Confirmed with Link: Travis Konecny Signs Eight Year Extension ($8.75M AAV w/ Six Years of NMC and 2 Years of M-NTC)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Briere is over his head? Got (2) 1sts and (2) 2nds for Provorov and some cap room.
Got rid of TDA for a 5th and Rizzo.
Moved out Hayes, had to retain but got a 6th, didn't have to pay to dump him.
Hathaway only 30+ player added.

Gauthier? I'll wait for more details to come out. Note that he grew up in Arizona. Even worse he's a Pens fan. Drysdale and high 2nd probably best he could get (especially if Gauthier insisted on trade to West Coast).

Laughton. Probably the one mistake, though I doubt they were ever offered a 1st and 2nd, given his value, that would have only been in context of a much larger deal. Actual trade value is probably high 2nd (i.e. late 1st with value going the other direction).

Seeler, more value as Drysdale's (and maybe Bonk) caddy if only offered a 4th.

Risto, stuck with that salary, didn't panic and package picks to move him out.

Deslauriers, now past NTC, I expect he'll be quietly moved at some point, was benched 2nd half of last season.

We are back to "just one mistake" everyone!

While we still somehow have years to go to recover from Fletcher, who only maybe made one mistake!

Are we sure there have only been the 1.5 mistakes since 2018?

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Briere is over his head? Got (2) 1sts and (2) 2nds for Provorov and some cap room.

Laughton. Probably the one mistake, though I doubt they were ever offered a 1st and 2nd, given his value, that would have only been in context of a much larger deal. Actual trade value is probably high 2nd (i.e. late 1st with value going the other direction).
Interesting that you subtract negative additions from Laughton's trade value in an effort to downplay the mistake of not trading him, but keep forgetting to include the subtractions on the return for Provorov to seemingly play up the return.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Gauthier? I'll wait for more details to come out. Note that he grew up in Arizona. Even worse he's a Pens fan. Drysdale and high 2nd probably best he could get (especially if Gauthier insisted on trade to West Coast).
The best we could get for Gauthier was a player whose value was one high 2nd round pick less than Gauthier's, plus a high second? After the hype train of a world Juniors he just had?

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
You do not need any details for Cutter. The Flyers had an opportunity to sign him. They didn't. They phucked up. Why need to defend everything no matter how obvious it is they are bad at their job? Any proof or link the JD deal was the best he could do? They had complete tunnel vision with that trade.

Also took on 2 years of dead cap with the Ivan trade. Also added 2 years of RYJO. You left those 2 important pieces out.

Well you can doubt all you like in regard to Laughton. Bottom line is he should have been moved. What will your stance be when he is re-signed next summer is what I am looking forward too.

Risto he didnt pancic. No one wants him even with sweeteners or incentives. He is damaged goods until proven otherwise.

ND will be quietly moved. To where? No one wants that turd.

GH was no need to give an ext.

Hayes and Tony D you are giving kudo to. Good stuff. Carolina felt sorry for Danny so they gave up a guy they had zero intention on signing. Danny also allowed the coach to tank the value of their only all star representative last season.
Cutter was an NCAA player. They have the leverage. You want to show them who’s the boss, go ahead, but you completely screwed up your “rebuild.” Good job, Danny and Jonesy.

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
My thought process devolved into this last night, and basically:

Since Snider died, Comcast has just looked at Spectacor and said "OK, we need business people to handle the arena/land/promotions dealings and the hockey guys will take care of themselves."

And "the hockey guys" were essentially Clarkie and Homer as the de facto liassions to Scott and Camillo in the Hextall->Fletcher times. Then I think corporate realized it had turned to a trainwreck last spring and finally had to ask them to remove Fletcher and told Scott and Camillo to step down. That department had already probably been on probation anyway, what with the whole "hire a consulting firm to find a coach because we're tired of paying millions to coaches who don't work here" thing.

So they bring in their new clueless corporate goof in Hilferty, tell Clarke and Homer it's time to step back (whether that means anything) and "the hockey guys" just shift to the next-closest ex-player apparatchiks in the building. So we get a "triumvirate" likely with a loose mandate to "get this department making money like it used to!!!" without a clear power structure and a corporate boss who is just kinda taking their advice for everything (once again) and it's just the same goofy shit. No accountability or vision, just a bunch of Comcast middle management.

So, I mean, they need to build a clear, structured hierarchy and have a senior Actual Hockey Person from outside the camp at the top of it. The club's interests and the arena/promotions management need to be handled with the same seriousness by separate people who are on equal footing.

Right now, the person who intrigues me the most is Jones. He's the one who needs to assert himself at some point. Briere seems over his head, and Torts is a strong personality who might have the upper hand on him. Jones needs to make determinations and be willing to fire Briere in the next 2-3 years if Danny doesn't start pulling miracles out of his ass. Michkov hits that ice and the clock starts to tick, you cannot f*** around and waste time with a potential franchise player on your hands. And I don't think Jones has the nuts to do that--because if he doesn't, there's really no one above him who will know that it's time to fire him.
I love everything you wrote! But i have zero faith in Jones. He is the most flyerish hire of them all. I have more faith in Tortorella cause he comes from outside and he wants to win. He dont care for alumnis or flyers feelings. But his approach how he thinks he can win is stupid. So all in all we are f***ed!

Ironmanrulez

#nEvErrEbUiLd #nEvErpLaYyOuTh #nEverpLaYsKiLL
Jul 1, 2010
Cologne, Germany
I mean capfriendly is no more so idk who the comparables but he's making $5.5 million now I think? I don't think that contract was bad and he got a couple million raise. He's like a PPG player on another team but he's surrounded by shit here. I think the contract is about where it should be. Probably could have been a little less but also could see him getting more on the open market. The biggest issue is just thay we should have traded him to get more assets and stock the cupboards. I suppose they can still trade him now but I doubt they will.
Konecny got 6 years of full NMC and a deal a bit over market price. Its not about him. If we would be a contender the next 3 years it would be fine. But this contract isnt tradeable for 9 years and we need to resign other players and acquire #1 Center #1 dman and #1 goalie. Konecny is a plus player but not a cornerstone. This contract is a contract for a cornerstone....

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Cutter was an NCAA player. They have the leverage. You want to show them who’s the boss, go ahead, but you completely screwed up your “rebuild.” Good job, Danny and Jonesy.
I don't think Cutter would have stayed in college for the next 2 seasons tbh with you. NIL money ain't anything close to college football, and he clearly wants to go to the NHL. I probably would have called his bluff

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
So, RW is the only real position of organizational depth we have. After getting over the “whyyyyyyyyy”, what does this say about the organization’s thoughts on Michkov at center?

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So, RW is the only real position of organizational depth we have. After getting over the “whyyyyyyyyy”, what does this say about the organization’s thoughts on Michkov at center?
He's a LH shot playing RW who probably has the skill set to handle center, other than his skating and maybe size on defense.

My suspicion is they'll mix and match in TC and see who fits and in what role.
Tippett and Foerster spent a lot of time at LW last season.
Cates and Laughton are better suited to LW but have started at C.
TK, Brink and Hathaway were mostly RW.

FromOyVey2Matvei

Jul 15, 2023
Philadelphia
They shoulda called his bluff and had him remain in the pipeline
1000 times this.

If Drysdale + a 2nd was actually the best you can do after worlds, you confidently take things to the 2024 draft, if not further. There’s no world where a guy who was mad at the Flyers for money reasons is gonna cost himself multiple more millions of dollars out of spite.

This most recent draft had maybe 2 forwards better than Cutter in it. One of which was a Russian. The Ducks took Beckett Sennecke at 3 and they’ll be lucky if he develops anywhere close to as well as Cutter has so far. Gun to their heads, I bet they would’ve traded that pick for Cutter.

But we’ll never know, because we prioritized controlling the narrative and keeping the feel good vibes of an above expectations season going over getting uncomfortable and doing what’s best for the long term future of the team.

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
I see people laughing at my post about cutter. Above my post someone claimed he was better than all but two players in the last draft.

I think he will be an nhl player with a good career. But my comment on him not being that good comes from people thinking he’s going to be a stud. I don’t not believe this. He’s a big fast player with skills. His game play reminds me of a faster Hayes. His biggest knocks are iq and vision. Studs centers in the nhl don’t lack those two things.

Iq and vision I think are extremely important. That’s why I loved giroux pick and the coots pick. I also like our first this year for the same reason. While he may have been a reach and there was another player on the board that had great hype. So I understand that it’s hard to look at just the player and not all the optics around the pick.

But cutter seems selfish on the ice. And I understand that the flyers could have done what he wanted and signed him last year like the rumors that are out there suggesting that fletcher promised. They didn’t. He then ghosted the team and acted selfish off the ice to force out.

I don’t agree with the trade being good or bad. Just saying his hype on here is over blown

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I see people laughing at my post about cutter. Above my post someone claimed he was better than all but two players in the last draft.

I think he will be an nhl player with a good career. But my comment on him not being that good comes from people thinking he’s going to be a stud. I don’t not believe this. He’s a big fast player with skills. His game play reminds me of a faster Hayes. His biggest knocks are iq and vision. Studs centers in the nhl don’t lack those two things.

Iq and vision I think are extremely important. That’s why I loved giroux pick and the coots pick. I also like our first this year for the same reason. While he may have been a reach and there was another player on the board that had great hype. So I understand that it’s hard to look at just the player and not all the optics around the pick.

But cutter seems selfish on the ice. And I understand that the flyers could have done what he wanted and signed him last year like the rumors that are out there suggesting that fletcher promised. They didn’t. He then ghosted the team and acted selfish off the ice to force out.

I don’t agree with the trade being good or bad. Just saying his hype on here is over blown
Low hockey IQ; poor on ice vision, selfish.
Born to be a Flyer?

Adtar02

@NateThompson44 is a bum
Apr 8, 2012
2nd star 2 the right
Low hockey IQ; poor on ice vision, selfish.
Born to be a Flyer?
I mean seems like something the brass would like. I believe we got kinda lucky he’s not here. I didn’t like the pick. And he could end up being really good and I am wrong. I tend to like late risers with iq best. It’s a draft. There few can’t miss players.

Hell Patrick looked good till the concussion problem. Superstar no. But solid player with smarts. Him and coots on the pp with giroux was fun to watch. Sucks the way it ended.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

I think one reason Flyers weren't gung ho on him going pro was he didn't show enough as a freshman to project as a center. And Anaheim immediately moved him to LW.

As a LW, he has value, should be a 30 goal scorer when he grows up, remains to be seen if he can and will play defense. Defense is IQ and desire.

Won't surprise me if Foerster turns out as good, not nearly as fast, not quite the shot, but elite defensively as a rookie and still put up 20 goals without a legitimate center most of the season.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Konecny got 6 years of full NMC and a deal a bit over market price. Its not about him. If we would be a contender the next 3 years it would be fine. But this contract isnt tradeable for 9 years and we need to resign other players and acquire #1 Center #1 dman and #1 goalie. Konecny is a plus player but not a cornerstone. This contract is a contract for a cornerstone....

The contract will be more palatable as the salary cap rises over the next few years...

• Haha
Reactions: Fotiu29

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
As far as Drysdale, I see him similar to a RH Ghost.

Should be a good PP QB and offensive threat, but you don't want to play him too many minutes and you do want to pair him with a physical, D-first partner (McDonald down the road?).

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
As far as Drysdale, I see him similar to a RH Ghost.

Should be a good PP QB and offensive threat, but you don't want to play him too many minutes and you do want to pair him with a physical, D-first partner (McDonald down the road?).

Drysdale has a long ways to go to become Ghost. He actually is what the Hakstol and Fletcher defenders pretended Ghost was.

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
It’s a bit funny that Ghost is being paid $900k more than Drysdale by a contender. Waivers discount.

Ghost in his rookie season was the same age as Drysdale this upcoming season, with 2 years worth of NHL games.
So logically, Drysdale will be one of the most dynamic and exciting players we've seen in years this season. This is the type of positivity this board needs. Combine that with Michkov scoring 90 points and running away with the Calder, and we are all but guaranteed a glorious first round playoff experience.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad