Value of: Trevor Zegras this offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
[climbs aboard soapbox] This is some lazy, uninspired reporting by someone whose name has become synonymous with exactly that. Each sentence contains "I think." Credit to him for making the call to Verbeek, but Verbeek was justifiably tight-lipped. What LeBrun thinks is immaterial. If you're a reporter, report what you know. If your source won't tell you what you want to hear, report that. But this rumor-mongering and speculation are useless. It's just a flailing hack trying yet again to add cred to his name by inventing news where there is none. [/soapbox]
The reality though is that most fans can't get enough of it and will only start complaining once someone reaches Eklund levels. Such is the nature of the beast.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

lakeshirts37

Jun 25, 2019
So the Ducks are going to trade an NHL defensmen for a prospect forward to help our offense just to go trade one of our best offensive players for a defensmen? Simple answer is no. The Ducks aren't looking to trade him and anyone who says they are has something to gain by the rumor.
@coldtakesexposed

000x000

Nov 11, 2023
I'm not as high on Zegras as some of the other fans but there's really no reason to rush a trade. He had an injury riddled season this season and looked pretty disappointing during the WC's. Unless a team is willing to overlook those things and make an offer for what Zegras is capable of (more than likely a 70-80+ point player) just hang onto him and hope he has a healthy season next season.

If Zegras is disgruntled and wants out of Anaheim (which is a rumor I read yesterday) then it kinda changes things.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I'm not as high on Zegras as some of the other fans but there's really no reason to rush a trade. He had an injury riddled season this season and looked pretty disappointing during the WC's. Unless a team is willing to overlook those things and make an offer for what Zegras is capable of (more than likely a 70-80+ point player) just hang onto him and hope he has a healthy season next season.

If Zegras is disgruntled and wants out of Anaheim (which is a rumor I read yesterday) then it kinda changes things.
Haven't ever heard about any discontent on his part so I'd be careful trusting that one. And quite honestly, GMPV has been mum on the situation as well. The only thing I would bet on is that the price is high if anyone wants him. If they aren't willing to pay the price, Zegras will be in camp in the fall and that may be the best outcome of all.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Meh he’s 23 year old player , it’s still very possible and even likely he bumps up. Also we’re both admitting that he had a rough season due to contract negotiations/injuries and maybe just not excelling, which impacts his average.

I don’t think it’s fair take to say caufield is a 60 point player because that’s his average at 23

Nick Suzuki made his bump up to 70 at 24
Matt tkachuk had his bump at 24

I think if a team is trying to get him at a 60 point value, then he won’t be moved and there isn’t really a point to move him
Huh? Tkachuk had 34 goals and 77 points as a 21 year old while playing elite competition on the Backlund line and starting in the D zone all the time. Zegras gets crushed by 3rd liners. There is no comparable here. Suzuki has been playing top competition since he came into the league while playing with very little talent. Again, not comparable. Some comparable are Ribeiro, Yakupov, poor man's Duchene. These are guys used like Zegras has been at the same age.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Huh? Tkachuk had 34 goals and 77 points as a 21 year old while playing elite competition on the Backlund line and starting in the D zone all the time. Zegras gets crushed by 3rd liners. There is no comparable here. Suzuki has been playing top competition since he came into the league while playing with very little talent. Again, not comparable. Some comparable are Ribeiro, Yakupov, poor man's Duchene. These are guys used like Zegras has been at the same age.
Interesting that Zegras in the 3rd highest PPG player from that draft trailing only Hughes and Boldy. And that's with an injury plagued year last year.

Reactions: MCB and Ducks DVM

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
And just ahead of Caufield. Imagine that.
Flames fan. I hate the Habs. Neutral on the Ducks. I don't love either guy, but I'm taking Caufield 10 times out of 10 ahead of Zegras. I like guys who actually contribute to winning. Like Suzuki for the Habs or McTavish for you guys.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Flames fan. I hate the Habs. Neutral on the Ducks. I don't love either guy, but I'm taking Caufield 10 times out of 10 ahead of Zegras. I like guys who actually contribute to winning. Like Suzuki for the Habs or McTavish for you guys.
I don't disagree which is why GMPV is allegedly taking calls on him. Not a GMPV player IMO. But there are teams out there who need scoring and don't want to play the way the PV wants the Ducks to play that are probably very interested in him. Will there be a trade? Not likely IMO but we'll know in 3 weeks.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
you can tell when someone isn't arguing in good faith when you're comparing Zegras to f***ing Yakupov, dude who's career high is 33 points. you literally don't know what you're talking about lol

by winning, you mean winning 3 more games this season? lol

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I’m talking about bumps in production at ages not styles or comparables lol

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's all good. All I know is there has been conversations between the Ducks and Habs. I'm sure they are not as far apart as us fans are because they keep talking. I don't think this is some HF board narrative where Hughes is offering a quantity package the Ducks don't like but he keeps calling offering a quantity package. haha.

I just asked the Habs on our boards how they would react if it was Hutson and the Jets 1st. It's not getting good reactions. Most if not all don't like it but I just asked that question. I suspect that reply stays consistent.

So yeah, if the Ducks and Habs keep talking, WTF are they talking about and what players? My gut tells me Hughes is trying to make another deal to bridge the gap (like the Dach/13th/Romanov) trade. He's talking to other teams and circling back to the Ducks to see if assets he gets from other teams is something the Ducks want. Something like that. I doubt very much that pieces like the Habs 5th, Guhle, and Reinbacher are at play.
Sure, and the discussions may lead to something more like the Perrault/Mysak trade than a Zegras for lesser pieces. I don't think Ducks fans would be happy with a Hutson and Jets 1st for Zegras since it doesn't address any needs. Hutson, while a great prospect, is a small LHD. Ducks need more physical RHD, since Luneau is our only legit RD prospect and already have Mintyukov/Zellweger/LaCombe as young NHL ready LD and Hinds on the way.

IF #5 is on the table for Zegras, it'll be a draft day trade pending who's available at 3 (if they are seriously talking and the pick is on the table, it could be who adds what pieces). If Hawks and Ducks take some combo of Demidov and Lindstrom, that means a one of the highly ranked D are available at 5. If Lev and Silayev go top 3, then Lindstrom/Demidov are available at 5 (probably Lindstrom). They could be talking about small adds on either side. The average draft has 3 players in the top 10 better/more valuable than Zegras (the #1 pick is almost always one of them, and last year's draft might be an anomaly because it was stacked). He was drafted 9 and has improved his stock since then. He won't be traded for a pick lower than what he was selected at.

That said, I'm not sure Zegras is the right guy to target for Montreal. Yeah he's friends with and plays well with Caufield, but Montreal needs a legit 1C and let Suzuki be the matchup, 2 way 2C. Zegras would be a good 2C on a team that has a 1C like Bergeron or Kopitar... guys that are matchup 1C. Zegras has improved his defense, but even if he works on it I doubt he'll be much more than average defensively but can really drive offense when he's not the focus of the other team's strategy. The other problem on the Ducks is that Zegras looks a lot better at C than he does on the wing. Ducks are loaded with centers and Zegras is the most logical piece to move (marketing darling for any team that gets him, 2 60+ point seasons, potentially 10 years of team control still).

Reactions: ohcomeonref

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sure, and the discussions may lead to something more like the Perrault/Mysak trade than a Zegras for lesser pieces. I don't think Ducks fans would be happy with a Hutson and Jets 1st for Zegras since it doesn't address any needs. Hutson, while a great prospect, is a small LHD. Ducks need more physical RHD, since Luneau is our only legit RD prospect and already have Mintyukov/Zellweger/LaCombe as young NHL ready LD and Hinds on the way.

IF #5 is on the table for Zegras, it'll be a draft day trade pending who's available at 3 (if they are seriously talking and the pick is on the table, it could be who adds what pieces). If Hawks and Ducks take some combo of Demidov and Lindstrom, that means a one of the highly ranked D are available at 5. If Lev and Silayev go top 3, then Lindstrom/Demidov are available at 5 (probably Lindstrom). They could be talking about small adds on either side. The average draft has 3 players in the top 10 better/more valuable than Zegras (the #1 pick is almost always one of them, and last year's draft might be an anomaly because it was stacked). He was drafted 9 and has improved his stock since then. He won't be traded for a pick lower than what he was selected at.

That said, I'm not sure Zegras is the right guy to target for Montreal. Yeah he's friends with and plays well with Caufield, but Montreal needs a legit 1C and let Suzuki be the matchup, 2 way 2C. Zegras would be a good 2C on a team that has a 1C like Bergeron or Kopitar... guys that are matchup 1C. Zegras has improved his defense, but even if he works on it I doubt he'll be much more than average defensively but can really drive offense when he's not the focus of the other team's strategy. The other problem on the Ducks is that Zegras looks a lot better at C than he does on the wing. Ducks are loaded with centers and Zegras is the most logical piece to move (marketing darling for any team that gets him, 2 60+ point seasons, potentially 10 years of team control still).
A better take then "mine is bigger then yours"...

I already mention my concern about Zegras. Nothing stops him from demanding the moon as RFA and then signing a one year deal before walking off. That is a hell of a risk for 5th OA.

Our situation is a bit weird in that we have an 2C in Dach who may really land up as a 1C. Last year preseason and two games was a glimpse into why he is a 3OA with size and attitude. The management is extremely high on him so he's not going anywhere.

What now? We got a 1C and another potentially even better 1C...and we got Zegras. He's too expensive as a 3C and he's not likely to displace Suzuki/Dach. Both of those guys are seen as lifers on the Habs so they are going nowhere.

Winger?

Like all fans, I love his offensive wow factor but we are talking about a cornerstone that has to fit the overall team strategy. 5th OA is a pretty steep price and potentially a high end center in Lindstrome OR offesnive dynamo in Demidov OR one of two franchise defenseman WILL be on the board. That is a heck of choice now one must make for one of those, AND cost control for several years. (We can't ignore that when Dach/Guhle come knocking for a long, career defining contract.)

Yes, I know they are magic beans that no one knows for sure how they will develop, or if they are capable of 60 points, or if they are top 2 defenseman, but it is what it is and the usual probability that they will develop.

To trade for Guhle? NOT going to happen. 26th and Hutson? High risk trade for Anaheim AND the Habs. We really don't know yet if we got a 60-70 point offensive dynamo nor does Anaheim know if they got a shrinking piniata. Reinbacher? We need an RHD...BUT if Levshunov lands on our lap, which I highly doubt, there may be some common ground.

There is a lot of speculation and smoke, but in the end, realistically, I don't see the Z trade as a reality. The only way that it's remotely possible is that there is a bigger rift with Z then we know OR there is a lower ask (which makes no sense) Or there is a higher evaluation of one of our players by Anaheim that none of us thinks is normal (Mailioux? X?). Or we get an RHD gift from the Gods.

Even if he is "stolen" for a relatively lower value, again, where does he fit?

Then to top it all, there are other young top 6 forwards that teams may want to move for less cost or better fit then Z.

Last edited:
Reactions: lwvs84

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Fair about the Hutson/1st. I will have to trust Ducks fans on what your team needs are.

5th, Guhle, Reinbacher is not on the table. I feel this is a accurate statement from both Habs fans and our actual management.

Habs need top 6 and PP talent. Suzuki and Dach are perfectly fine as our top 2 centers. Dach going down early last season was very deflating. He was playing very well in preseason and the 1st few games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

As time moves forward, I think both Zegras and Caufield end up similar talent. I like Caufield a lot because he has 30+ goal ability but Zegras has lots of skill. You put him with a real top 2C who is physical and I think you get the results you are looking for. Zegras is not a full time center for me.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
According to Arpon Basu, it would take a package that includes Reinbacher+ or Guhle+ to acquire Zegras and Montreal apparently aren’t willing to do that.

yet*

If they are discussing that means either Montreal is trying to get Anaheim to add sweeteners on their side, or maybe take away the +(or lower it depending what the + is)

Would be kinda funny if PV

Trades drysdale + 25 2nd for gauthier
Then traded zegras for guhle/Reinbacher + 25 2nd

Basically it would be
Zegras + drysdale + 2025 2nd
For
Gauthier + guhle/Reinbacher + 2025 2nd

I wonder if Montreal circles back at draft if the draft ends up with lindstrom/Demidov going to 4, and Levshunov is on the board at 5. Guhle / reinbacher or 5th overall is who Pv should ask for

Last edited:

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
yet*

If they are discussing that means either Montreal is trying to get Anaheim to add sweeteners on their side, or maybe take away the +(or lower it depending what the + is)

Basically it would be
For

I wonder if Montreal circles back at draft if the draft ends up with lindstrom/Demidov going to 4, and Levshunov is on the board at 5. Guhle / reinbacher and 5th overall is who Pv should ask for
It would be the worst trade in the history of the NHL. Zegras doesn't have this kind of value..... Unless you believe that Caufield for your 3rd OV + Gauthier is fair?

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
It would be the worst trade in the history of the NHL. Zegras doesn't have this kind of value..... Unless you believe that Caufield for your 3rd OV + Gauthier is fair?

Meant or

Basically 1 of
5th overall/Reinbacher or guhle needs to be involved

Reactions: EveryDay

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Meant or

Basically 1 of
5th overall/Reinbacher or guhle needs to be involved
This make way more sense now! Honestly, I'm not sure I would pull the trigger on Zegras for that kind of return. I believe MTL will pick who's left between Demidov/Lindstrom/Levshunov.

I think the Ducks are going to trade him to a team that really need to bolster their center line like Boston or Carolina.

Necas for Zegras or Carlo + for Zegras

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
According to Arpon Basu, it would take a package that includes Reinbacher+ or Guhle+ to acquire Zegras and Montreal apparently aren’t willing to do that.

I think Reinbacher is the type of young RHD the Ducks would need to make a deal like this make sense for their side. I can understand if he's not someone the Habs are going to part with, but that likely means there's just no deal to be made.

Reactions: duckpuck

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
yet*

Basically it would be
For

I wonder if Montreal circles back at draft if the draft ends up with lindstrom/Demidov going to 4, and Levshunov is on the board at 5. Guhle / reinbacher or 5th overall is who Pv should ask for
There was some rumors 2 years ago that PV said privately that he didn’t think he could win with Drysdale and Zegras. Then they had the whole contract negotiation debacle and not long after Drysdale is gone and Zegras is rumored to be on the block.

PV did very well on the Drysdale trade. Gauthier is going to be a beast. I also don’t think Guhle is available. He’s already a big part of our D and no one can replace him right now.

I’ve also seen Reinbacher live twice in Laval. He’s NHL ready. He was a step ahead of everyone else, including Mailloux. He reminds me a bit of Pietrangelo the way he play, skate, move the puck and close the gap.

One of the few scenario where I see Montreal moving on from one of the two above is where both Demidov and Lindstrom are gone at 4. Then maybe Montreal could offer either Reinbacher with a small + or 5OA is PV prefer whoever RD is on the board at the time.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Fair about the Hutson/1st. I will have to trust Ducks fans on what your team needs are.

5th, Guhle, Reinbacher is not on the table. I feel this is a accurate statement from both Habs fans and our actual management.

Habs need top 6 and PP talent. Suzuki and Dach are perfectly fine as our top 2 centers. Dach going down early last season was very deflating. He was playing very well in preseason and the 1st few games.
Keeping the 5th might be the best option. Lindstrom might be available and Iginla will most likely be available. I think the two closest to guaranteed to go after Celebrini and before 5th are Lev and Demidov (and even those are not 100%). If he's over the injuries, Lindstrom projects as a monster top 6 forward and might be a good net front at his size.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
There was some rumors 2 years ago that PV said privately that he didn’t think he could win with Drysdale and Zegras. Then they had the whole contract negotiation debacle and not long after Drysdale is gone and Zegras is rumored to be on the block.

PV did very well on the Drysdale trade. Gauthier is going to be a beast. I also don’t think Guhle is available. He’s already a big part of our D and no one can replace him right now.

I’ve also seen Reinbacher live twice in Laval. He’s NHL ready. He was a step ahead of everyone else, including Mailloux. He reminds me a bit of Pietrangelo the way he play, skate, move the puck and close the gap.

One of the few scenario where I see Montreal moving on from one of the two above is where both Demidov and Lindstrom are gone at 4. Then maybe Montreal could offer either Reinbacher with a small + or 5OA is PV prefer whoever RD is on the board at the time.
This makes a lot of sense.

Realistically, I could see two trades scenarios...Reinbacher for Zegras (1-1 no adds) or 5OA for Zegras (1-1 no adds). The latter scenario would make sense if Montreal thought Zegras was better than any potential player available at 5OA. Waiting to see who is available at 5OA may not work for one or both teams because it ties up their assets and prevents them from making alternative deals (especially Anaheim with Zegras).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

I think that’s prob a likely scenario…. Montreal will prob need to wait and see how the draft goes down.

I def could see PV really liking Reinbacher and guhle as fits here.

I think if that draft scenario plays out montreal is basically deciding on who the 2 best are out of

Reinbacher vs levshunov(or Dickinson) vs guhle
Montreal prob going to have to move some young dmen at some point why not aim for a top 6 forward with a lot of untapped potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad