True Crime and Hockey

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I got an underage drinking citation a month before I turned 21. I agreed to a breathalyzer because I had stopped drinking hours before, had gone to the diner, felt pretty much sober. I ended up blowing a 0.19 so I don’t think alcohol metabolizes out of your system as quickly as you think it does.
I hope you got the number wrong, 0.19 is quite drunk, and 2 1/2 times legal limit.
0.19 you’re car would of been towed.
Underage at 21 seems weird, compared to 18, is it still 21 there?

Last edited:
Reactions: Konnan511

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Seriously. What Danton did wasn't right (attempting to hire a hitman), but the intended victim wasn't some innocent who never harmed anyone a day in their life. Frost was a piece of human scum as well.
What were the allegations against Frost? Never fully understood that

Talk about bullshit. Ryan O'Reilly got nothing for killing a Tim Horton's.
Lawyer was able to successfully employ the Shaggy defense

“It wasn’t me”

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I got an underage drinking citation a month before I turned 21. I agreed to a breathalyzer because I had stopped drinking hours before, had gone to the diner, felt pretty much sober. I ended up blowing a 0.19 so I don’t think alcohol metabolizes out of your system as quickly as you think it does.
I highly doubt it was 0.19.

Reactions: Konnan511

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I call the bullshit. The family can emotionally forgive him all they want, but their feelings shouldn't factor into justice at all. He recklessly murdered a teammate and got a tap on the wrist (not even a slap). A second chance is maybe like, him getting a normal job and getting to live amongst the public. Not him making 50 mil playing professional hockey.
Thankfully your viewpoint also doesn't factor into justice here.

Do you think that you or I would have gotten 3 years probation for committing vehicular homicide?
Um not sure what jurisdiction you live in but people regularly get very light sentences for vehicular homicide.

Feel free to add as much context to Danton trying to hire a contracted killer as you wish if you think my assessment is unfair to him.
Some people see the world as black and white but most of the world and justice systems in developed countries can and do understand nuance and context.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Um not sure what jurisdiction you live in but people regularly get very light sentences for vehicular homicide.
I know someone that served 8 months, sentence was longer, but good behaviour got out early like most sentences.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mrs_NyQuil was telling me about a class at law school where they had a breathalyzer and they attempted to blow over the limit.

The limit is very high where there is no ambiguity about being intoxicated.

She said she was surprised at how much she had to drink to blow over and how obviously drunk she was.

Reactions: DaveG

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Mrs_NyQuil was telling me about a class at law school where they had a breathalyzer and they attempted to blow over the limit.

She said she was surprised at how much she had to drink to blow over and how obviously drunk she was.
3 beers will put you over 0.08, then every hour burn off a beer.
Body size also affects number

JPT

Jul 4, 2024

I did something similar on college, but instead of it being a class it was at a bar and instead of us trying to see what it took to get to 0.08 we all tried to see how much over 0.08 we ended up getting by last call.

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG and NyQuil

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The Canadian beer is stronger thing is a bit of a myth where Canada measured alcohol by volume while the US (some states still do) measured alcohol by weight.
It’s weak, there is no myth, you get bloated before drunk

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s weak, there is no myth.

First off, the US was into craft beer at least a decade or more before it really took off in Canada.

So the high alcohol styles of beer were more pervasive there earlier than here.

But that aside, even looking at major brands, it was the way they calculated the percentage listed on the bottle/can that made people think it was weaker.

The Abv (alcohol by volume) percentage is always higher than the Abw (alcohol by weight) percentage.

ABV = ABW x density of beverage/density of alcohol

For example, the alcohol percentage by weight is about 4/5 of the alc/vol (e.g., 3.2% ABW is about 4% ABV). So it looks like it's weaker when in fact it's the same, just measured differently.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Thankfully your viewpoint also doesn't factor into justice here.

Some people see the world as black and white but most of the world and justice systems in developed countries can and do understand nuance and context.
Well I guess we all have our own opinions of what the punishment for recklessly ending another person's life should be.

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Well I guess we all have our own opinions of what the punishment for recklessly ending another person's life should be.
I think the main issue people are taking with your opinion is that you are reaching it through an incorrect assumption that he was legally impaired and you are ignoring or downplaying the mitigating context while highlighting (and sometimes incorrectly stating) the aggravating factors.

I’m referring to domestic beer, it’s weaker,
So was I

Reactions: wetcoast

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
How many hours were there between the accident and blood alcohol testing?

The liver does most/nearly all of the heavy lifting on metabolism of alcohol. Being an athlete is inconsequential. It might even be a detriment if he drank really often due to being a pro athlete.
Can't find any specific information on that. He was pretty badly injured in the accident, so getting treatment would have taken some time before testing, having a lawyer would probably delay the testing further.

On average BAC decreases between 0.015 to 0.02 per hour. He was tested around 0.015 at the time of the accident, so even 1 hour delay would put him at .03 to .035. As I said before, people can be found to be driving under the influence even if they are not at .08, if they're found to have been impaired at the time. I think given his speed, admission of drinking, and impact of the crash I am not willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't at least somewhat impaired.

I think the main issue people are taking with your opinion is that you are reaching it through an incorrect assumption that he was legally impaired and you are ignoring or downplaying the mitigating context while highlighting (and sometimes incorrectly stating) the aggravating factors.
If that's peoples' take on my statement then that's fine with me. I'm not sure I've done any of that, but everyone is free to their own interpretation... Even if he wasn't at .08, I am not willing to give the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't impaired to some point given the outcome of the situation. The guy giving me the most grief admittedly wasn't even reading my comments before firing away at me, so I'm not losing sleep over that one lol. Mostly everyone else has been pretty reasonable and I can accept that.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Another disgusting example of hockey teams not giving two shits about a person's character and signing him to try to win a few more games. Hell they made this guy their captain!

I love that the wiki says he "used life saving skills he learned in prison" to save a teammate, when we now know that there is no benefit from "holding a person's tongue" while having a seizure, and actually is not advised whatsoever these days.
I see it's a Swedish team that took him in...well...that county has some of the most well-endowed creature comforts in prison. I know he didn't go to Swedish jail, but they sure are all in on light punishment.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don’t get why you’re responding if you’re not reading what you’re responding to. Your vitriol toward me is confusing.

I’ll respond to those others in time, I’m not going to try to have 4 conversations all at once.

I don't get why you're still responding when your comments have been exposed as bullshit and you don't have actual facts to prove that Heatley was indeed drunk at the time of the crash lmao.

Go back to arguing that it's because of his metabolism.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I see it's a Swedish team that took him in...well...that county has some of the most well-endowed creature comforts in prison. I know he didn't go to Swedish jail, but they sure are all in on light punishment.
Again it depends on what the purpose of prison is.

Norway and Sweden take a lot of flack for how “cozy” their prisons are but they also have the lowest rates of re-offending when prisoners are released.

Meanwhile, the US prison system just hardens criminals more. If you have a for-profit prison system, like in Texas, it’s not a bad side benefit because they end back up in jail to keep those cash cows flush.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad