True Crime and Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
This post is extremely misleading. Dany Heatley had consumed alcohol but was not impaired during the crash. This was proven out during the investigation.

A life lesson, you should be very careful what you say and write. While this accident was tragic and heartbreaking, and he pled guilty to second degree vehicular homicide, alcohol was not a factor. Remember that libel is a thing, and it could come back to bite you.
By the time he got tested it was below the limit, I don't know if I believe anyone truly thinks alcohol had no bearing on the actual accident. At the very least, he was driving recklessly. There's nothing libelous at all in anything I've said. He had alcohol in his system (to the point of intoxication in my opinion) and he recklessly caused an accident which killed his teammate.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Doesn't matter if Frost was a saint or not. You can't just commission people to be murdered.

I don't think there's anyone who can convince me that he didn't get the "rich athlete" treatment. If you or I committed vehicular homicide while drunk I don't think the judge would be so quick to let us off with zero real punishment. It's a joke.

Err... We had a girl here wipe out and kill three kids getting off the bus while she was texting. Two years.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Heatleys' BAC was less than 0.015, not close to the legal limit. Impairment by alcohol/drugs wasn't a factor. he still killed someone with reckless driving but being drunk would have taken it to a whole other level and he certainly wouldn't have gotten off as easy if he was hammered and did it.
It was tested at .015 god knows how long after the accident. I'm not sure how anyone would believe he wasn't intoxicated. In the United States you can even be charged with a DWI if you blow under .08 if there's evidence that alcohol could have impaired your ability to drive. I'm not sure how anyone would give Heatley the benefit of the doubt here.....

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It was tested at .015 god knows how long after the accident. I'm not sure how anyone would believe he wasn't intoxicated. In the United States you can even be charged with a DWI if you blow under .08 if there's evidence that alcohol could have impaired your ability to drive. I'm not sure how anyone would give Heatley the benefit of the doubt here.....

And we all know the US Justice System famously treats DUIs very seriously. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Voight

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Err... We had a girl here wipe out and kill three kids getting off the bus while she was texting. Two years
One miscarriage of justice doesn't justify another. If that's a true story, then ,my stance would be that BOTH should have been punished more harshly, not that Heatley should be punished less harshly based on this random girl who killed 3 kids, or vice versa.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
One miscarriage of justice doesn't justify another. If that's a true story, then ,my stance would be that BOTH should have been punished more harshly, not that Heatley should be punished less harshly based on this random girl who killed 3 kids, or vice versa.

No.

... It just negates your bullshit claim that this is a "Celebrity" thing that doesn't happen to the everyday person.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
No.

... It just negates your bullshit claim that this is a "Celebrity" thing that doesn't happen to the everyday person.
No it doesn't at all. Your one anecdotal point doesn't nullify my experience, I've seen people get much worse punishment for much less than being responsible for ending a life.

Anyone who kills someone by reckless behavior should land in jail. I really don't think this is a hot take at all............ Sort of bizarre to me for this attitude to be challenged so strongly.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Are they still trying to somehow prove that Matt Petgrave actually intended to f*** up Adam Johnson?

I mean, there's always the possibility... I just don't get how you're ever going to prove that.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
No it doesn't at all. Your one anecdotal point doesn't nullify my experience, I've seen people get much worse punishment for much less than being responsible for ending a life.

Anyone who kills someone by reckless behavior should land in jail. I really don't think this is a hot take at all............ Sort of bizarre to me for this attitude to be challenged so strongly.

Sort of bizarre to me that you keep dropping laughing reactions to replies for a cause that you supposedly care so much about.

Kinda tells me you care more about arguing and standing on your soapbox than you do that people were actually victimized...

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

Unless someone really messed up, it would have been one of the first things they did at the hospital, especially since he wasn't critically injured. they know alcohol/drugs are a common factor in these crashes and they are going to test for it as soon as they can.

Your BAC drops only .015 every hour. So if he was at or around the legal limit (.08) at time of the crash, it would have taken 5+ hours for his bac to drop under .015.

Based on the facts and info that remain on the web about the incident, it's hard to say he was drunk.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Sort of bizarre to me that you keep dropping laughing reactions to replies for a cause that you supposedly care so much about.

Kinda tells me you care more about arguing and standing on your soapbox than you do that people were actually victimized...
The laugh reactions are because I find the counterpoints and mental gymnastics to defend a millionaire hockey player who recklessly killed his teammate and “friend” laughable.

It’s legitimately asinine to me an it’s hard for me to believe you’re even making these arguments in good faith, if I’m being honest here.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Dany Heatley was responsible for killing teammate Dan Snyder in a reckless accident in which he was under the influence of alcohol. He was sentenced to 3 years probation for homicide for killing the man with his reckless behavior.

The NHL and Atlanta Thrashers shamelessly supported him, and the victim's family apparently asked for him to not be imprisoned. (I don't know why in God's green earth that mattered).

Heatley disgustingly played 14 professional hockey seasons and earned over $50 million dollars in contract earnings after committing vehicular homicide on his former teammate.
Because mitigating factors are things courts use in determining punishment (along with plenty of inherent biases, not the least of which include positive biases towards those with money or a high likelihood of earning a lot of money in the future).

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Are they still trying to somehow prove that Matt Petgrave actually intended to f*** up Adam Johnson?

I mean, there's always the possibility... I just don't get how you're ever going to prove that.

First off, this and the Heatley thing aren't 'True Crime'.

As for Petgrave, as far as I know, the investigation is still 'open' but it's hard to see them bringing a case against him to me. They'd have to show some real intent on what he did.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I call the bullshit. The family can emotionally forgive him all they want, but their feelings shouldn't factor into justice at all. He recklessly murdered a teammate and got a tap on the wrist (not even a slap). A second chance is maybe like, him getting a normal job and getting to live amongst the public. Not him making 50 mil playing professional hockey.

Do you think that you or I would have gotten 3 years probation for committing vehicular homicide?

Feel free to add as much context to Danton trying to hire a contracted killer as you wish if you think my assessment is unfair to him.
Not understanding the law and the meaning of words makes it difficult for you to process the situation.

Last edited:

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Duncan Macpherson.

Junior player who played with the Saskatoon Blades and was drafted 20th overall by the Islanders. Was junior teammates with Joey Kocur, Wendel Clark, Kevin Korchinski’s late father Larry, Todd McLellan, Trent Yawney, and Lane Lambert.

In 1989, he went on a ski trip to the Alps in Austria, was never seen or heard from again.

In 2003, 14 years later, his body thawed from the snow and ice on very popular sking path, with his snowboard broken in half, his wallet, and rental car keys beside him. The body was cut into pieces and still perfectly preserved. An autopsy said he fell and died on that spot and his body just happened to break from years being underneath. Family didn’t believe this, had a 2nd autopsy done from a private contractor, and they found his body was cut up from heavy “rotating” machinery.

The night he disappeared, a man who worked at the resort as a snowcat driver was working that night pile pushing the snow (pushing snow then flattening it) and it is theorized he ran over Macpherson who was injured in the snow, reversed back when he felt something underneath, then continued forward up which caused his body to shred, while Macpherson was still alive. The driver then left the scene and left Maxpherson to die.

There so much more to this case. It’s really interesting.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
As a fan of both, I came across the story of Brian Spencer, who's best years were with Buffalo in the 80's. He was shot and killed in 1988 (while buying crack) and the case is still unsolved. Spencer was acquitted of kidnap and murder charges in 1982, although I have not found much on that case yet.

What other cases involve hockey players?
Did u read about how is father died?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The laugh reactions are because I find the counterpoints and mental gymnastics to defend a millionaire hockey player who recklessly killed his teammate and “friend” laughable.

It’s legitimately asinine to me an it’s hard for me to believe you’re even making these arguments in good faith, if I’m being honest here.

It's legitimately asinine to me that you continue to try to frame it as a murder like he deliberately shot Snyder in the head.

This is what happens when you argue based on emotion rather than logic.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
By the time he got tested it was below the limit, I don't know if I believe anyone truly thinks alcohol had no bearing on the actual accident. At the very least, he was driving recklessly. There's nothing libelous at all in anything I've said. He had alcohol in his system (to the point of intoxication in my opinion) and he recklessly caused an accident which killed his teammate.
In my opinion you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about

Thanks for taking this thread off the rails with your nonsensical, theatrical rants

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Unless someone really messed up, it would have been one of the first things they did at the hospital, especially since he wasn't critically injured. they know alcohol/drugs are a common factor in these crashes and they are going to test for it as soon as they can.

Your BAC drops only .015 every hour. So if he was at or around the legal limit (.08) at time of the crash, it would have taken 5+ hours for his bac to drop under .015.

Based on the facts and info that remain on the web about the incident, it's hard to say he was drunk.
As I said earlier, people can be convicted of DWI in the USA even when BAC is under .08, if their actions are deemed to have been a factor in their reckless behavior. I’m not sure how any adult who has drank alcohol could argue that impairment doesn’t take affect below .08.

If he was even around 0.06 at the time of the accident, and was tested a couple hours later it’s conceivable his BAC could have dropped to .015, even without considering his high metabolism as a pro athlete.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Depends. You've gotta get a warrant to draw his blood unless he's able to consent, which takes a little bit of time, but if he's in surgery that could delay it too. I don't really know the specifics of any of that in Heatley's case to say.

Even then, a good lawyer could argue his BAC dropped between the time of the crash and time of the blood draw. (IF there was enough time) But would they, if even the family isn't looking for imprisonment?

As I said earlier, people can be convicted of DWI in the USA even when BAC is under .08, if their actions are deemed to have been a factor in their reckless behavior. I’m not sure how any adult who has drank alcohol could argue that impairment doesn’t take affect below .08.

If he was even around 0.06 at the time of the accident, and was tested a couple hours later it’s conceivable his BAC could have dropped to .015, even without considering his high metabolism as a pro athlete.

That last bit signaled you're officially grasping at straws.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
It's legitimately asinine to me that you continue to try to frame it as a murder like he deliberately shot Snyder in the head.

This is what happens when you argue based on emotion rather than logic.
I edited my comment from “murder”.

I will concede, of course, that “murder” is not the right term to use, because it was not a willful or premeditated act. Anywhere I used the specific word “murder” should be amended to “committed reckless homicide”. I still think ending someone’s life recklessly should be punished by jail time.

That last bit signaled you're officially grasping at straws.
And you can’t understand why I’m laughing at your comments? Even when your statements toward @Filthy Dangles seem to line up pretty closely with mine in terms of his BAC.

Ace36758

Feb 15, 2007
Calgary
Not NHL related, but one of the more fascinating documentaries I’ve watched is about the Danbury Trashers (UHL) team in Danbury, Connecticut. I think it’s on Netflix.

The owner, James Gallante, was a garbage disposal mogul and allegedly connected to organized crime. He appointed his 17(!) year old son as GM to run the team. They built a team of brawlers and set a league record for penalty minutes, actually doing quite well in their two seasons. Mike Rupp and Brent Gretzky were recruited to play on the team.

However, Gallante was charged with racketeering after their second season and the team folded.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
And you can’t understand why I’m laughing at your comments? Even when your statements toward @Filthy Dangles seem to line up pretty closely with mine in terms of his BAC.

You're in here bullshitting about how Heatley had to be drunk and his metabolism as a pro athlete could be the reason he was barely even registering a BAC lmao.

I don't give a shit about the fact that you're laughing at my posts. The ridiculousness of your arguments nullified your opinion. I simply pointed out your laughing as evidence that you don't really give a shit about these people, you're just feigning rage to stand up on your soap box and feel righteous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad