Player Discussion Trevor Zegras : Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deuce22

Jun 17, 2013
SoCal & Idaho
This is what journalism has devolved into. Clicks over accuracy. Terry playing hero puck stories would draw crickets. Z as uncoachable gets clicks. Same reason Leafs/Lakers/Cowboys get way more attention than they deserve.

Reactions: GermanRocket7

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
why is it always Zegras has to add dimensions to his game? why not Mctavish needs learn to not take terrible penalties AND put up more than 50 points AND be better defensively? Why isn't it Terry needs to learn to play with his teammates and not try to do everything himself? Why does Zegras get all the attention that he needs to completely change as a player?

The media is doing it's best to force a narrative on him and it's just so gross.

Also i'm so tired of people using the Ducks traded his best friend; has no other GM ever traded a players best friend before? is this really the first time in NHL history that it's happened that they have to bring it up constantly?
This! Z always gets the hate when Mctavish has just as many, if not more, deficiencies in his game and yet Mctavish doesn’t get the crap Z gets. The reasons you listed are painfully obvious with respect to Mac’s game, and idiots like Seravelli or however you spell that dumbasses name never mention Mac being traded. Whatever. I’m over the Z wild speculation and personally would keep Z over Mac if I had a say in it. Hopefully we just keep both and they both become all stars.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
why is it always Zegras has to add dimensions to his game? why not Mctavish needs learn to not take terrible penalties AND put up more than 50 points AND be better defensively? Why isn't it Terry needs to learn to play with his teammates and not try to do everything himself? Why does Zegras get all the attention that he needs to completely change as a player?

The media is doing it's best to force a narrative on him and it's just so gross.

Also i'm so tired of people using the Ducks traded his best friend; has no other GM ever traded a players best friend before? is this really the first time in NHL history that it's happened that they have to bring it up constantly?
Cronin also did him no favours last summer getting on every podcast imaginable and talking about how he needs to do more of this and less of that

Reactions: Boo Boo

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
Cronin also did him no favours last summer getting on every podcast imaginable and talking about how he needs to do more of this and less of that
You say that as if you think Cronin sought out platforms on which to say that he found Zegras deficient in several areas. Cronin was on podcasts because he was a newly hired rookie NHL head coach. And he was asked about Zegras because Zegras is considered the most interesting player on the Ducks by the hockey world. I suppose Cronin could have just declined to give any kind of real answer, but the rumors would have started anyway and been just as strong as soon as Zegras got benched for a period.

Reactions: gilfaizon

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
This! Z always gets the hate when Mctavish has just as many, if not more, deficiencies in his game and yet Mctavish doesn’t get the crap Z gets. The reasons you listed are painfully obvious with respect to Mac’s game, and idiots like Seravelli or however you spell that dumbasses name never mention Mac being traded. Whatever. I’m over the Z wild speculation and personally would keep Z over Mac if I had a say in it. Hopefully we just keep both and they both become all stars.
If we are being fair, McTavish also isn’t a media whore, wasn’t on the cover of a video game, didn’t get an exception from the league to appear at an All Star game, and didn’t have back to back 60 point seasons on his ELC.

Verbeek did both himself and Zegras no favors with his media comments.

Agreed we should just keep both.

Reactions: KelVarnsen

91Fedorov

John (Gibson) 3:16
Dec 30, 2013
If we are being fair, McTavish also isn’t a media whore, wasn’t on the cover of a video game, didn’t get an exception from the league to appear at an All Star game, and didn’t have back to back 60 point seasons on his ELC.

Verbeek did both himself and Zegras no favors with his media comments.

Agreed we should just keep both.
Looking back, that probably didn't help his likeability with other fan bases. It wasn't really a good move, PR wise.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
You say that as if you think Cronin sought out platforms on which to say that he found Zegras deficient in several areas. Cronin was on podcasts because he was a newly hired rookie NHL head coach. And he was asked about Zegras because Zegras is considered the most interesting player on the Ducks by the hockey world. I suppose Cronin could have just declined to give any kind of real answer, but the rumors would have started anyway and been just as strong as soon as Zegras got benched for a period.
I wasn't referring to rumours, more the intense scrutiny of his game relative to other players.

And you're right he could've done exactly that - or given a generic, but factual, response like there's no young forward in the game who couldn't stand to improve some defensively - but didn't really and that didn't really help things. Especially with all the stuff going on with Z last summer, he did nothing to help calm down the chatter.

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I wasn't referring to rumours, more the intense scrutiny of his game relative to other players.

And you're right he could've done exactly that - or given a generic, but factual, response like there's no young forward in the game who couldn't stand to improve some defensively - but didn't really and that didn't really help things. Especially with all the stuff going on with Z last summer, he did nothing to help calm down the chatter.
As a coach, why should he care about the chatter? That's not his job to manage. He was honest but not inflammatory. I don't see anything wrong with the comments Cronin made.

Reactions: FiveHoleTickler

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
As a coach, why should he care about the chatter? That's not his job to manage. He was honest but not inflammatory. I don't see anything wrong with the comments Cronin made.
As the coach of the team, I think he should care a lot about it. Agree to disagree

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
As the coach of the team, I think he should care a lot about it. Agree to disagree
The external stuff is nearly irrelevant for a coach. He shouldn't exacerbate it and he needs to be aware of how public comments might come across to his player, but nothing he said about Zegras was wrong or derogatory. It was all constructive criticism that was discussed with Zegras privately.

Zegras clearly invites attention. Nothing Cronin has said has affected the level of attention.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
The external stuff is nearly irrelevant for a coach. He shouldn't exacerbate it and he needs to be aware of how public comments might come across to his player, but nothing he said about Zegras was wrong or derogatory. It was all constructive criticism that was discussed with Zegras privately.

Zegras clearly invites attention. Nothing Cronin has said has affected the level of attention.
Never said any of it was wrong or inaccurate and that's great if he talked to him already privately (although he admitted he hadn’t met him at all yet on a podcast he did with the athletic in early July of last year) . Doesn't mean he needs to talk about it a bunch to the media, like even you said, he absolutely could've said very little.

It shouldn't have mattered to him if the podcasters were nudging him for more details and more colourful responses, he could've made the choice to not say a whole lot, which would've been preferable, but he chose not to, repeatedly.

Last edited:

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
I would not want to see Zegras traded. He is a legitimate 70+ point guy; he hit 60+ points twice.

Except for his skating speed, he can pretty much do whatever he wants offensively. If he had MacKinnon/McDavid speed trading wouldn’t even be a discussion.

There is probably no one that we could get that has anything close to what Zegras can potentially bring. The Ducks would be foolish to move him now without seeing what 24/25 brings.

Even if he isn’t a core piece, only an idiot trades when value is down and cap isn’t an issue. We ain’t going anywhere next year with or without him.

John

Edit added: Also, if we move him, Zegras will torch us so much we would rather see Loui Erickson.

Last edited:

bracer028

Apr 18, 2018
I would not want to see Zegras traded. He is a legitimate 70+ point guy; he hit 60+ points twice.

Except for his skating speed, he can pretty much do whatever he wants offensively. If he had MacKinnon/McDavid speed trading wouldn’t even be a discussion.

There is probably no one that we could get that has anything close to what Zegras can potentially bring. The Ducks would be foolish to move him now without seeing what 24/25 brings.

Even if he isn’t a core piece, only an idiot trades when value is down and cap isn’t an issue. We ain’t going anywhere next year with or without him.

John

Edit added: Also, if we move him, Zegras will torch us so much we would rather see Loui Erickson.
This team has a habit of holding on to players for too long

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015

John

And his biggest weakness is his strength which will naturally develop and is also something he can work on to improve.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Maybe Verbeek knows Chicago is leaning towards passing on Demidov and he's only listening in on offers and seeing if someone overpays but if not they just keep everybody and build a stacked forward group including Zegras.

Carlsson, Zegras, Demidov, Cutter, McTavish and Terry is a pretty nice top 6.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Maybe Verbeek knows Chicago is leaning towards passing on Demidov and he's only listening in on offers and seeing if someone overpays but if not they just keep everybody and build a stacked forward group including Zegras.

Carlsson, Zegras, Demidov, Cutter, McTavish and Terry is a pretty nice top 6.
Or 3 lines of matchup nightmares. Pair a bigger guy and a smaller guy, something like Carlsson-Demidov, McTavish-Terry, Zegras-Gauthier and fill in with value complimentary players like Vatrano is now and hopefully Colangelo will be in the near future. Then stack the lines if you need to at the end of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad