True Crime and Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Duncan Macpherson.

Junior player who played with the Saskatoon Blades and was drafted 20th overall by the Islanders. Was junior teammates with Joey Kocur, Wendel Clark, Kevin Korchinski’s late father Larry, Todd McLellan, Trent Yawney, and Lane Lambert.

In 1989, he went on a ski trip to the Alps in Austria, was never seen or heard from again.

In 2003, 14 years later, his body thawed from the snow and ice on very popular sking path, with his snowboard broken in half, his wallet, and rental car keys beside him. The body was cut into pieces and still perfectly preserved. An autopsy said he fell and died on that spot and his body just happened to break from years being underneath. Family didn’t believe this, had a 2nd autopsy done from a private contractor, and they found his body was cut up from heavy “rotating” machinery.

The night he disappeared, a man who worked at the resort as a snowcat driver was working that night pile pushing the snow (pushing snow then flattening it) and it is theorized he ran over Macpherson who was injured in the snow, reversed back when he felt something underneath, then continued forward up which caused his body to shred, while Macpherson was still alive. The driver then left the scene and left Maxpherson to die.

There so much more to this case. It’s really interesting.

Dear God, what an awful way to go. Being cutup while still alive is a nightmare death

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a fan of both, I came across the story of Brian Spencer, who's best years were with Buffalo in the 80's. He was shot and killed in 1988 (while buying crack) and the case is still unsolved. Spencer was acquitted of kidnap and murder charges in 1982, although I have not found much on that case yet.

What other cases involve hockey players?
Spencer was in out of hockey by 1980. Not only did he die, his father went to a CBC station with a weapon to demand they show his son's debut. He died too.

Don Edwards' parents were brutally murdered and the murderer is not only paroled but violated parole on the first day out after 33 years inside:

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Depends. You've gotta get a warrant to draw his blood unless he's able to consent, which takes a little bit of time, but if he's in surgery that could delay it too. I don't really know the specifics of any of that in Heatley's case to say.

Even then, a good lawyer could argue his BAC dropped between the time of the crash and time of the blood draw. (IF there was enough time) But would they, if even the family isn't looking for imprisonment?

That last bit signaled you're officially grasping at straws.

It seems silly to argue about and derail further. This isn't even an example of true crime. But the DA themselves said alcohol was not a factor following the test

Reactions: DaveG

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
It seems silly to argue about and derail further. This isn't even an example of true crime. But the DA themselves said alcohol was not a factor following the test

Weird considering I wasn't arguing. Merely pointing out that there are situations where it could take awhile to draw blood.

I even acknowledged that I wasn't aware of the details of that case and whether they'd have taken that long lol.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No it doesn't at all. Your one anecdotal point doesn't nullify my experience, I've seen people get much worse punishment for much less than being responsible for ending a life.

Anyone who kills someone by reckless behavior should land in jail. I really don't think this is a hot take at all............ Sort of bizarre to me for this attitude to be challenged so strongly.
Because life isn't black and white. It's always shades of grey, and the shades of grey are all the context that people on the internet don't like to talk about when they go on their crusades of justice and morality.

"Your anecdote is wrong and mine is right"

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
How have we made it three pages without mentioning Riley "Tinky Winky" Sheahan?!

Sheahan.jpg

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
You're in here bullshitting about how Heatley had to be drunk and his metabolism as a pro athlete could be the reason he was barely even registering a BAC lmao.

I don't give a shit about the fact that you're laughing at my posts. The ridiculousness of your arguments nullified your opinion. I simply pointed out your laughing as evidence that you don't really give a shit about these people, you're just feigning rage to stand up on your soap box and feel righteous.
I literally said his metabolism doesnt even play a factor, when you consider the entire scope of the issue. If you think his alcohol intake had nothing to do with his reckless behavior then I’ve got oceanfront property in Phoenix for sale.

“Feigning rage” is not something i can recall ever being accused of. if you think that me laughing at what I consider bizarre attempts to discredit me and/or defend Heatley committing reckless vehicular homicide means I don’t give a shit about the victims (while I’m arguing for justice FOR the victims) then I guess that just means you don’t know me or understand my points.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
Because life isn't black and white. It's always shades of grey, and the shades of grey are all the context that people on the internet don't like to talk about when they go on their crusades of justice and morality.

"Your anecdote is wrong and mine is right"
I didn't say "mine is right and yours is wrong", i said quite the opposite.

I guess I just never knew that the opinion "recklessly ending the life of another person should result in severe punishment" was such a controversial take..............

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Voynov was the first name that came to me thinking about this. It's interesting that he legally basically all but got away because as often is the case the wife changed her story after the fact. I'm sure he had some convincing arguments.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I literally said his metabolism doesnt even play a factor, when you consider the entire scope of the issue. If you think his alcohol intake had nothing to do with his reckless behavior then I’ve got oceanfront property in Phoenix for sale.

“Feigning rage” is not something i can recall ever being accused of. if you think that me laughing at what I consider bizarre attempts to discredit me and/or defend Heatley committing reckless vehicular homicide means I don’t give a shit about the victims (while I’m arguing for justice FOR the victims) then I guess that just means you don’t know me or understand my points.

I discredit you because your argument has gone from "He MURDERED Snyder" to bringing up his metabolism as a pro athlete. :laugh:

You can get off your soap box.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Voynov was the first name that came to me thinking about this. It's interesting that he legally basically all but got away because as often is the case the wife changed her story after the fact. I'm sure he had some convincing arguments.

As you mentioned, not all that uncommon with domestic incidents. Especially when the abuser has money.

What blows my mind is how everybody just kinda forgot that Nichushkin had a Ukrainian woman suspected of being sexually trafficked in his hotel room, and she was so f***ed up that she had to be hospitalized.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

You can't honestly say that you're arguing for justice FOR the victims when the families of the actual victims themselves don't want the kind of justice you are advocating.

Just as with the Ramage vehicular homicide incident, the family of the victim (who was a friend and driving in the same car) was not interested in jail time for the perpetrator and petitioned the judge for leniency.

You can argue that you want a consistent standard of punishment across the legal system, or believe in the deterrent effect of harsher sentences, but you aren't advocating on behalf of the victims for justice if you are deliberately ignoring the wishes of those closest to the victims.

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
I discredit you because your argument has gone from "He MURDERED Snyder" to bringing up his metabolism as a pro athlete. :laugh:

You can get off your soap box.
I never said "murder" in my first comment and have conceded that Murder is not the right term, anytime I've said the specific term "murder" was not correct. "Reckless Homicide" is the term that should be used. And I literally said that EVEN WITHOUT CONSIDERING ANYTHING RELATED TO METABOLISM it's still pretty reasonable that he was intoxicated. I didn't use that in any way to form any argument.

It's pretty apparent your goal in responding to me is not to understand, but to argue. In your responses to other people your statements line up pretty closely with the things that I've said, but for some reason when responding directly to me you seem to have a lot of vitriol. You're looking for a "gotcha", but it seems like you actually agree with me on most points.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I never said "murder" in my first comment and have conceded that Murder is not the right term, anytime I've said the specific term "murder" was not correct. "Reckless Homicide" is the term that should be used. And I literally said that EVEN WITHOUT CONSIDERING ANYTHING RELATED TO METABOLISM it's still pretty reasonable that he was intoxicated. I didn't use that in any way to form any argument.

It's pretty apparent your goal in responding to me is not to understand, but to argue. In your responses to other people your statements line up pretty closely with the things that I've said, but for some reason when responding directly to me you seem to have a lot of vitriol. You're looking for a "gotcha", but it seems like you actually agree with me on most points.

Thank you for admitting that your argument was all the way at the extreme of "Murder" at one point? :laugh:

Bruh, you're literally the only person that introduced metabolism as anything to do with any of this and then want to claim "Well I said even without considering it." If you're not considering it why the f*** did you bring it up?!

Rodgerwilco

Feb 6, 2014
You can't honestly say that you're arguing for justice FOR the victims when the families of the actual victims themselves don't want the kind of justice you are advocating.

Just as with the Ramage vehicular homicide incident, the family of the victim (who was a friend and driving in the same car) was not interested in jail time for the perpetrator.

You can argue that you want a consistent standard of punishment across the legal system, or believe in the deterrent effect of harsher sentences, but you aren't advocating on behalf of the victims for justice if you are deliberately ignoring their wishes.
Even this case aside, I don't think that a family saying "well we think he feels really bad, so he shouldn't face punishment" should excuse a person from legal consequences. Playing professional sports should be a privilege, and I don't think someone who recklessly ends another's life should go on to earn over 50 million dollars playing professional hockey. Just my opinion, i never knew how hot of a take this was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad