Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Not the break out I was talking about. A break out would be 60-80 or more points. Another season in the 60's doesn't count as breakout. More like a rebound after his rough season last year.

What happens if his season he had last year continues? Impossible right? :sarcasm:

60-80+. Stop trying to be funny.

If that is the asking price, Habs are out. I doubt this info was leaked in terms of what the asking price is or what the conversations are.

Habs are likely trying to find other pieces to make it work and Ducks are open to more dialog. That's what I see happening. Might work, might not.
1718211443868.png

I don't understand how this is hard to grasp. You're saying 60-80 points would be breaking out but he literally has done that twice already. You can't say "60-80" and then "Another season in the 60's doesn't count".

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Not the break out I was talking about. A break out would be 60-80 or more points. Another season in the 60's doesn't count as breakout. More like a rebound after his rough season last year.

What happens if his season he had last year continues? Impossible right? :sarcasm:

60-80+. Stop trying to be funny.

If that is the asking price, Habs are out. I doubt this info was leaked in terms of what the asking price is or what the conversations are.

Habs are likely trying to find other pieces to make it work and Ducks are open to more dialog. That's what I see happening. Might work, might not.
/shrug the reported info said habs were unwilling to move Reinbacher/guhle +…. Sounds like that was the conversation

I don’t even think the owners would sign off on anything less

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The draft is weeks away and if anything is done, it will be there.

At this point, both GMs are unlikely to change their position because they both see it as a "want" then a "need".

In my world, you don't spend as much time pushing wants because they fail 95% of the time. Need on the other hand is a motivator...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
/shrug the reported info said habs were unwilling to move Reinbacher/guhle +…. Sounds like that was the conversation

I don’t even think the owners would sign off on anything less

I'll be shocked if it's Guhle.

Reinbacher? Risky to trade him before playing NHL games. Possible but our RD side becomes thin if we do. We didn't take Michkov and filled a RD hole. Doubt we flip the RD for a forward.

I'm not confident there will be a Zegras to Montreal trade at that price.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'll be shocked if it's Guhle.

Reinbacher? Risky to trade him before playing NHL games. Possible but our RD side becomes thin if we do. We didn't take Michkov and filled a RD hole. Doubt we flip the RD for a forward.

I'm not confident there will be a Zegras to Montreal trade at that price.

I’m not confident zegras is traded in the first place, and I’d say 0 percent chance of guhle/Reinbacher or 5th isn’t involved.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Zegras broke his ankle on a freak play and missed most of the season due to that. He also missed time due another injury and had a slow start, all of which seemed to be tied to his contract hold out.

Could injuries happen again? Sure. But that is a risk for any player. When he came back, he had 10 points in the final 13 games. That was playing on an awful ducks team depleted by injuries and players traded at the deadline (i.e., he didn't have top linemates).

Anything is possible. But you're focusing on the least likely scenario and suggesting the Zegras should be traded with his value determined on that basis (while ignoring the strong finish to the season). There is literally no reason for the ducks to value Zegras that, particularly given that Zegras is signed for two more years and is then a RFA.
Please stop using logic. That doesn’t fit his narrative and upsets him.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
View attachment 881922
I don't understand how this is hard to grasp. You're saying 60-80 points would be breaking out but he literally has done that twice already. You can't say "60-80" and then "Another season in the 60's doesn't count".

TBH, I'm not sure I'd even quantify 70 points as a breakout season for Zegras, as that'd only be 5 points more than his career high. 5 points over a season, on an improved team, is practically nothing except proof of how awful the team was before.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
If the ducks see improvement on the defensive side and decide to go with 2 top heavy lines as opposed to spreading the forward talent out I would bet he ends up around a ppg. It's not a big leap. Hopefully he gets physically stronger in the offseason.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
As much as I hate idea of acquiring Zegras, I think he is over rated. Still a lot of noise around Montreal
I actually think hes become underrated, hes got a lot of haters/people that want to talk him down... or devalue him due to the type of personality he has.

If you read the forums youd think he was borderline bust, but really all hes done in his 3 years in nhl is play 60+ point hockey on a terrible ducks team, with the exception of this injury ridden season .

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I actually think hes become underrated, hes got a lot of haters/people that want to talk him down... or devalue him due to the type of personality he has.

If you read the forums youd think he was borderline bust, but really all hes done in his 3 years in nhl is play 60+ point hockey on a terrible ducks team, with the exception of this injury ridden season .
Fans have to win trades rather than get equal value. And to do that they have to devalue the player they actually want their team to acquire to the point where they get him for pennies on the dollar. Same as it ever was.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

Zegras good player, just doesn't seem to be one of those guys who gets you through the playoffs. His physicality and will to win not what I am looking for.

Every playoff year is a little different. Once you get deep in playoffs, final 4, some years maybe final 8. Not much between the clubs in skill level. The team with will to win usually ends up with cup.

To give up that much to acquire Zegras, then his contract. He's not the guy I am looking for. I don't see necessary high compete level in him.

Boo Boo

Jan 31, 2013
Zegras good player, just doesn't seem to be one of those guys who gets you through the playoffs. His physicality and will to win not what I am looking for.

Every playoff year is a little different. Once you get deep in playoffs, final 4, some years maybe final 8. Not much between the clubs in skill level. The team with will to win usually ends up with cup.

To give up that much to acquire Zegras, then his contract. He's not the guy I am looking for. I don't see necessary high compete level in him.
Zegras is one of the most passionate players on the team - 0 question about his drive and will to win. That notion is entirely projection from outside fans.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

Its fine to not want him, or want to pay the price tag attached to him

But the claims that he doesnt have "will to win" or "lacks compete" is kind a false narrative... or at least no real evidence of that, outside of people saying " hes not a pv player" even tho Pv isnt actively moving him from everything posted.

If he lacked compete, i dont think you woulda seen him put as much effort in the dzone/back check as he did last season, and efforts in becoming a well rounded player. Outside fans dont want to talk about that, because that doesnt help their argument, instead theyll focus on his point total on his mostly injured season.... but they def didnt mind talking about his defense/play away from the puck when he was producing at his normal pace. Just fans moving goal posts mostly(sorry most of this is just a general statement not so much directing purely at you)

Im fine with other teams not wanting zegras for the price PV will want and should want.... thats fine... just say that. Im very happy to have Zegras on the roster and i think he should be 1 of the guys we build around up front. I think overtime hell prove a lot of people here wrong and hopefully thats in an anaheim jersey.

Ill partatke in the trade talks, because there is smoke there, no one really has any sort of read on how PV is as a GM... but as a GM he should be listening on everyone, if there is a chance to make the team better. But left over d prospects, a late 1st and another garbage piece arnt gong to accomplish that goal.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Its fine to not want him, or want to pay the price tag attached to him

But the claims that he doesnt have "will to win" or "lacks compete" is kind a false narrative... or at least no real evidence of that, outside of people saying " hes not a pv player" even tho Pv isnt actively moving him from everything posted.

If he lacked compete, i dont think you woulda seen him put as much effort in the dzone/back check as he did last season, and efforts in becoming a well rounded player. Outside fans dont want to talk about that, because that doesnt help their argument, instead theyll focus on his point total on his mostly injured season.... but they def didnt mind talking about his defense/play away from the puck when he was producing at his normal pace. Just fans moving goal posts mostly(sorry most of this is just a general statement not so much directing purely at you)

Im fine with other teams not wanting zegras for the price PV will want and should want.... thats fine... just say that. Im very happy to have Zegras on the roster and i think he should be 1 of the guys we build around up front. I think overtime hell prove a lot of people here wrong and hopefully thats in an anaheim jersey.

Ill partatke in the trade talks, because there is smoke there, no one really has any sort of read on how PV is as a GM... but as a GM he should be listening on everyone, if there is a chance to make the team better. But left over d prospects, a late 1st and another garbage piece arnt gong to accomplish that goal.
So according to you, the last season:

He back checked more?

He played 200' hockey instead of spectacular hockey?

Then maybe it explains why he had 15 pts in 31 games instead of his normal pace of +/- 60 pts/80 games.

He stopped cheating but became an ordinary offensive contributor in the process?

Plus, he managed to build a bad reputation for himself.

I think there isn't smoke without fire with him.

So keep him, I'm ok with that.

Anyway, it's better for you guys as he's on the lowest of his value actually.

And in this context, MTL will certainly not pay a premium for him.

Problem is : does he have what it takes to get his career back on the right tracks?

Will he ever be a good player on a good team or he has to chose between being a hot dog on a bad team or an ordinary offensive contributor when he plays actual NHL kind of hockey?

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
If he lacked compete, i dont think you woulda seen him put as much effort in the dzone/back check as he did last season, and efforts in becoming a well rounded player.

I also don't think he'd have tried to play through his LBI at the beginning of the season if he weren't someone who gave a crap. He has his flaws for sure (how many 23 yo players are finished products), but if he were truly as undesirable as some folks around here say, there wouldn't be a zillion threads about him.

It's also telling that it's never Ducks fans trying to pawn him off in a package for a star, and that it's almost always other teams' fans trying to talk him down to justify getting him for cheap. A lot of other smallish skilled guys with question marks are constantly being offered up for upgrades by fans of the big teams around here who see them as not part of the core and think they can just add a few scraps to get a superstar, but with Zegras it's the other way around where other fans are always trying to figure out a way to get him for the same expendable pieces.

I really don't get why people around here overrate mid to late 1sts. Outside of exceptionally deep drafts, a mid to late 1st has a very low probability of yielding a better offensive player than Zegras, and a lot of them end up as not much of anything. Hell, even picking in the top 10 a lot of players don't pan out ... yeah you might get a star or something in the top 5, but you're more likely to get a Ryan Strome. And more times than folks want to admit, you get an outright bust.

And this stuff about "what wins in the playoffs," ... how the hell would we know? He hasn't played in the playoffs yet. There have been small skill guys who aren't necessarily bruisers/grinders who have done just fine, even won Conn Smythe trophies. And I've also seen bruising, grinding teams with tons of supposed heart lose repeatedly because they just didn't have anyone creative out there and just couldn't generate any offense. Even this year, there's been a few teams that came up short not because of a lack of grit but perhaps one more skill guy.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
Can tell by his play. It's easy with experience. He doesn't have the compete level to get you to a cup. Nor the physicality of two months playoff marathon. He's complimentary player. Good piece, but not foundation piece
i had no idea no skilled player has ever won the cup. habs should move Caulfield, small skater like that won't get far in the playoffs.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Can tell by his play. It's easy with experience. He doesn't have the compete level to get you to a cup. Nor the physicality of two months playoff marathon. He's complimentary player. Good piece, but not foundation piece
Come on man, you're embarrassing the rest of us Montreal fans. Zegras is 23. He's still has runway to get to his peak self. Making proclamations like he's just a complimentary piece is no better than the geniuses that declared Slafkovsky a bust.

You can recognize the quality of the player but be reluctant to pay tge price for any number of reasons. Sometimes there just isn't a fit. And sometimes we fans like to think we're smarter than the gms.

I personally don't see a fit based on each teams needs but I don't feel the need to try to devalue Zegras.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad