Player Discussion Tristan Luneau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I think PV's plan for Luneau this year has been shaped more by his early season injury and now his recent illness and not by a decision that was made in camp, to keep him all year. As long as he can keep Luneau with the big club and still not exceed the 10 game limit it's obvious PV thinks it's more advantageous for the kid's development. But you won't convince me that PV was always planning to keep him in ANA all year.

But given how bumpy the ride has been, getting us to where we are now, it's a fair question to ask if it makes sense to send him back (and slide the contract) before exceeding the 10 game limit and just let him get in more games before the season is over, even if it is in the Q. Playoff games in the CHL may not be the WJC, but they still could be better than how little he would play here the rest of the year.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
I think PV's plan for Luneau this year has been shaped more by his early season injury and now his recent illness and not by a decision that was made in camp, to keep him all year. As long as he can keep Luneau with the big club and still not exceed the 10 game limit it's obvious PV thinks it's more advantageous for the kid's development. But you won't convince me that PV was always planning to keep him in ANA all year.

But given how bumpy the ride has been, getting us to where we are now, it's a fair question to ask if it makes sense to send him back (and slide the contract) before exceeding the 10 game limit and just let him get in more games before the season is over, even if it is in the Q. Playoff games in the CHL may not be the WJC, but they still could be better than how little he would play here the rest of the year.

What early season injury are you talking about with Luneau? There's no record of Luneau being injured with the Ducks. Luneau played in games 3 and 4 of the season when Drysdale fell to injury.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
What early season injury are you talking about with Luneau? There's no record of Luneau being injured with the Ducks. Luneau played in games 3 and 4 of the season when Drysdale fell to injury.
He had some reason for going down to play for the Gulls for some kind of rehab. He couldn’t do that if it wasn’t for medical reasons.

goonsaredumb

Sep 30, 2022
He had some reason for going down to play for the Gulls for some kind of rehab. He couldn’t do that if it wasn’t for medical reasons.
You can be loaned on a conditioning stint as long as the player agrees and the commission allows it, Shane Wright did the same thing last year

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Shane Wright did it last year he also had junior eligibility
You may be right. But isn’t there also an age limit below which you can’t go to the A without it being injury rehab related? That was my understanding relative to Luneau’s options. You know with the Ducks he could have had cancer, been cured and we never would have known.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
You may be right. But isn’t there also an age limit below which you can’t go to the A without it being injury rehab related? That was my understanding relative to Luneau’s options. You know with the Ducks he could have had cancer, been cured and we never would have known.

Nope. There's a work around the age limit which is the conditioning stint. The conditioning stint can only be used once and the conditioning stint lasts like only two weeks. As others have mentioned, Shane Wright did it a year ago. We did it this year with Luneau.

The conditioning stint has a huge caveat such that even though a player is loaned to the AHL, that player retains an NHL roster spot. Technically, that player isn't on the AHL's roster spot because he still belongs to the NHL.

With that all cleared up and Luneau never being injured, now does it sway you a little bit that Verbeek intended to keep Luneau with the NHL club to improve his body just like Carlsson, but on steroids? At least Carlsson is a part-time player whereas Luneau has rarely played. Even Luneau complained about always weight lifting than getting into games when he was sent down to San Diego for the conditioning stint.

Verbeek wants to shorten the rebuild by getting Carlsson and Luneau physically better this year in order to start running fast next season instead of sending Carlsson to the AHL and Luneau back to juniors at the start of the season. Minty also made the team, but he's more physically more ready than Carlsson and Luneau... but Minty and LaCombe have hit rookie walls. Carlsson was slated to play more before the injury. We might dial back the number of games as a precaution before going full bore again. With Luneau, there might have been a target date to get games in after the TDL.

I questioned what exactly were we doing with Luneau early in the season when we didn't rotate him into the lineup after his first two-game stint. Then he went on a conditioning stint. By that time, we all figured he was being held onto until the WJC's in December. Essentially, just like Shane Wright. Except Wright went back to juniors right after the WJC's. We have not done so with Luneau thus far.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Nope. There's a work around the age limit which is the conditioning stint. The conditioning stint can only be used once and the conditioning stint lasts like only two weeks. As others have mentioned, Shane Wright did it a year ago. We did it this year with Luneau.

The conditioning stint has a huge caveat such that even though a player is loaned to the AHL, that player retains an NHL roster spot. Technically, that player isn't on the AHL's roster spot because he still belongs to the NHL.

With that all cleared up and Luneau never being injured, now does it sway you a little bit that Verbeek intended to keep Luneau with the NHL club to improve his body just like Carlsson, but on steroids? At least Carlsson is a part-time player whereas Luneau has rarely played. Even Luneau complained about always weight lifting than getting into games when he was sent down to San Diego for the conditioning stint.

Verbeek wants to shorten the rebuild by getting Carlsson and Luneau physically better this year in order to start running fast next season instead of sending Carlsson to the AHL and Luneau back to juniors at the start of the season. Minty also made the team, but he's more physically more ready than Carlsson and Luneau... but Minty and LaCombe have hit rookie walls. Carlsson was slated to play more before the injury. We might dial back the number of games as a precaution before going full bore again. With Luneau, there might have been a target date to get games in after the TDL.

I questioned what exactly were we doing with Luneau early in the season when we didn't rotate him into the lineup after his first two-game stint. Then he went on a conditioning stint. By that time, we all figured he was being held onto until the WJC's in December. Essentially, just like Shane Wright. Except Wright went back to juniors right after the WJC's. We have not done so with Luneau thus far.
I’m still not sure I see PV intentionally planning a program that includes 6 straight healthy scratches in ANA before going to SD. The Carlsson plan always included a regular schedule of NHL games. But as I stated elsewhere, I’m now more convinced that PV is meddling in on ice decisions than I would have believed at the beginning of the season. It’s almost like Cronin is an assistant coach filling in on a temporary basis while PV calls many of the shots regarding who plays with who and who sits in the press box every night.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
McTavish spent some time in SD on a conditioning stint during his initial part season with the Ducks. Late October/early November of the 2021/22 season. All part of the plan to drag his 10 games out until it was time to send him to WJC camp.

Reactions: Dr Johnny Fever

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hey guys congrats on the Cutte deal.

I’m fascinated by Luneau.
Do you guys envision some high end offense with him at the NHL level?

Thanks!

Reactions: robbieboy3686

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012

Thanks!
Luneau has great hands and is a very good decision maker, but there are some questions about his skating. he's not a dynamic skater
Might hold back his upside to a degree IMO

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario

Thanks!

I see a larger chance of Mintyukov and Zellweger being "high end" offensively. Luneau I think will be a less explosive at that end but an overall very well rounded, jack of all trades top 4 guy. 30+ points and able to play in all situations. Ryan Pulock in his prime years might be a reasonable comparable.

For now just hoping to see the kid make a full recovery from what was seemingly a pretty scary infection, that led to him being hospitalized overseas for over a week.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I see a larger chance of Mintyukov and Zellweger being "high end" offensively. Luneau I think will be a less explosive at that end but an overall very well rounded, jack of all trades top 4 guy. 30+ points and able to play in all situations. Ryan Pulock in his prime years might be a reasonable comparable.

For now just hoping to see the kid make a full recovery from what was seemingly a pretty scary infection, that led to him being hospitalized overseas for over a week.

Luneau has great hands and is a very good decision maker, but there are some questions about his skating. he's not a dynamic skater
Might hold back his upside to a degree IMO

Awesome thanks!

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
McTavish spent some time in SD on a conditioning stint during his initial part season with the Ducks. Late October/early November of the 2021/22 season. All part of the plan to drag his 10 games out until it was time to send him to WJC camp.

The plan you suggested to drag out Mac's 9-game stint until WJC is false.

Unlike Shane Wright and Luneau, McTavish was actually injured and only played in 3 AHL games. Also, unlike Wright and Luneau, Mac was sent back to juniors before the WJC. The team had many injured forwards when Mac was playing and the team was expecting them back. Because of that reason, there was no roster spot available for Mac worthwhile to be kept at the NHL.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

The 40 game limit is actually the number that matters. They likely don’t want him hitting 40 games on the roster since he will be 1 year closer to UFA.

Reactions: robbieboy3686

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
The 40 game limit is actually the number that matters. They likely don’t want him hitting 40 games on the roster since he will be 1 year closer to UFA.
You could be right. I'm not at all sure what PV is doing with the roster these days. I just don't think Cronin has as much control as a head coach normally does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad