OHL Trade Thread 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
In all fairness, it wasn’t like Mississauga was gifted with elite centres. Each of their centres last year could have been moved to the wing. None of Karmiris, Misa, JVV, nor MacDonell were strong at that position. Top centres usually take upwards of 1200-1300 faceoffs. Karmiris was in the 900’s. MacDonell, Misa, and JVV were all ~800. So, Karmiris took about two extra faceoffs per game above those other three. It is not like he was the go to guy. It was mostly spread out quite a bit, way more than most teams would.

At the end of the day, the OA backup goalie at best is a fall back strategy and really should not be the plan “A.” I agree they likely need a D-Man with one of the two open OA spots. The third one should be prioritized in order:
1> 2nd line centre. Move Karmiris to the wing. Line up JVV or MacDonell as the 3C.
2> Acquire a RW. Whether it is another LW that plays the right side like Stonehouse in more of a pest role or someone like VanSteensel that plays straight forward as a scorer, it shouldn’t make a difference at this level. Guys play off wings successfully on many rosters.
3> A 3rd D-Man. The 3rd D-Man would be more of a luxury but depending on how they deploy assets in trades, they may benefit from three OA D-Men if they feel the need to upgrade the 2nd pairing and can flip one of their current D-Men in a trade that makes sense.
4> Goalie. This could be more prioritized if Ivankovic goes down with an injury and it is of the nagging type.

True. It’s also fair to say the steelheads last season did not have a 19-20 yr old centre. MacDonell was 18, Karmiris and JVV just 17, and Misa not a centre imo a late birth 18.
Rehkopf, Karmiris, JVV/MacDonell (LW/C) should make Brampton solid in the middle this season.

If comfortable with Stonehouse as a top six, and ok with a player just ready to go after shoulder surgery, fine. VanSteensel is a LW period.
I do not know how much RW Vilmanis played in his career. He was the target because Arnsby played with him at the Florida camp; and said, ‘that is the guy we we need.’ Some wingers are no doubt better or equal on the off-wing; I am just unaware of any RW OAs this season. Stonehouse, but I’m too cautious to pay for players just recovered from surgery.

Expensive this season, possibly very costly next season; adding two D would probably improve the team a little, but means at least Spencer and Gee were removed, and VonRichter & Dragusica only getting #6-7 minutes.

Last edited:

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013
what about teams other then the Petes? They may want him. not always about 1 team
I think the fact he is an overage the Petes will likely trade him provided Zack Bowen can carry the load as number one. However if they believe keeping him is in their best interests they will likely do so, unless the offer is too good to pass up on.

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
The OA spots should be used to upgrade F and D spots NOT a G. Even if they are able to upgrade their positions of NEED with non-OA, they should still upgrade skater depth with OA before using that spot for a G. Opportunity cost is too high for a team with championship aspirations to have an OA on the bench 50-60% of the time. Just common sense.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
I think the fact he is an overage the Petes will likely trade him provided Zack Bowen can carry the load as number one. However if they believe keeping him is in their best interests they will likely do so, unless the offer is too good to pass up on.
He was talking about Flores. I don’t think he posted it only for the Petes, there are other teams that may want a goalie

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, assuming the Barlow trade to Oshawa is imminent, that puts Barrie and Brampton back on the clock!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Well, assuming the Barlow trade to Oshawa is imminent, that puts Barrie and Brampton back on the clock!

With Rehkopf, Karmiris, Misa, and Martone Brampton should have two good scoring lines and PP. They should now be seeking some complimentary size, physicality, and defensive ability at forward imo.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
With Rehkopf, Karmiris, Misa, and Martone Brampton should have two good scoring lines and PP. They should now be seeking some complimentary size, physicality, and defensive ability at forward imo.

Agreed. I think they need to add one really solid big man on Defence and two bigger wingers that allow them to stretch out to three lines int he regular season.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Agreed. I think they need to add one really solid big man on Defence and two bigger wingers that allow them to stretch out to three lines int he regular season.

In my head, Andonovski is on the roster already.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
In my head, Andonovski is on the roster already.

It really is going to be a three way tug-o-war.

This is why I was shuddering at the thought of Kingston going big game hunting. I know their roster is older but it really isn’t in the same league as the other three. I hope they come to their senses and don’t blow their load needlessly. Depending on what Sudbury ends up doing, I see Kingston, Brantford and Sudbury in that next group. I don’t think any of them will end up winning and arms race against the other three. Brampton is best positioned from an asset perspective but if Barrie is willing to dish out Parker Vaughn, I think they could end up being the leader.

As a 67’s fan, I would love to see a Pinelli+Foster deal for Vaughn. Not likely but it woudl be fun in Ottawa if it were to happen!

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

This is why I was shuddering at the thought of Kingston going big game hunting. I know their roster is older but it really isn’t in the same league as the other three. I hope they come to their senses and don’t blow their load needlessly. Depending on what Sudbury ends up doing, I see Kingston, Brantford and Sudbury in that next group. I don’t think any of them will end up winning and arms race against the other three. Brampton is best positioned from an asset perspective but if Barrie is willing to dish out Parker Vaughn, I think they could end up being the leader.

As a 67’s fan, I would love to see a Pinelli+Foster deal for Vaughn. Not likely but it woudl be fun in Ottawa if it were to happen!
I don’t think those three are out of reach; and I really don’t think 350 regular season goals is what any team is trying to achieve. I also don’t believe three more eastern conference all-in teams is feasible.
But let’s not carried away with how loaded the current top three are. The wolves send SSM Blonda, Chitironi, & picks for Gibson & Mignosa or Cloutier …still have more picks than Barrie and Oshawa.
A really good team is getting bounced in round two regardless. If Kingston, I want the two seed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think those three are out of reach; and I really don’t think 350 regular season goals is what any team is trying to achieve. I also don’t believe three more eastern conference all-in teams is feasible.
But let’s not carried away with how loaded the current top three are. The wolves send SSM Blonda, Chitironi, & picks for Gibson & Mignosa or Cloutier …still have more picks than Barrie and Oshawa.
A really good team is getting bounced in round two regardless. If Kingston, I want the two seed.

I think it is crazy to think Kingston has the guns to nail down the #2 seed. They aren’t even speaking the same language as Oshawa right now assuming Roobroeck is back and the Barlow deal goes down.

Anything could happen but I think it is safe to say there is a sizeable gap or will be a sizeable gap between the top three and the rest. Even if Sudbury were to do what you are saying, the other teams still have assets to maintain that gap.

There is a big difference between trading away a bunch of expendable assets to catch up to the pack and spending a bunch of assets to surge ahead of the pack. IF a team like Sudbury or Kingston blow their load catching up to the pack and then watch as those teams blow their load pulling away from the pack again, it will be embarrassing. Quite literally, one of Sudbury or Kingston will lose round one…probably in a head to head 4-5 battle.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Konnor smith would be a good fit for them maybe. That fills the big man on defence spot.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022

Trust me I don’t want them going in either with all these other teams but I think it’s going to happen regardless.

Even if they blow a tire in round 1 they have some pieces next year to trade and maybe build around the 09 class with the 2 first rounders, and assuming Battaglia is back they can trade him for another first rounder.

Soto, Miedema and McNamara will get good picks back if they wanted to trade any of those guys to get picks back that they’ll spend this season.

Regardless I think they’re in a good spot future wise even if they do go all out and lose first round.

mattommy98

Apr 3, 2023
My gut tells me Owen Flores will be let go for Niagara over there limit. Wonder if anyone would create a spot or he would just go down to minors or states

Mata

Mar 4, 2019
Any teams still looking for a top 6 forward, import? Erie still has to deal either Misiak (unlikely as he's OA and import) or Molnar at some point.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
What’s the deal with Saginaw this year? Any thoughts on Misa staying or going?
It would take a horrific first half to sell off Misa. I don't think he makes the NHL next year. Not saying he isn't a great player, still think he's a top 10-15 pick, he's just not that tier of player to make the jump right away. They can move him and Parekh next season for a boatload. If they wanted to start the rebuild this year, they wouldn't have take Chernyshov/Petterson in the import draft. Worst case scenario is that they can beat the bad teams but can't hold their own against better teams, end up mid by deadline, and move someone like Willis for some assets and just ride it out.

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It would take a horrific first half to sell off Misa. I don't think he makes the NHL next year. Not saying he isn't a great player, still think he's a top 10-15 pick, he's just not that tier of player to make the jump right away. They can move him and Parekh next season for a boatload. If they wanted to start the rebuild this year, they wouldn't have take Chernyshov/Petterson in the import draft. Worst case scenario is that they can beat the bad teams but can't hold their own against better teams, end up mid by deadline, and move someone like Willis for some assets and just ride it out.

If a team like Brantford made O’Donnell available, would it be better to get the ‘08 instead of the ‘09? The ‘08 this year plus an ‘09 next year for Parekh may be a better mix? Of course, they get picks on top of the ‘08 for Misa because of his age and eligibility. I think a team like Brantford that woudl want a two year player would be willing to move on a player like Misa.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
If a team like Brantford made O’Donnell available, would it be better to get the ‘08 instead of the ‘09? The ‘08 this year plus an ‘09 next year for Parekh may be a better mix? Of course, they get picks on top of the ‘08 for Misa because of his age and eligibility. I think a team like Brantford that woudl want a two year player would be willing to move on a player like Misa.
I'm sure just about every team would love to have a two year player. Saginaw would actually have to be offering that kind of player. But everything Lazary and Drinkell have been saying this off season indicates that they have no plans to sell off this year.

JoeSchmo

Jul 17, 2024
Where does Andrew Gibson end up this season?

He’s guaranteed to be one of the biggest fish at deadline, probably the biggest defenseman available at the deadline.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Where does Andrew Gibson end up this season?

He’s guaranteed to be one of the biggest fish at deadline, probably the biggest defenseman available at the deadline.

Cloutier & Gibson to Sudbury for Blonda & Chitaroni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad