OT - NO POLITICS Trick or Treat, Foliage, and possibly Snow Oh NO!!!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I like to feed the birds (I am turning into my parents) . Because of squirrels I have a T shaped pole that holds 6 bird feeders.

I noticed yesterday morning all of the feeders were down. The ones that hold the suet bars are up with chains. A couple were broken. The metal chains were snapped. I don't think we have bears and also the suet was broken on the ground and most animals would have eaten it. I think it must have been a human animal.

I went and bought some new chain and a couple of feeders and hope it was a one time thing.

I am leaving my outdoor light on.

This is the biggest bird that visits my feeders.
pileated-woodpecker-male_1421_web1.jpg

Stunning pileated!!! We have one around here that I hear early in the morning...

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Stunning pileated!!! We have one around here that I hear early in the morning...
For years I would hear them (they are quite loud). Last year when I was working from home (my mini office was set up in the middle of my living room with full view to outside) was the first time I saw them. They are quite shy but love the large suet cakes. I have at least 2.

Reactions: Gee Wally

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Extremely rare Vancouver tornado yesterday. I've never even heard of a sizeable tornado near Vancouver.
That's the waterspout. (not my photo so not sure how that works). I don't live near where it was but was actually in that direction at the time with the kids as I took them to Dune.
Just a thought but... maybe we can take climate change a bit seriously soon.

waterspout-spotted-in-vancouver-saturday-nov-6-2021.jpg

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Extremely rare Vancouver tornado yesterday. I've never even heard of a sizeable tornado near Vancouver.
That's the waterspout. (not my photo so not sure how that works). I don't live near where it was but was actually in that direction at the time with the kids as I took them to Dune.

:eek2: Holy shit

Reactions: b in vancouver

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Yikes. Amazing photo

Reactions: b in vancouver

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
:eek2: Holy shit
Yikes. Amazing photo

There's a lot of videos and stuff of it. People were watching it from the airport of all places. Could've been ugly if it hit land. Supercell tornado of that size hitting the airport, Richmond (a suburb of 500k) and Vancouver propoer... ? Crazy nowadays.

- The Day After Tomorrow is looking more like a documentary all the time. Sadly, I don't get to complain to my kids about how much worse the weather was when I was growing up because this kinda ridiculousness is getting so commonplace nowadays.

toria13

Sep 18, 2019
After going 0-8, my brother's football team finally won a game!!! It was non-conference (which I think means it doesn't effect the standings? idk, I am clueless about football) but I was getting worried they weren't gonna have a win the whole season. It was to the point where we were relieved when they lost 45-6 because the week before that it was 51-0. I had to work but I read the write up and apparently the QB had enough of incompletions and interceptions because he ran everything himself except a FG at the end :laugh:

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I have a heated bird bath too. I also throw a handful of peanuts (in the shell) out daily for the squirrels, blue jays and other birds. It drives my cats nuts when the little nuthatches splash around in the bird bath.

One time a squirrel got on my T pole so I chopped a branch down that had been his route to the pole.
Which birdbath do you have? I want to get one for the birds here this winter...

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Which birdbath do you have? I want to get one for the birds here this winter...
It is just a hard plastic. The heater in it broke years ago as did the base. SO i have it on a table on my deck with an electric thing that sits in the birdbath (in the cold weather) that keeps the water from freezing. The birds love it.

A few years ago I also had a nice ceramic one in the shape of a flower. I would clean it and bring it in for Winter so it would not crack. A few years ago I cleaned it and had it sitting on the hearth to dry. My cats were so interested in it that I filled it with water and now it is still there for them to drink out of. Yes they are spoiled.

Reactions: eightspokedb

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Anybody want to work for the Bruins?

the lying I would have to do on my resume then the subsequent ton of research to understand a role like this to have me sit in an interview and know what I`m talking about is too exhausting for me to bother on this one but no fear Wally, I`ll get my gig one day with them:)

West coast BCHL Scout, or goafer to the scout:)

I`ll be the Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
After going 0-8, my brother's football team finally won a game!!! It was non-conference (which I think means it doesn't effect the standings? idk, I am clueless about football) but I was getting worried they weren't gonna have a win the whole season. It was to the point where we were relieved when they lost 45-6 because the week before that it was 51-0. I had to work but I read the write up and apparently the QB had enough of incompletions and interceptions because he ran everything himself except a FG at the end :laugh:

You're right, a non-conference game doesn't effect the conference standings, just their overall record.

Good for your brother's team. I've been on bad teams and when you finally win one it is such a great feeling!

Reactions: toria13

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You're right, a non-conference game doesn't effect the conference standings, just their overall record.

Good for your brother's team. I've been on bad teams and when you finally win one it is such a great feeling!

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Getting sprung later today woo!

I can’t wait to get home and get in an epic shower and sleep uninterrupted with no restrictions.

I was severely dehydrated and looking back, I either dismissed or ignored the early warning signs that something was off.

Learned some valuable lessons over the last few days and while I’ll have to take it easy for a few days, I should be back to 85% by the end of the week.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Getting sprung later today woo!

I can’t wait to get home and get in an epic shower and sleep uninterrupted with no restrictions.

I was severely dehydrated and looking back, I either dismissed or ignored the early warning signs that something was off.

Learned some valuable lessons over the last few days and while I’ll have to take it easy for a few days, I should be back to 85% by the end of the week.

I've learned that lesson too- stay hydrated. And if you're getting dehydrated without strenuous physical activity yeah there's something wrong, so listen to your body.

Glad you are feeling better!

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
It is just a hard plastic. The heater in it broke years ago as did the base. SO i have it on a table on my deck with an electric thing that sits in the birdbath (in the cold weather) that keeps the water from freezing. The birds love it.

A few years ago I also had a nice ceramic one in the shape of a flower. I would clean it and bring it in for Winter so it would not crack. A few years ago I cleaned it and had it sitting on the hearth to dry. My cats were so interested in it that I filled it with water and now it is still there for them to drink out of. Yes they are spoiled.
Thanks for the info.... you're SUPPOSED to spoil the kitties!!!

Reactions: Ladyfan

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
I spoil the birds too :)
I spend a crap load of money on corn and birdseed every month on the birds and critters. Sunflower seeds ( it's on sale this week so I'm stocking up), bird seed mix with peanuts, and whole and cracked corn (4 to 1) mix for turkeys and if we're lucky deer.

I get yelled by chickadees and woodpeckers if I'm late getting the seeds out....

Reactions: Gee Wally

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I spend a crap load of money on corn and birdseed every month on the birds and critters. Sunflower seeds ( it's on sale this week so I'm stocking up), bird seed mix with peanuts, and whole and cracked corn (4 to 1) mix for turkeys and if we're lucky deer.

I get yelled by chickadees and woodpeckers if I'm late getting the seeds out....

Chickadees can be particularly demanding :nod:

Reactions: eightspokedb

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I put out lots of seeds, peanuts and suet cakes.

Last week the birds were loud in the morning. That's when I noticed that something or someone had knocked all 6 feeders down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad