Player Discussion Tristan Luneau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
This is pure speculation on my part but I wonder if PV is managing the lineups a lot more than we might think or expect? Is Luneau on his own version of the Leo plan? One that wasn't originally planned but took off with his own injury as well as JD's?

Moving different guys to the top pair might be more about giving others a shot at lower pairs to see how they handle a more reasonable amount of responsibility? (moving LaCombe back down and putting him on his natural side?) If you believe winning is secondary to PV right now, then shuffling guys around in the NHL might make some sense as an evaluation tool and to give them different experiences.

Reactions: Kalv

TheGoodShepard1

Dongle Digits.
Nov 26, 2017
Good luck at the WJC and in the Q and godspeed, monsieur. There was a ton to be encouraged by in the last 5 or so games that he played here.

Even as someone who loved him in the pre-draft process, I still thought he might be 3 or 4 years before he cracked the lineup full time after a full year in the AHL, he may very well be a regular on the opening night roster next season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Kind of reminds me of how Drysdale was used. I don't understand why coaches think it's a good idea to throw rookies to the wolves like that. Especially highly regarded ones.

I believe this is a common practice amongst rebuild teams. They don't have the talent depth to keep the highly regarded prospects lower in the lineup and it does give the prospect a lot of NHL experience. Against the Blackhawks last night, rookie D Korchinski is on their top-pairing while we are sheltering rookie D Minty in lower pairings. Both rookie D-men are from the 2022 draft.

With Drysdale, he was committed to the top pairing with Lindholm to start the season partly because Lindholm was our best defender. The other factor was due to Drysdale's play in the previous season, winning AHL rookie for the month and playing 24 NHL games. Anaheim knew what they had in Drysdale and wanted him to do more.

This year, LaCombe wasn't designed to play top pairing role from the start. In fact, LaCombe was the fourth option. When Drysdale fell to injury, then the team tried out Luneau for two games and knew Luneau wasn't ready. Afterwards, the team tried out Vaaks for a game and half, but Vaaks too wasn't ready. Only then did we throw LaCombe up to the top pairing role. Note, Minty is being sheltered from playing on the top pairing with Fowler.

During our 6-game win streak, LaCombe earned 2 assists and was a -3 rating. Fowler earned 5 assists and was a +1. Since the 6-game win streak, Fowler has 1g + 4a and a -14 rating, while LaCombe has 0 pts and a -15 rating. Just to put things into perspective, Lindholm was +0 rating in 61 games with the Ducks while Drysdale was -18 rating with Lindholm.

• Record as a top pair with Fowler this year
    • Drysdale: 1 -1
    • Luneau: 0-6
    • Vaaks: 0 -1
      (shared win with LaCombe, LaCombe replaced Vaaks during the game)
    • LaCombe: 9-8

For as much crap LaCombe gets piled up on, he actually helps the team win games on the top-pairing. It's not ideal, but he was also our fourth option.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
This is pure speculation on my part but I wonder if PV is managing the lineups a lot more than we might think or expect? Is Luneau on his own version of the Leo plan? One that wasn't originally planned but took off with his own injury as well as JD's?

Moving different guys to the top pair might be more about giving others a shot at lower pairs to see how they handle a more reasonable amount of responsibility? (moving LaCombe back down and putting him on his natural side?) If you believe winning is secondary to PV right now, then shuffling guys around in the NHL might make some sense as an evaluation tool and to give them different experiences.

It's not speculation, PV is managing lineups. It's been documented for both Carlsson and Luneau's usages. The Cronin abides.

Carlsson and Luneau are on body building/strengthening programs. There are several factors why Carlsson is getting a lot of games in while Luneau has been stuck weight lifting such as overall skill, talent depth available, and the positions they play.

Carlsson and Luneau are developing their bodies twice in hockey season, so to speak, once in-season and another during the off-season. The NCAA schedule of two games per week and the other days off are dedicated to body strengthening with rest period. Leo was on that two games per week schedule, but specialized at the NHL level. Luneau was straight body building for most of the season.

As for original planning, I'm sticking with my original thought - Verbeek is trying to shorten the rebuild time. The fact Carlsson is a part-time 1C and Luneau has been used sparingly says they aren't ripe or overripen prospects. We're pushing six rookies in the NHL. We now know what we have in our rookies playing in the NHL and are happy with their progress. They should make a bigger jump in their game for next season.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Good luck at the WJC and in the Q and godspeed, monsieur. There was a ton to be encouraged by in the last 5 or so games that he played here.

Even as someone who loved him in the pre-draft process, I still thought he might be 3 or 4 years before he cracked the lineup full time after a full year in the AHL, he may very well be a regular on the opening night roster next season.

I believe that was Verbeek's intent for Luneau all along.

Reactions: TheGoodShepard1

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
It's not speculation, PV is managing lineups. It's been documented for both Carlsson and Luneau's usages.
Yes, that part is obvious. I was referring more to all the bitching that goes on about who's on what pair and what side LaCombe is playing. I'm not so sure Cronin is making many of the game day lineup D pairings including who sits.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Yes, that part is obvious. I was referring more to all the bitching that goes on about who's on what pair and what side LaCombe is playing. I'm not so sure Cronin is making many of the game day lineup D pairings including who sits.

Verbeek does have specific requests on specific players. Those specific players are Carlsson and Luneau. Carlsson was set up as a part-time 1C, instead of starting off at 3C. Last year, Mac started off at LW and then at center. But Mac didn't get to play 1C until playing 4C, 3C,, and then 2C. I've stated often that I feel back for Cronin b/c he doesn't control who plays 1C nor does he get a say when Luneau plays.

Since the roster is controlled by Verbeek, we're limited in RD's and LaCombe is the only LD that the coaches like who can play RD. Then there's the other factor of playing a youth/rookie with a vet.

Cronin likes specific pairs/groups if they're working such as rookie Minty- vet Lyubushkin.

If Luneau is in, then he's playing RD with Fowler and the other vet RD's are playing with rookie(s) and/or youth D (Vaaks). The query is who stays between LaCombe and Vaaks. I'd say that's Cronin's call between LaCombe/Vaaks.

Of course, we had an incident where Gudas got injured and Luneau was placed on the third pairing with Vaaks and LaCombe stayed top pairing. That's probably Cronin's decision.

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I believe this is a common practice amongst rebuild teams. They don't have the talent depth to keep the highly regarded prospects lower in the lineup and it does give the prospect a lot of NHL experience. Against the Blackhawks last night, rookie D Korchinski is on their top-pairing while we are sheltering rookie D Minty in lower pairings. Both rookie D-men are from the 2022 draft.

With Drysdale, he was committed to the top pairing with Lindholm to start the season partly because Lindholm was our best defender. The other factor was due to Drysdale's play in the previous season, winning AHL rookie for the month and playing 24 NHL games. Anaheim knew what they had in Drysdale and wanted him to do more.

This year, LaCombe wasn't designed to play top pairing role from the start. In fact, LaCombe was the fourth option. When Drysdale fell to injury, then the team tried out Luneau for two games and knew Luneau wasn't ready. Afterwards, the team tried out Vaaks for a game and half, but Vaaks too wasn't ready. Only then did we throw LaCombe up to the top pairing role. Note, Minty is being sheltered from playing on the top pairing with Fowler.

During our 6-game win streak, LaCombe earned 2 assists and was a -3 rating. Fowler earned 5 assists and was a +1. Since the 6-game win streak, Fowler has 1g + 4a and a -14 rating, while LaCombe has 0 pts and a -15 rating. Just to put things into perspective, Lindholm was +0 rating in 61 games with the Ducks while Drysdale was -18 rating with Lindholm.

• Record as a top pair with Fowler this year
    • Drysdale: 1 -1
    • Luneau: 0-6
    • Vaaks: 0 -1
      (shared win with LaCombe, LaCombe replaced Vaaks during the game)
    • LaCombe: 9-8

For as much crap LaCombe gets piled up on, he actually helps the team win games on the top-pairing. It's not ideal, but he was also our fourth option.
How?

How can he have 0 pts and be -18 in a 14 game stretch and be helping the team win games. This is so inaccurate I don’t even know where to start.

Last edited:

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
How?

How can he have 0 pts and be -18 in a 14 game stretch and be helping the team win games. This is so inaccurate I don’t even know where to start.
Because he’s allowing the other young guys to be appropriately sheltered so that they can shine, and, well, he’s the only guy that the team actually has a winning record with on the 1st pairing RD. None of Vaakanainen, Luneau, or Mintyukov play on the PK. 43% of that -14 came in 2 (very bad) games. He’s a -1 in the last 5 games he’s played (not all of which have been on the top pairjng). He’s not losing games for the team currently.

You are very badly using +/- . No other defenseman has been on the top pairing right side and won a game this year other than Drysdale. Your argument needs to be how those games were won in spite of him. Yes, he had a huge role in losing several games, but that’s not the same thing.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
How?

It's a team sport and people fill a role to help win a game. @Ducks DVM summed it best. Arguing against the results is odd. Non-LaCombe top pairing results: 1-8. LaCombe top pairing results: 9-8. Crazily, we have a winning record with LaCombe as a top pairing D.

Although LaCombe was a -18 in his last 14 games, the team went 5-8. Two of those games were the 8-2 loss scores: LaCombe was -7 and Fowler was a -8. In those two blowout losses, the only pair without a negative rating was the Vaaks-Gudas pair... That's LaCombe's original partner to start the season.

• Games
    • First 9: Record = 5-4-0
      • Drysdale as a top pairing D: 1-1
      • Luneau as a top pairing D: 0-2
      • Vaaks as a top pairing D: 0-1
      • LaCombe as top pairing D: 4-0
    • Next 14: Record = 4-10
      • LaCombe as a top pairing D: 4-8
    • Last 3: Record = 1-2
      • LaCombe as a top pairing D: 1-0 (vs Avs)
      • Luneau as a top pairing D: 0-2 (vs Avs and Hawks)

LaCombe was +2 rating and scored 3 points in the first 9 games. He was on the top-pair for 3 1/2 games, scoring 2 points and only a +1 rating on a 4-game winning streak. LaCombe should have notched more positive ratings, but doesn't. Part of the reason why is because LaCombe switches out early to never be stuck on the ice forever.

When does LaCombe switch out? He switches out after we've won possession and the puck is in the OZone. I've witnessed a few times where LaCombe helps win puck possession in the Dzone, move the puck forward into the OZone, switch out, and then the team scores, usually with Fowler still on the ice. LaCombe doesn't get +1 on those situations despite helping to win the puck in the Dzone.

LaCombe shouldn't be a top pairing D as a rookie, but he's our best option for the time being. People aren't realizing that LaCombe was our fourth option. Luneau was playing top-pairing in our last two losses. Here are the stat cards for the last three games, with a common opponent in the Avs:

Gm 24 vs Avs: LaCombe top-pairing (Ducks win in a shootout)
Gm 24 vs Avs.png

Gm 25 vs Avs: Luneau top-pairing (no makar in the lineup)
Gm 25, vs Col.png

Gm 26 vs Chicago: Luneau top pairing
Gm 26, vs Chi.png

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
It's a team sport and people fill a role to help win a game. @Ducks DVM summed it best. Arguing against the results is odd. Non-LaCombe top pairing results: 1-8. LaCombe top pairing results: 9-8. Crazily, we have a winning record with LaCombe as a top pairing D.

Although LaCombe was a -18 in his last 14 games, the team went 5-8. Two of those games were the 8-2 loss scores: LaCombe was -7 and Fowler was a -8. In those two blowout losses, the only pair without a negative rating was the Vaaks-Gudas pair... That's LaCombe's original partner to start the season.

• Games
    • First 9: Record = 5-4-0
      • Drysdale as a top pairing D: 1-1
      • Vaaks as a top pairing D: 0-1
      • LaCombe as top pairing D: 4-0
    • Next 14: Record = 4-10
      • LaCombe as a top pairing D: 4-8
    • Last 3: Record = 1-2
      • LaCombe as a top pairing D: 1-0 (vs Avs)
      • Luneau as a top pairing D: 0-2 (vs Avs and Hawks)

LaCombe was +2 rating and scored 3 points in the first 9 games. He was on the top-pair for 3 1/2 games, scoring 2 points and only a +1 rating on a 4-game winning streak. LaCombe should have notched more positive ratings, but doesn't. Part of the reason why is because LaCombe switches out early to never be stuck on the ice forever.

When does LaCombe switch out? He switches out after we've won possession and the puck is in the OZone. I've witnessed a few times where LaCombe helps win puck possession in the Dzone, move the puck forward into the OZone, switch out, and then the team scores, usually with Fowler still on the ice. LaCombe doesn't get +1 on those situations despite helping to win the puck in the Dzone.

LaCombe shouldn't be a top pairing D as a rookie, but he's our best option for the time being. People aren't realizing that LaCombe was our fourth option. Luneau was playing top-pairing in our last two losses. Here are the stat cards for the last three games, with a common opponent in the Avs:

Gm 24 vs Avs: LaCombe top-pairing (Ducks win in a shootout)
View attachment 781096

Gm 25 vs Avs: Luneau top-pairing (no makar in the lineup)
View attachment 781091

Gm 26 vs Chicago: Luneau top pairing
View attachment 781093
Looking at strictly wins and losses is as about as deceiving as it gets. It as a team game, yes. The team as a whole was playing much better in the early part of the season. We were actually scoring 3-4 goals a game and that was able to offset LaCombe's poor play. When the offense dried up, he and Fowler were getting buried and I don't need any fancy stats or graphs to tell me that. I watch the games and that was clear as day.

We agree LaCombe should not be on the top pairing, but he was not helping us win games. He was making it harder to win games because he was over his head.

Reactions: Deuce22

FlyingV09

Jun 15, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Because he’s allowing the other young guys to be appropriately sheltered so that they can shine, and, well, he’s the only guy that the team actually has a winning record with on the 1st pairing RD. None of Vaakanainen, Luneau, or Mintyukov play on the PK. 43% of that -14 came in 2 (very bad) games. He’s a -1 in the last 5 games he’s played (not all of which have been on the top pairjng). He’s not losing games for the team currently.

You are very badly using +/- . No other defenseman has been on the top pairing right side and won a game this year other than Drysdale. Your argument needs to be how those games were won in spite of him. Yes, he had a huge role in losing several games, but that’s not the same thing.
Getting scored on while killing a penalty doesn't count against your plus/minus.

You admit he's had a huge role in losing several games...so essentially he's making it harder to win games. How is that helping the team win? That is why @Hockey Duckie 's statement made no sense to me. The wins/losses is irrelevant in my eyes.

We can all agree he shouldn't be on the top pairing, but he was costing us games, not helping. The games we were winning, we were actually scoring goals to offset his pairing.

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho

Attributing wins and losses to a single player in the lineup is even worse than using +/- to judge that player's value. LaCombe is a good young D who has been in over his head paired with Fowler. Trying to put lipstick on that pig (the Fowler/LaCombe pairing) just exposes agendas.

Reactions: FlyingV09

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Getting scored on while killing a penalty doesn't count against your plus/minus.

You admit he's had a huge role in losing several games...so essentially he's making it harder to win games. How is that helping the team win? That is why @Hockey Duckie 's statement made no sense to me. The wins/losses is irrelevant in my eyes.

We can all agree he shouldn't be on the top pairing, but he was costing us games, not helping. The games we were winning, we were actually scoring goals to offset his pairing.
Yes, in 2 of those 14 games he played very badly. I can say that for literally every player on the team for 2 games.

Gudas (3:08 SH TOI/G)and Lybushkin (3:02) have been on the ice for 10 SHGA, LaCombe 11 (2:55), and Fowler 13 (3:48). He fits in and plays essentially what the #2 and#3 guys do, on the 16th rated PK unit in the league (79.8). This is not a good pivot for saying he’s not helping the team.

That is how you win hockey games. You put together matchups where the ones you win outperform the ones you lose. Not a whole lot of shutouts in this league. If having him there controls the hemorrhage of the other teams’ top guys, while your other two pairings and or special teams now get matchups where they can help out score the other team, the combo helps you win. If your team hasn’t scored more than 2 goals in 10 of the last 15 games, and has scored 0-1 in 5 of them, it’s not LaCombe that’s the biggest issue.

LaCombe on the top pairing helps the team win by providing 1 usually ok - to - poor pairing to go up against the other teams’ top guys, and allows for two good to at times very good other pairings. Nobody else has been able to manage that much. Sometimes he gets caved in. Usually he does not. He’s been -1 or better in 20 of 27 games this year. If your team can’t outperform the other teams’ top lines only scoring 1 goal per game, then again, there are bigger issues afoot.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Attributing wins and losses to a single player in the lineup is even worse than using +/- to judge that player's value. LaCombe is a good young D who has been in over his head paired with Fowler. Trying to put lipstick on that pig (the Fowler/LaCombe pairing) just exposes agendas.
Nah, it’s pointing out that there haven’t been any better options, and that the arrangements actually did lead to a number of wins before the adrenaline ran out on the kid. The people who want to send him to the AHL because he can’t perform under those circumstances are the ones with the agendas.

Nowhere did I say he’s playing superlatively (although he’s fitting in nicely on the PK unit). I think if you put him on the 3rd pairing and forced Mintyukov to play what he’s played that there’d be a ton of talk about Mintyukov needing a trip to San Diego though. Luneau’s scorecards have been less than stellar as his games and minutes have increased as well.

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
Nah, it’s pointing out that there haven’t been any better options, and that the arrangements actually did lead to a number of wins before the adrenaline ran out on the kid. The people who want to send him to the AHL because he can’t perform under those circumstances are the ones with the agendas.

Nowhere did I say he’s playing superlatively (although he’s fitting in nicely on the PK unit). I think if you put him on the 3rd pairing and forced Mintyukov to play what he’s played that there’d be a ton of talk about Mintyukov needing a trip to San Diego though. Luneau’s scorecards have been less than stellar as his games and minutes have increased as well.
LaCombe-Fowler hasn’t been good, either by fancy stats or the eye test. Assuming that someone else would be worse with Fowler doesn’t convince me, that’s pure speculation. I like LaCombe, he belongs in the NHL. I’m calling BS on the positive spin of that pairing.

Reactions: FlyingV09

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
LaCombe-Fowler hasn’t been good, either by fancy stats or the eye test. Assuming that someone else would be worse with Fowler doesn’t convince me, that’s pure speculation. I like LaCombe, he belongs in the NHL. I’m calling BS on the positive spin of that pairing.
They’ve tried other people, in games and in practice . They stuck with it. Options are that management either disagrees or is trolling everyone. :dunno:

Again, didn’t say they were good. Said that they were better than other options and (more importantly IMO) allowed for Vaakanainen to be sheltered and figure out how to play again, and keep Mintyukov away from really hard minutes so he can also progress. Clearly management is more interested in having a veteran on every pair to tutor all the kids that ideally are all in San Diego (I’m putting everyone not named Fowler, Gudas, and Lybushkin on that list) rather than make the best top pairing possible to win. That’s on Verbeek though.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Luneau will join Warren in Victoriaville if Anaheim sends him back to the QMJHL after the WJC. That’s also his hometown.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad