Player Discussion Tristan Luneau

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
The Luneau case is interesting.

Historically, when a player has been load managed like he has been they are sent back to juniors in the second half of the season.

Victoriaville is his hometown team, would be fun to see him go back and dominate the Q.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California

" The Tigers of Victoriaville will acquire the rights to Tristan Luneau in the coming hours. The deal is complex as it contains several clauses depending on the number of matches that the defender, who for the moment is back in Anaheim, will be able to play".

Warren and Luneau will be reunited, if/when Luneau returns to the Q

This is the follow-up tweet. The infection was in his knee? Or is this a translation error?
Screenshot 2024-01-05 at 8.16.03 AM.png

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I can see a situation where the Ducks want to monitor that knee infection, but If he’s healthy, he’s definitely going back right?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I can see a situation where the Ducks want to monitor that knee infection, but If he’s healthy, he’s definitely going back right?

Yeah I think that's likely the case. He'll be with the Ducks until fully cleared and then sent back. May not be returned before the Jan 10th CHL deadline, so that forces them to make it a conditional trade.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
With only 7 NHL games under Luneau's belt, the most prudent thing is to send him back to juniors and let his ELC slide another year. Conflate that with the emergence of LaCombe's ability to play the right side and not look lost along with Vaak's improvement on the ice, it kinda dissipates a roster spot being held for Luneau. Plus, the March TDL date is two months away to make any new roster spots.

Yet, if Verbeek is planning on trading away RD Lyubushkin at the TDL, then there is a possibility that RD Luneau will remain in Anaheim. For the past few games, Minty has been playing 3rd pairing minutes. The team can hide/shelter a Minty-Luneau in a 3rd pairing role, but that rookie pairing seems as dangerous as getting involved in a land war in Asia.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Seems like the Ducks can milk it for a while before having to make a final decision. He can come back here, hang with the team, attend meetings, potentially still get in some upper body work (?), and still play a coupe of games here before having to decide whether to send him back and slide the contract or keep him.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
While I don’t disagree, this the age old discussion of practicing in the NHL v playing in juniors debate.

I think it's more mass/strength development with all the time off than practicing in the NHL with Luneau. It's the Carlsson strength mgmt program, but on steroids for Luneau. Luneau's six game stint in the AHL wasn't as dynamic as I would have wanted. Verbeek wants Luneau to have more bulk and, hopefully, additional burst in his first three steps for next season.

Mac had limited games in his D+0 season, but it didn't prevent him from developing skills. Before going to Switzerland, Mac was training and working out for a few months while the OHL was shutdown.

Reactions: Sean Garrity

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I hope the infection in Luneau's knee has been cleared up. Infections in the bone are scary. My SIL's nephew broke his ankle and got an infection in the bone and eventually had to have is foot ankle amputated.

• Wow
Reactions: Daz28

ff8

Aug 25, 2022
He might just have septic arthritis or something who knows

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Well LaCombe is already having a tough time staying in the lineup so how do you fit Luneau in?
Is Lybush here after the deadline? With our injury problems it’s not that hard.

I’m not completely opposed to sending him back but I’m also not convinced it would be great for his development.

Luneau being traded for a 5th tells me they’re not expecting him back. His infection is either really bad or they have no intentions of sending him to the Q.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Is Lybush here after the deadline? With our injury problems it’s not that hard.

I’m not completely opposed to sending him back but I’m also not convinced it would be great for his development.

Luneau being traded for a 5th tells me they’re not expecting him back. His infection is either really bad or they have no intentions of sending him to the Q.
Bush should be gone…. But I think luneau should go down to qmjhl and play impactful mins, if he is healthy enough to play

Let helleson get the call up

Reactions: lwvs84

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Well LaCombe is already having a tough time staying in the lineup so how do you fit Luneau in?

Why would you burn a year for Luneau? Space out the contracts.

Verbeek already committed Luneau to this mass building program through December and I don't think Verbeek cares about burning a contract. We've got Carlsson on a part-time 1C program. Also, the fact Luneau went back to the Ducks instead of his junior team feels like Verbeek already showing his hand. Kinda cold that Verbeek doesn't communicate with Luneau's junior team.

Question is how are the Ducks going to find room on the roster until March, the TDL? I can see Verbeek sending LaCombe down to the AHL to make room for Luneau. Verbeek wants Luneau to be physically ripe for next season and get more NHL game experience after the TDL.

Hmmm... could be the reason why Vaak is getting the nod over LaCombe nowadays.

Potential pairings
Fowler-Drysdale
Minty-Gudas
Vaak-Luneau
Hagg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad