Sportsnet: Trouba requests trade

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Yeah, there it is then. Figured that was more likely the holdup than just the money. Tough for Trouba to really get the opportunity he wants and is capable of taking on, with Buff and Myers both already there as RHD for the foreseeable future.

As terrific a player with tons of upside as Trouba is, that's gonna be an awfully tough trade to make. To find the sort of value that makes it work for the Jets, working from a disadvantaged position with the player publicly wanting out (he's probably been wanting out for a while now quietly). And to have to do it at this odd late stage of the offseason...

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
The one thing I keep seeing from most Jets fans is the words fair trade. I just
Don't see that happening. Yea they can just not move him and have him sitting at home but what good does that do the organization. That is horrible asset management, especially when we're talking an asset of this caliber.

There will be teams lining up for Trouba but everyone of them now know the circumstances and that alone will lower the return. The jets just won't get fair market value for him, they also won't get trash for him either. But I feel they will get less then what he would be worth had this statement from Trouba's agent never came out.

Also can we stop with the he hates Canada nonsense. There is absolutely nothing to support this line of thinking. The reasons he has already given are very valid if you ask me. The kid is an up and coming RHD, one of the most coveted positions in the game. His current team isn't going to be a good fit going forward so he is exercising his right as an RFA not to sign.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
Threads like this (and Drouin's, and Nuke's, etc.) it's easy to spot those that are in unskilled/subservient fields and those that are in skilled/autonomous fields.

LOL @ "entitled". Anyone with who is moderately skilled and in demand will balk at wasting YEARS in an environment where they are unhappy (whether it is cold, boring, or harmful to their career) and/or feel that they are being held back.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ya. Buff. Myers. Enstrom. Morrissey. Yup. Jokes on jet fans for sure. It wouldn't be on the entitled 22 yr old who thinks he can tell an nhl team to do as he says

What does this have to do with losing an asset for nothing ? Thats like Oiler fans saying Hall trade was in our favour because of . RNH , McDavid , Draisaitl , Lucic , Eberle , Puljujarvi and Yak . It has nothing to do with the players you have . No teams wants to lose a good player for nothing

As for a 22 year old with a sense entitlement . I would not play a position I wasn't drafted for . If you are a doctor and signed a contract at a big hospital in the USA and went there and they passed you a mop and told you you be the janitor as we are deep with doctor right now you would tell them where to go even if you are being paid the same

North

Jun 25, 2009
As an Oiler fan he is worth more then Nurse and a mid first . If you think that 1st is going be top 5 an argument can be made

I agree, but chances are those are the types of offers the Jets are going to get and the poster I was replying to implied that Trouba wasn't worth Nurse.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
If I had to be saddled with the anchor that is Stuart for several years, I'd probably explore all my options too.

Jets continue to ice Stuart despite his horrible numbers, which would probably be far worse if not paired with Trouba.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I just hope that the fans that resort to bad mouthing the city, the team and/or its fans get to experience one of their favourite team RFA'S demand a trade...and then have to put up with all the **** talk.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I guess you never watch Nurse for all his games last year . While he not on Trouba level today he has the potential to be right up there . He was in over his head last year but he was good for about 20 games until he got moved up in the line up . Look at Nurse development curve . He improved every year since his drafting . I expect in will take another leap forward . I see Nurse as a top 4 D in the next year with potential to be more .

You got Jets fans saying let him sit for a year . Do you think this is going to help his value ? It will hurt his development and decrease his value more . His agent is also a known ass to deal with and it is a head ache a GM just doesn't need . This will also lower his value . But hey another team will hand over a = D signed to a good contract with out having to deal with an ass of an agent .

If that what you think you live in a world of sunny skies and rainbows with a pot of gold at the end of each one .

The Joke will be on Jets fans and their GM if he signs oversea and gets a career ending injury

Nurse was awful in the NHL last year. He was truly sub-replacement level. That isn't to say that he doesn't have potential, but sitting on your high horse is really not doing you a lot of good since those who watched Nurse probably think less of him than those who didn't.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
So you're basically saying Rielly is the same level as Trouba? That's just completely false. If North Americas best defenceman was a high end #3, boy that team had some good #3 and #4s on their team then

Team Canada could've taken Roman Polak and the would still win the tournament and every game. Rielly's insanely good offensively (not shown in his #'s because of team role) which him looks great on ice. Plus, team NA always had possession of the puck so he didn't have to work on the puck retrieval side.

Trouba is just as good as Rielly right now. If Trouba was put on the top pairing, I'd bet he would look amazing too.

Btw, I think Parayko was the best in that D-group.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Wonder what that trade package look like, Chychrun +?

Coyotes fans think a deal like Stone, 1st, Perlini. Or Stone and Rieder. The Coyotes would need to move cap to be able to sign Trouba and Stone makes the most sense.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Nurse was awful in the NHL last year. He was truly sub-replacement level. That isn't to say that he doesn't have potential, but sitting on your high horse is really not doing you a lot of good since those who watched Nurse probably think less of him than those who didn't.
No he was a rookie with high moments and low moments. He is a elite skater who will only trend upwards and anyone who does not see this does not know hockey at all..

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Trouba is a great young D man with potential.

The problem is he wants to be paid on his potential now, which hurts his value big time.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
There are valid reasons to demand a trade, "it's cold" is not one of them I don't care if you are a player, or a players wife if your reason for wanting out is it's cold shut up quit whining and enjoy the millions you make to play a sport and if you are a players wife, enjoy the fact you literally don't need to lift a finger you have enough money to hire someone to do EVERYTHING for you

And you can't handle a little cold.

Stop being a *****

Let's be honest though, "little cold" isn't how I'd describe Canadian winters. :laugh:

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Let's be honest though, "little cold" isn't how I'd describe Canadian winters. :laugh:

So how would you describe Canadian Winters?

Keeping in mind Canada is a large area stretching from the frozen Arctic to the southernmost region than is more south than the Northern tip of California.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
What a thread. You got oiler fans offering crap. Leaf fans who a month ago were crapping all over trouba making fantasy land proposals. Bottom line here.... you can replace winnipeg with any Canadian city here... he doesn't want to play in Canada. Oilers. Leafs. It ain't happening. It's not about Winnipeg. It's about wanting to play in the USA.

Seriously the teams I've heard who have been interested for a while are Colorado Detroit and Arizona and even Boston. He's not going to be traded to another Canadian team and he will only be traded when a team makes an offer that the Jets like. 22 yr old entitled rfa with a ****** agent. Yup. Jets better move him fast otherwise wait... otherwise he sits on his ass in Michigan and Rots pretty much. The day some 22 yr old and his agent dictate where he can or can't be traded to is the day hockey dies. He's a rfa. His options are limited. Jets will only trade him when they get what they want in return.

Has he actually said that? Because it very well could be just Winnipeg. Lets take off the homer glasses here. I'm from Winnipeg and have lived there for over 20 years. Last year I moved to Colorado, and this year I'm in Toronto. The difference is night and day between those places and Winnipeg. I know I certainly don't want to move back.

Is it likely an American player doesn't want to play in Canada? Sure. But I'd wager he'd be more willing to sign a contract with a team like Toronto or Vancouver.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
What a thread. You got oiler fans offering crap. Leaf fans who a month ago were crapping all over trouba making fantasy land proposals. Bottom line here.... you can replace winnipeg with any Canadian city here... he doesn't want to play in Canada. Oilers. Leafs. It ain't happening. It's not about Winnipeg. It's about wanting to play in the USA.

Seriously the teams I've heard who have been interested for a while are Colorado Detroit and Arizona and even Boston. He's not going to be traded to another Canadian team and he will only be traded when a team makes an offer that the Jets like. 22 yr old entitled rfa with a ****** agent. Yup. Jets better move him fast otherwise wait... otherwise he sits on his ass in Michigan and Rots pretty much. The day some 22 yr old and his agent dictate where he can or can't be traded to is the day hockey dies. He's a rfa. His options are limited. Jets will only trade him when they get what they want in return.

Could you send me the link where he says he doesn't want to play in Canada?

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Hamilton requested a trade. Bruins got 1st,2nd and 3rd in deep draft.

Trouba should get similar value... except he's a Rhd which is a hot commodity.
1st,2nd, b level prospect

I would do 1st,2nd,McQuaid/Miller ( to clear spots), choose of Lauzon,Carlo,C.MILLER,Zboril

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Bah. As a former Yukoner, you southern Canadians need to realize what an actual cold winter is like. :p

A few thoughts as a die-hard Jets fan:

1. There's some reason to doubt the reason being presented. No, wanting to play RHD isn't a complete fiction, but it may not be the only factor here. Trouba had the third highest ice time amongst Jets defencemen, and certainly had the ability to surpass Meyers and Byfuglien on the depth chart in the next few years. A "I want to play in a big US market" may have also be a factor. We may never know.

2. This calling out of other fan bases is just strange. Yes, I thought based on what I knew the Jets and Trouba would reach a long-term deal, and Overhardt was just playing hardball. But I'm no insider. I read the tea leaves and made my guesses as best I could. I hardly feel like there's egg on my face.

3. I wonder how much this reduces Trouba's trade value. I suspect there's an element of "I don't want to deal with one of Overhardt's clients" at work. But I really don't know.

4. The odds of a big trade being made now seem small. Trouba's cap hit will not be insignificant when he signs. Most teams have their cap situation pretty well planned at this point. A big trade like for Trouba would have more likely happened in July.

5. Reading through this entire thread makes me chuckle. So many proposals of "highly touted player we can't wait to get rid of" + whatever future considerations. But fans will be fans. I mean no criticism of the many ridiculous proposals.

6. Trouba is not going to start the season with the Jets. This much is clear. I think (and could be wrong) that the pressure for the playoffs is lesser this year - the Jets are making a decided youth movement, plus the upcoming Heritage Classic will mollify fans.

7. My guess (and I have no crystal ball) is Trouba signs mid November to a bridge deal. He really has little leverage in this situation. But we'll see what happens.

8. Cheveldayoff impressed with the return he got for Kane. If I'm wrong about the bridge deal it's because Chevy pulls off a fantastic trade.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I like Nurse, he and Buff could be dynamic. But trading with the Oilers is unlikely, we are giving up the better player to a team we may be battling with for a playoff spot. I also don't think Nurse is going to be a top unit PKer, which is the role we need to replace Trouba in.

I was touting Ryan Murray but that seems unlikely.

I wonder if the Canes would dance with us.

They need to make the playoffs this year, for the sake of their franchise.

I would take Haydn Fleury, he is big and physical, team Canada, probably a development year away from being a top PKer.

Leaves us with Enstrom-Buff, Morrissey-Myers, Stuart/Chiarot-Postma. We probably still need another PKer, which we can obtain through trading a surplus forward. Or waivers, TC cuts (hello Adam Pardy).

Such a trade would come closer to balancing payrolls of 2 of the smallest markets in the NHL.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Why am I not surprised to read so many crap offers from our armchair GMs?

McKenzie is reporting a long line of teams showing interest. So enough with the nonsense x that his trade demand means he will be had for scraps. Kind of like Drouin and Hamonic were traded for spare parts?:sarcasm:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

So how would you describe Canadian Winters?

Keeping in mind Canada is a large area stretching from the frozen Arctic to the southernmost region than is more south than the Northern tip of California.

I've lived my entire life in Canada, and went 19 years without experiencing a "true" Canadian winter. So yeah... it's kind of hard to make a blanket statement like that. Then again, this is clearly just an offhand comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad