of human scum as well.

I mean I'm all for exterminating pedos, but from what I've read it doesn't seem like that's the reason Danton did it...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
While waiting for luggage, he informed my Dad that, to make the big bucks, "don't be a hockey player, be a lawyer." That should tell you everything.
There might not of been a big difference in the 60s or 70’s in salary for an average NHLer and high paid lawyer. In the 60’s lots of players got summer jobs.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

There was a huge court case about this subject recently (in general terms - if a person was horrendously abused or trafficked, do they get a lighter, or no sentence, if their violence was against their abuser/trafficker). This is no easy question.

Turns out the judge was not sympathetic to the the law that some interpreted as stating she should go free.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I mean I'm all for exterminating pedos, but from what I've read it doesn't seem like that's the reason Danton did it...
? That's why I opened with "what Danton did wasn't right". I was just saying that a person like Frost gets zero sympathy from me for anything that happens to him.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
? That's why I opened with "what Danton did wasn't right". I was just saying that a person like Frost gets zero sympathy from me for anything that happens to him.

I'm just saying I don't take Frost being a POS into account for what Danton did, considering it had nothing to do with why Danton did it.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
I'm just saying I don't take Frost being a POS into account for what Danton did, considering it had nothing to do with why Danton did it.
Yeah I don't like the idea of bringing up someone's history if it has nothing to do with why they were killed, or an effort was made to kill them. It happens way too much to try to exonerate certain people who kill certain other people. It seems like Danton was out of his mind, and the attempted hit grew out of a delusion that someone was after him.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Even this case aside, I don't think that a family saying "well we think he feels really bad, so he shouldn't face punishment" should excuse a person from legal consequences. Playing professional sports should be a privilege, and I don't think someone who recklessly ends another's life should go on to earn over 50 million dollars playing professional hockey. Just my opinion, i never knew how hot of a take this was.
I don't see much relevance in this part of your argument. He wasn't awarded money because of his DUI, he was allowed to resume his job which just so happened to be very well-paying. I don't think anyone would be upset if this exact same situation happened to someone working at a taco stand. If one's financial status shouldn't protect them from the law, it shouldn't subject them to harsher punishment either. Your gripe should be more with the NHL than the justice system. Either way, the Heatley Case doesn't apply to this thread.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Snyder died in a car accident that Heatley caused. Heatley may have acted like an idiot, but at the end of the day it was accidental. His punishment seems in line with what is typically handed out in that type of scenario.

Stop twisting the words to make it look worse. Yes he drove recklessly, but that doesn't make it a reckless homicide. He was charged with 2nd degree vehicular homicide. This is a car accident, Dan Snyder is one of Heatleys good friends, there's zero malice or negative intent here.

Yeah, the outrage here is weird.

From a moral perspective I have a hard time being judgemental also because basically every young guy has driven a car too fast with his buddies (or been in a car that was being driven too fast) and probably virtually every NHL player has done something similar to what Heatley was doing. He just had an accident and others didn’t.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Ehh... There's still context needed even here. I remember in college we had a guest speaker who was hailed as a "Hero" and "Survivor" of domestic violence.

... Because she put a shotgun to her abusive husband's head while he was asleep and pulled the trigger.

Kind of like the Gypsy Rose case.

Reactions: Konnan511

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
It was tested at .015 god knows how long after the accident. I'm not sure how anyone would believe he wasn't intoxicated. In the United States you can even be charged with a DWI if you blow under .08 if there's evidence that alcohol could have impaired your ability to drive. I'm not sure how anyone would give Heatley the benefit of the doubt here.....
I got an underage drinking citation a month before I turned 21. I agreed to a breathalyzer because I had stopped drinking hours before, had gone to the diner, felt pretty much sober. I ended up blowing a 0.19 so I don’t think alcohol metabolizes out of your system as quickly as you think it does.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Dude you've been saying such absurd shit that I stopped fully reading your posts a long time ago.
I don’t get why you’re responding if you’re not reading what you’re responding to. Your vitriol toward me is confusing.

I’ll respond to those others in time, I’m not going to try to have 4 conversations all at once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad