Player Discussion Tristan Luneau

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
He is going to become something special. It’s more beneficial to keep him here for the time being at a pro level than ‘wasting’ away on his poor junior team

One of Lacombe or even Zellweger may be traded in the future for additional forward help.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I thought Luneau looked great the last couple games he's played.

I'm still thinking he gets loaned to Team Canada for the WJC if Drysdale is back, no?

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
Verbeek is advancing his physical development by a year... well at least by 3 months until the WJC and more if the org decides to keep him with the NHL club for the rest of the year.
Isn’t lacombe waiver exempt and able to be sent to the gulls? It’s possible luneau surprises us and stays up with the big club while lacombe goes down to the gulls

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
That seems like a good way to encourage other college prospects to go the UFA route their senior year.
I sure hope this isn’t a train of thought when it comes to lineup decisions. He should have to earn a spot and play well enough to keep it. I don’t believe LaCombe has done that.

A stint in San Diego would do him good, I think.

Fowler Gudas
Mintyukov Lyubushkin
Vaakanainen Drysdale

LaCombe to the minors. Call up Hagg or someone for a 7th if needed.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I sure hope this isn’t a train of thought when it comes to lineup decisions. He should have to earn a spot and play well enough to keep it. I don’t believe LaCombe has done that.

A stint in San Diego would do him good, I think.

Fowler Gudas
Mintyukov Lyubushkin
Vaakanainen Drysdale

LaCombe to the minors. Call up Hagg or someone for a 7th if needed.
He’s certainly done so compared to Luneau. He’s also been put in a far less fair circumstance than Vaakanainen and Mintyukov, who would also undoubtedly be catching the same degree of scrutiny if they were put on the top pairing on their off sides as well.

That doesn’t mean that a stint in the AHL wouldn’t help him, but the same could be said for the other two as well. There’s more to it than “top pairing on your off side or the AHL”.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
He’s certainly done so compared to Luneau. He’s also been put in a far less fair circumstance than Vaakanainen and Mintyukov, who would also undoubtedly be catching the same degree of scrutiny if they were put on the top pairing on their off sides as well.

That doesn’t mean that a stint in the AHL wouldn’t help him, but the same could be said for the other two as well. There’s more to it than “top pairing on your off side or the AHL”.
I

I would disagree with your first paragraph. There have been instances where LaCombe has turned the puck over on his off side, but where he usually gets into trouble is missed assignments and bad pinches. I don’t think playing your off side has anything to do with that.

Luneau has looked better the last 2 games with Fowler than LaCombe has at any point this season. Would that continue? I don’t know, but I’d rather see that than the train wreck that is Jackson LaCombe on the top pairing. He has the worst plus minus on the team and that’s a designation he’s certainly earned.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I

I would disagree with your first paragraph. There have been instances where LaCombe has turned the puck over on his off side, but where he usually gets into trouble is missed assignments and bad pinches. I don’t think playing your off side has anything to do with that.

Luneau has looked better the last 2 games with Fowler than LaCombe has at any point this season. Would that continue? I don’t know, but I’d rather see that than the train wreck that is Jackson LaCombe on the top pairing. He has the worst plus minus on the team and that’s a designation he’s certainly earned.
LaCombe had 3 assists and was +2 over the first 9 games, and was top pairing 7 of those games plus however much he was there in Game 2 after Drysdale went out. That includes away game wins against Columbus, Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.

Luneau has played 5 games, his top TOI was 19:08, followed by 17:48, followed by everything else being 16:16 or under.

LaCombe has played 14 games with more TOI than Luneau’s top time, 13 games over 20 minutes, 9 games over 21 minutes, and 5 games over 22 minutes.

Luneau has been sheltered in a way that LaCombe has not been, and is only used for 1-2 games at a time. It is very common for players to be able to play above their station on adrenaline for 5-10 games, as LaCombe absolutely did to start the season. Luneau hasn’t come close to the same TOI or continual game to game pressure LaCombe has. It’s not even a debate.

Edit - discounting Drysdale’s 1-1/3 games, LaCombe is 2nd in TOI for the entire team. Luneau is 12th, and ahead of only Vaakanainen amongst defensemen.

Last edited:

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
LaCombe had 3 assists and was +2 over the first 9 games, and was top pairing 7 of those games plus however much he was there in Game 2 after Drysdale went out. That includes away game wins against Columbus, Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh.

Luneau has played 5 games, his top TOI was 19:08, followed by 17:48, followed by everything else being 16:16 or under.

LaCombe has played 14 games with more TOI than Luneau’s top time, 13 games over 20 minutes, 9 games over 21 minutes, and 5 games over 22 minutes.

Luneau has been sheltered in a way that LaCombe has not been, and is only used for 1-2 games at a time. It is very common for players to be able to play above their station on adrenaline for 5-10 games, as LaCombe absolutely did to start the season. Luneau hasn’t come close to the same TOI or continual game to game pressure LaCombe has. It’s not even a debate.

Edit - discounting Drysdale’s 1-1/3 games, LaCombe is 2nd in TOI for the entire team. Luneau is 12th, and ahead of only Vaakanainen amongst defensemen.
LaCombe is -18 in his last 14 games with 0 points.

Luneau’s TOI has been going up and he’s looked better the more minutes he gets. He’s also 2 years younger. I think he’s earned a better look.

Practice lines have LaCombe with Gudas now. Why it has taken so long to split up his pairing with Fowler is beyond me.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LaCombe is -18 in his last 14 games with 0 points.

Luneau’s TOI has been going up and he’s looked better the more minutes he gets. He’s also 2 years younger. I think he’s earned a better look.

Practice lines have LaCombe with Gudas now. Why it has taken so long to split up his pairing with Fowler is beyond me.

Top Pairing
Game 1: Fowler - Drysdale ... Loss
Game 2: Fowler - Drysdale ... Win
Game 3: Fowler - Luneau ... Loss
Game 4: Fowler - Luneau ... Loss
Game 5: Fowler - Vaaks ... Loss
Game 6: Fowler - Vaaks first half, Fowler - LaCombe 2nd half ... Win
Game 7: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 8: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 9: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 10: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 11: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 12: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 13: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 14: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 15: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win
Game 16: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 17: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 18: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 19: Fowler - Luneau ... Loss (No LaCombe)
Game 20: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 21: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss
Game 22: Fowler - LaCombe ... Loss (Luneau on the 3rd pairing due to Gudas injury)
Game 23: Fowler - Luneau... Loss
Game 24: Fowler - LaCombe ... Win

Luneau was inserted into the top line when Drysdale fell to injury. Apparently, Luneau wasn't quite ready for the NHL and was displaced by Vaaks. Vaaks was struggling and was replaced on the top line in-game by LaCombe.

That should answer your question as to why it's taking long to put Luneau back into the lineup. Can you imagine how wrecked Luneau would be if the Ducks kept playing him since game 3?

@Ducks DVM already identified that LaCombe going to the top pairing helped to shelter the other pairings in Minty-Lyubushkin and Vaaks-Gudas. Also, LaCombe is part of the PK unit - part of the reason his TOI numbers are high. PK minutes are harder minutes than the PP. We ran off a 6-game win streak with LaCombe on the top pairing. LaCombe helped break the 8-game losing streak, playing the 2nd most minutes for defensemen.

LaCombe
First 9 games: 3 pts, +2 rating​
Last 14 games: 0 pts, -18 rating​

Mintyukov
First 14 games: 10 pts, +3​
Last 10 games: 3 pts, -7 rating​

Our rookie d-men's play has gone down as they play more games. Luneau has 5 games under his jersey. Luneau should be fresher than our other rookie d-men.

Luneau is going to play on the top line against Colorado tonight. I'm excited to see him play against tougher competition.

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I have no problem with LaCombe, just his usage. He’s in over his head, and that’s on Cronin.
It's more about our roster and injuries than Cronin, IMO. I oddly think Gudas would be worse on the top pairing than LaCombe, I just don't think he's fast enough to play top pairing minutes and top PK minutes and we'd see him take more penalties and have players blow past him. Even if LaCombe is making rookie mistakes he stays with the play pretty well.

LaCombe has been punching way above his weight and Drysdale coming back in 2029 will be great for him to move back down.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
It's more about our roster and injuries than Cronin, IMO. I oddly think Gudas would be worse on the top pairing than LaCombe, I just don't think he's fast enough to play top pairing minutes and top PK minutes and we'd see him take more penalties and have players blow past him. Even if LaCombe is making rookie mistakes he stays with the play pretty well.

LaCombe has been punching way above his weight and Drysdale coming back in 2029 will be great for him to move back down.
I'm sorry, but nobody who was -18 in his last 14 games can be "staying with the play pretty well." Yes, he skates better than Gudas, but I find it very hard to believe that Gudas wouldn't perform better in that role (and I'm not even suggesting Gudas would excel on the top pair either). LaCombe has simply been put in the worst possible position for him to succeed (tough minutes + playing on off side).

DuckDuckGetz

Nov 20, 2017
I'm sorry, but nobody who was -18 in his last 14 games can be "staying with the play pretty well." Yes, he skates better than Gudas, but I find it very hard to believe that Gudas wouldn't perform better in that role (and I'm not even suggesting Gudas would excel on the top pair either). LaCombe has simply been put in the worst possible position for him to succeed (tough minutes + playing on off side).
I meant physically staying with the play. Like his skating is strong enough that he can skate at high intensity for the entire game, unlike Gudas.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Kind of reminds me of how Drysdale was used. I don't understand why coaches think it's a good idea to throw rookies to the wolves like that. Especially highly regarded ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad