Proposal: Trouba all encompassing trade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
and Jets don't need to accept anything less than asking price

Don't need to, but if they want to not have a good player sitting at home, then they might opt to.

Option 1 - Trouba sits at home until traded. Likely, the longer the Jets wait, the worse the offers get.

Option 2 - Trade him for the best package, even if it is less than he wants.

Option 3 - He sits at home and the Jets wait him out until he signs a deal. They get a good player back who by the sounds of it doesn't want to be there.

Option 4 - Tell him to stay home for the year and re-open negotiations after the season is over. Trouba likely plays in Europe in this case. Most unlikely of them all.

Option 5 - Trouba changes his mind and everyone leaves this situation happy.

The options get more unlikely the further down the list you go, in my opinion.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
If NYR are involved, and Winnipeg insists on a 1 for one deal:

Trouba to NYR

Kreider to Winnipeg.

With the NYR forward depth, that makes sense to me.

Although I would wait for Shatty...

Right and what part of Winnipeg not needing LWers isn't being understood, Cheveldayoff would be seeking a top 4 LHD to replace Trouba and that's not Kreider.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Don't need to, but if they want to not have a good player sitting at home, then they might opt to.

Option 1 - Trouba sits at home until traded. Likely, the longer the Jets wait, the worse the offers get.

Option 2 - Trade him for the best package, even if it is less than he wants.

Option 3 - He sits at home and the Jets wait him out until he signs a deal. They get a good player back who by the sounds of it doesn't want to be there.

Option 4 - Tell him to stay home for the year and re-open negotiations after the season is over. Trouba likely plays in Europe in this case. Most unlikely of them all.

Option 5 - Trouba changes his mind and everyone leaves this situation happy.

The options get more unlikely the further down the list you go, in my opinion.

Regardless of the options, the Jets have indicated their price to GMs.

They aren't trading Trouba unless they get it.

MikeRahl

Feb 20, 2010
The Jets have been done this road with Burmistrov... who ended up spurning the Jets and playing in his home country for 2 years, which really isn't something Trouba can do.

There are only a few ways this can play out

1.) Jets unload Trouba for less than he was worth before his trade demand just to get something for him

2.) Jets trade Trouba or Trouba+ for fair value

3.) Jets end up signing Trouba despite all this posturing (and it is posturing)

4.) Someone signs Trouba to an Offer Sheet

5.) Trouba sits for the year+

Jets history seems to preclude #1. Jets got fair value (maybe more than fair value) for Ladd and Kane despite popular opinion stating they would get peanuts. The Burmi situation shows they are willing to sit on an asset if they feel it is undervalued.

I think the thing people miss here is that this isn't a zero-sum game. I'm not sure how RFA QO's work against the cap, but Trouba not playing for the Jets at X cap might be worth more to them than playing with player Y with Trouba on another team.

It seems pretty late in the game for #4, if someone was going to Offer Sheet Trouba it probably would have happened by now, that infamous ROR offer sheet shows that they can be signed late in the game however.

I think #5 is unlikely, because Trouba is a young player, Free Agency is too important to push back and he isn't going to play abroad.

I think the most likely thing to happen is that Trouba is going to get a bridge deal that takes him through RFA, rather than him being packaged in a deal for more pieces.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Judging by Bob Mckenzie pre-season draft ranking, this is the year to trade a 1st. He said Nolan Patrick is the defacto number 1 overall and many believe he will only be a #2c in the NHL

There are moves that can be made with Gardiner and/or JVR to solidify the top-4. Given their age and term and the Leafs timeline, getting younger in important places with those two assets sets the Leafs up better long-term. The Leafs 1st next year better fits the timeline and has a very good chance to be another high end chip that the Leafs don't have to play. No reason to chance a Patrick or Liljegren, when the situation calls for a Gardiner and/or JVR.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

It's called an asking price, that doesn't mean they get it or that they'll draw a hard line in the sand. Of course they'll consider moving off that asking price if it doesn't happen in a timely manner. That's how trade negotiations work. What do you expect them to say? "We want an equivalent LD in return, but................we'll settle for less if that doesn't work out."

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
3-Way - Oilers, Jets, and Wild

To Oilers
Trouba

To Jets
Brodin

To Wild
RHN

Oilers get high-end RHD to complete their blueline overhaul.

Jets get LHD with needed skill-set and comparable age/value to Trouba, but re-signed long-term.

Wild get center to play in top-6 with Koivu.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

They are saying they aren't trading him unless they get it. GMs say a lot of things. Sometimes it's true. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's true in the moment but as circumstances change, their minds change.

This is the kind of statement that leads to the eventual "Where are all the fans of X team who were saying blah blah blah".

I'm sure WPG wants to deal him for an equally good LHD. But there's a good chance that isn't going to happen. And if it doesn't happen they are faced with the next best option. Whether you think that is letting him sit at home or not is open to opinion.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Would Winnipeg consider Connor Carrick, Tyler Bozak and Kasperi Kappanen?

tumblr_m6phqztrMq1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
Trouba for MAF :D

Something I'm genuinely curious about - there was an analyst on TSN the proposed that Kane and Trouba won't be the last players that look to get out of Winnipeg. What is the reasoning for that? Low team salary budget? Climate? I mean to play for a smaller Canadian city with tons of dedicated passionate fans seems like a pretty amazing gig.

North

Jun 25, 2009
It's called an asking price, that doesn't mean they get it or that they'll draw a hard line in the sand. Of course they'll consider moving off that asking price if it doesn't happen in a timely manner. That's how trade negotiations work. What do you expect them to say? "We want an equivalent LD in return, but................we'll settle for less if that doesn't work out."

If they were willing to move off that price they would have done it a long time ago considering the request was made in May.

Chevy is going to get what he wants or Trouba will continue to sit.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
As an Oiler fan it's tough to move on from Nuge, but I think it will happen sooner or late and would take this deal I think. We would need to go shopping for a 3C though.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
To Toronto: Trouba

To Winnipeg: Sami Vatanen + 2nd (WPG) + 3nd (TOR)

To Anaheim: JVR

Picks can be thrown around differently, just an example

Okay and tell me once again how a RHD in Vatanen works when Winnipeg needs a top 4 LHD. So vatanen who's a RHD will be put on the left side like Trouba because Winnipeg already has Buff and Myers set on the right side.:shakehead

North

Jun 25, 2009
They are saying they aren't trading him unless they get it. GMs say a lot of things. Sometimes it's true. Sometimes it's not. Sometimes it's true in the moment but as circumstances change, their minds change.

This is the kind of statement that leads to the eventual "Where are all the fans of X team who were saying blah blah blah".

I'm sure WPG wants to deal him for an equally good LHD. But there's a good chance that isn't going to happen. And if it doesn't happen they are faced with the next best option. Whether you think that is letting him sit at home or not is open to opinion.

Well this appears to be true considering the trade request was made in May and no negotiations have happened since then.

Chevy is going to do what's best for the Jets, not Jacob Trouba.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
What do the Jets think of Jon Merrill? I know he is more of a developing top 4 than an established one. But here's a kid who (from what I've read) Devils fans have high hopes he can develop into a top 4 D.

Jon Merrill + two 2nds?

Again, coming from a neutral fan.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Trouba for MAF :D

Something I'm genuinely curious about - there was an analyst on TSN the proposed that Kane and Trouba won't be the last players that look to get out of Winnipeg. What is the reasoning for that? Low team salary budget? Climate? I mean to play for a smaller Canadian city with tons of dedicated passionate fans seems like a pretty amazing gig.

Why would we trade for Las Vegas's starting goalie?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Would Winnipeg consider Connor Carrick, Tyler Bozak and Kasperi Kappanen?

Bozak is negative value, we don't need forwards and he takes cap space. Kapanen is zero value, we don't need forward prospects either.

Have a guess, is it enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad