Rumor: Travis Konecny looking for ~10M/Y on a long term deal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
He's had 1 and missed like 3 games. Generally not a very injury-prone player. Plays well defensively and on the PK and would have more points if the Flyers' PP wasn't historically bad. Despite that, nobody will be paying him $10M+, and this is all part of the negotiation tactics.
Didn't he have two in his draft year too?

Maybe I am mistaking him for someone else. I remember concussion history being discussed on TSN when the Flyers drafted him

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
10 mil per year for Konency is crazy af. Guy's a 1st line player but this contract would likely take him to his mid 30's, I assume he'd age well but 10 mil meh, seems risky, the Flyers cannot afford him, they should move him to a contender or a team looking to try and contend.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
He'd be the perfect add for Minnesota:

We need skilled RHS forwards in the worst way.
Our PK absolutely sucked last year.
He's the same age/draft as Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek.
We can give him $9M pretty easy with Eriksson Ek being wildly underpaid and Boldy on his way to the same.

• Haha
Reactions: Imgoingtowork

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I think people are overreacting too much generally in this thread. A few points shy of PPG the last couple of seasons on a bad offensive team, generally solid underlyings IIRC, has a gritty reputation that GM's like...with the cap going up consistently now I wouldn't be shocked at all to see a team pay him $8.5-9M which really isn't that far off his initial ask. Of course his first offer is going to be high.

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
vancouver
Didn't he have two in his draft year too?

Maybe I am mistaking him for someone else. I remember concussion history being discussed on TSN when the Flyers drafted him
I don't think he did? I don't remember and I can't find any info on that, probably confusing him with someone else

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
He'd be the perfect add for Minnesota:

We need skilled RHS forwards in the worst way.
Our PK absolutely sucked last year.
He's the same age/draft as Kaprizov and Eriksson Ek.
We can give him $9M pretty easy with Eriksson Ek being wildly underpaid and Boldy on his way to the same.
Agree, Flyers need 1st Rd Picks and Youngin's he just doesn't fit our timeline but surely would fit in well there.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I don't think he did? I don't remember and I can't find any info on that, probably confusing him with someone else

Notes a concussion in 2014-2015 in his draft year

He was also concussed 2019

Fox Sports* notes three more "upper body" injuries since then.

rea

Feb 8, 2011
1000027159.gif

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Guentzel got 9M and that's in Tampa. Jake got the cups and stuff, but he was also glued to Crosby, and so when you look at the last couple of years Konecny has a case to use him as a comparable. He's basically been a PPG 1st line winger.

Factor in him being the Flyers best player and added taxes, it makes sense to point at that and say the conversation starts at 10M.

What he actually signs for who knows. I hope he stays in Philly, but there's no denying it's a pretty good time to test FA next summer. You look at the Sabres for example, and they could pony up some serious cash after buying out Skinner and they really need a high-profile winger.

Would not surprise me at all if he gets the 9M.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
that ore Sam Reinhart money, and just below Guentzel money. Both players are superior.

but good look to him though.

Is Guentzel actually that much better? Similar numbers for the last couple of seasons but one plays with Crosby whilst the other plays with the ghost of Sean Couturier.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Larkin plays center, about the same offence, better defence got 8.75X8, so Konecny should come in under that.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Why not ask for a gazillion bajillion instead
I think with the cap staying flat for so long people view this as crazy but with the cap rising 4+m and expected to continue around that mark for the next few years, players are going to get alot more, 10 isnt really surprising but their goal will be to keep him at 9

Larkin plays center, about the same offence, better defence got 8.75X8, so Konecny should come in under that.
Larkin signed in the flat cap era. times are changing

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Smart move by Konecky’s agent, GMs have the memory or a rock, cap spikes up and he will be first at the trough to get an absurd contract and in 2 years time they will have no space when the next generation needs new deals

• Haha
Reactions: lawrence

JPT

Jul 4, 2024
Cool, can I go to my job and say I wanna get paid $100 per hour? No? but I wants it.
Depends on what you do, I guess.

If the Flyers pay this guy anything close to 10M a year, Comcast should be given the Meruelo treatment.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Interesting time we are in right now. With the cap just taking its biggest jump in 7 or 8 years and the thought that it might continue to rise there is definitely a feeling out process.

There is going to be some sort of market correction, but to what group of players that is no one really knows at this point.

Can see why a player is asking for what seems like the moon at this point. He doesn't want to sign a deal today only to find out a year from now that the salary cap shot up another 4-5mil and comparables are now getting 2-3mil more a year than him. There literally isn't much reason for Konecny an 8 year deal at this point unless it is for that 10mil or close to it a year.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad