Sportsnet: Trouba requests trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
I really just don't see a deal here with the Leafs. I wouldn't trade Nylander or Marner for him.
JVR or Gardiner for him, yes. But I don't think that would suffice.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Maybe not 5 months but Chevy's asking price will definitely cause this to be drawn out longer than it should take and rightly so. All Chevy has to do is take a look back at how Yzerman and Snow approached the Drouin and Hamonic situation and know that the best option is to sit back and wait till the right off comes across the table or Trouba reconsiders his decision. No reason to let himself be forced to sell low on Trouba.

Is this really a fair comparison? Hamonic did not take his demand public, it leaked. He also agreed to continue to play. There was no contention between the two. Drouin is even less comparable. Drouin was still on his ELC, was under contract for 2 more seasons, and was actively breaking it. He had no leverage at all.

Trouba is completely different. He's an RFA and not under contract. While the Jets hold his rights, he's not without leverage since he can choose to sign with a trade destination or not. The NHLPA are also far more likely to get involved in this situation if it drags on too long. While I agree that Chevy has the upper hand right now and can wait it out, its not like those two situations. Chevy has to be careful here for a variety of reasons. Winnipeg is not a desirable location as it is.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Maybe not 5 months but Chevy's asking price will definitely cause this to be drawn out longer than it should take and rightly so. All Chevy has to do is take a look back at how Yzerman and Snow approached the Drouin and Hamonic situation and know that the best option is to sit back and wait till the right off comes across the table or Trouba reconsiders his decision. No reason to let himself be forced to sell low on Trouba.

These arent comparable situations. Hamonic and Drouin were under contract and still eligible to play somewhere.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Maybe not 5 months but Chevy's asking price will definitely cause this to be drawn out longer than it should take and rightly so. All Chevy has to do is take a look back at how Yzerman and Snow approached the Drouin and Hamonic situation and know that the best option is to sit back and wait till the right offer comes across the table or Trouba reconsiders his decision. No reason to let himself be forced to sell low on Trouba.

Varying situations Drouin was a young player who just wanted an opportunity to play in the NHL, while things did get a bit sketchy for a while once he got the opportunity to play and play in an offensive role all was forgiven. Hamonic actually legitimately loved playing for the Isles and he cared for his teammates (not just lip service), it was only a family issue presumably health related that made his request to be closer to home a thing, the "situation" back home improved and the issue was effectively resolved, he also was upfront that he'd be patient with regards to his trade request and would continue to play.

The question is will this issue resolve itself? Well the fix seems simple enough if the official story is to be believed play him on the right side in the top 4 either by forcing Myers or Buff onto their off-side or trading one of those two instead of Trouba. Though as an organization I'm not sure they want to set that kind of precedent of having a 22 year old d-man dictate to the organization and coaching staff in how he is to be utilized and deployed. If the Jets were willing to cave to his demands in how he would be deployed you'd figure the coach would of already talked to him and made assurances and they'd be discussing contract terms right now, if they were looking to trade someone else instead of Trouba the organization would of likely communicated that to the agent so he doesn't air their grievance publicly, Myers just got healthy enough to reasonably be floated out as a trade candidate. It seems that the course of action will be to actually trade Trouba and given Overhardt's record with these kind of situations he tends to get his way.

Chevy can be patient to see if a better offer comes, but there is a point in the season where suitors will look to the fact that he hasn't been playing as a detriment and will hurt his trade value and also the December date that would block him from playing in the current NHL season is also an important one to monitor. There is plenty of interest in Trouba and the Jets will get a good return, but I'm not sure that there will be much benefit in intentionally trying to drag it out.

North

Jun 25, 2009
These arent comparable situations. Hamonic and Drouin were under contract and still eligible to play somewhere.

And? Trouba is still the Jets asset.

They aren't going to trade him for pennies.

If he wants to sit, he can sit until the situation is resolved.

The Jets aren't over a barrel. Ideally you want Trouba on the ice, but he's made it clear the only way he wants to be a top four are on his terms, so he can wait until an opportunity presents itself.

It seems Trouba's camp made this public now because he doesn't want to miss any time. Too bad. It takes however long it takes to find a deal Chevy likes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I really just don't see a deal here with the Leafs. I wouldn't trade Nylander or Marner for him.
JVR or Gardiner for him, yes. But I don't think that would suffice.

I haven't looked through all 30 pages, but JVR or Gardiner are among the best offers I've seen for Trouba thus far. Obviously JVR doesn't fill a need, but he is still really valuable and can flipped elsewhere to fill a need.

Additional tinkering will probably be required, but giving up JVR or Gardiner is probably already pushing the Leafs limits in terms of what they'd give up for Trouba. Much beyond that and we'd probably bow out. Whoever is willing to beat that is probably overpaying too much.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
And? Trouba is still the Jets asset.

They aren't going to trade him for pennies.

If he wants to sit, he can sit until the situation is resolved.

The Jets aren't over a barrel. Ideally you want Trouba on the ice, but he's made it clear the only way he wants to be a top four are on his terms, so he can wait until an opportunity presents itself.

It seems Trouba's camp made this public now because he doesn't want to miss any time. Too bad. It takes however long it takes to find a deal Chevy likes.

Not entirely true. If he doesn't do something before the December deadline, he may as well give it up until the draft or so. No one is going to trade valuable assets in the middle of a season for a player that's not eligible to join the team until next year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
MTL trades:

Beaulieu, Redmond and a second rounder for Trouba

Don't think this is enough but man would I be thrilled if a deal like this was swung. Have to think we'd be adding more than Redmond and a 2nd for Trouba, but not sure what WPG really needs (surely not depth goaltending, and they are deep up front...so D prospects?) Not sure if we are the best trading partners tbh...but would love if we could get there someday!

I realize Trouba has stagnated over the past season+, but he has 1st pairing potential, and there are not many guys who can step into the west as 19-21 year old D-men and contribute in any meaningful way

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
We like Nino fine, and Granlund is switching to wing. Tuch is looking good in camp. Zucker need to come back this year. A one dimensional winger like JVR is not a need, especially for Brodin +.

Please don't tell us what we need. WPG and TO can get a room together and make a trade . Include MN out. We have a better #1 RD in Spurgeon.

None of those players are close to being as good as JVR is. It's ridiculous to say that Minny doesn't need him when the leading scorer had 56 pts.

Why are you even saying "we"? You're a fan, not the GM or even in anyway part of the organization. It's all fair to talk about the team etc. on here but don't act like you are the organization.

Also JVR is one dimensional? Have you seen him play? He's one of the best players around the net and can set up a lot of plays behind the net and he holds his own on defense. He would instantly become you're 3rd best forward behind Parise and Koivu.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Don't think this is enough but man would I be thrilled if a deal like this was swung. Have to think we'd be adding more than Redmond and a 2nd for Trouba, but not sure what WPG really needs (surely not depth goaltending, and they are deep up front...so D prospects?) Not sure if we are the best trading partners tbh...but would love if we could get there someday!

I realize Trouba has stagnated over the past season+, but he has 1st pairing potential, and there are not many guys who can step into the west as 19-21 year old D-men and contribute in any meaningful way

There is no way Mtl looks at Trouba.
He wants to play right. Habs have the newly acquired Weber and Petry who has a full NMC at right.
Who are they going to move out for Trouba?

Depending on where they see themselves in the rebuild, I could see the Leafs taking a swing, but I don't think they'd go all in and pay big for him.

Best fit, really is NYI. At least it was when Hamonic wanted to be traded closer to his home. Now, if Hamonic still wants to go or if the NYI feel he might want out, I could see it.

Arizona has the cap space, and could definitely use the help on D.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
There is no way Mtl looks at Trouba.
He wants to play right. Habs have the newly acquired Weber and Petry who has a full NMC at right.
Who are they going to move out for Trouba?

I think it would be beyond silly to simply not look at a player with the potential that Trouba has just because we have two other contributors on the right. I don't think too highly of Bergevin but I suspect he feels the same way because there are no other 22 year old NHL veteran defensemen, with top pairing potential, who are ever available on the market.

If you can find value in the market, the trigger needs to be pulled and the roster adjusted accordingly. You are selling the organization short as a GM by passing up on elite talents just because your roster (who missed the playoffs and were borderline lottery bound last year) is presumptuously 'set' on the right.

This scenario also presumes that injuries don't happen in hockey, when in reality one of Weber or Petry (who missed 30 games last year) could full well have any number of things happen to them and miss significant time. I never understand the arg. that x team is too deep to add a sublime talent. If a player is better than 50+% of your roster, you should probably consider the value his presence brings to the table

Anyway..

As I mentioned, I don't see us being good trading partners and, as you have implied, this scenario is unfortunately a pipe dream at the best of times for us Habs fans :(

TheGreat

Dec 5, 2012
Until a Trade happens , not much to see because he's a RFA

Although I would love him in Toronto with our young guys

But I Doubt a trade will happen at all

Oct 18, 2011
I think there could be a 3 way deal to be made with these teams, but I don't think Trouba would be the one in this deal without a +.

I was thinking

To wpg: Theodore + Ana 3rd

To Toronto: Trouba

To Ana: JVR

this sure helps anaheim to sign rakell and lindholm

anaheim is not trading theodore

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Jets fans love those two players so be prepared to be roasted if its not happen already

And justifiably so. How is that good value for the Jets? Bishop will be an unrestricted free agent after 1 year, Sustr is a RHS dman that would be third pairing, the Jets give up the much better pick AND a top prospect.

Easy no.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Jets fans love those two players so be prepared to be roasted if its not happen already

Haha how did I miss that post. I wouldn't move Trouba or Connor alone for that horrible package and he's thinks it's worth Trouba, Connor and a first? Wow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad