Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Would Teravainen be of interest to Isles?

Not a defender of course but would add some offensive flair/creativity to Isles lineup

I like Teuvo a lot, but it's the same issue as Eberle, only Eberle is better. We need someone that will keep us in playoff contention.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Integrity is different things to different people. So you would rather him be miserable as an Islander? And likely not play to his full potential since his mind is elsewhere? And what if he becomes a problem in the locker room?

You asked me if I was paying him, and I guess I kind of am. But I ask you, are you his wife? Why do you care if he's happy? Does Travis Hamonic care if I enjoy my job to the fullest every day? It's not your job to care if the players are happy, just as it isn't his to worry about me. I root for the team; I root for the players only insofar as they further the team's agenda. I have human beings to take care of all day, every day. Travis Hamonic isn't one of them. Take that Florence Nightingale **** elsewhere.

We're basically saying his mom has a long-term, irreversible illness, and deciding that's why this is happening. That could certainly be the case, but I'm still not sure why that means he gets to choose where he plays AND keeps the money from a contract he doesn't want to honor. And of course we're making that scenario up, since we don't have any clue if it's true.

If your definition of integrity doesn't include keeping your word, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess? Can't agree, don't want to impugn a stranger's integrity, so what can I say?

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
There was no signing bonus.

(Thanks, but if it's all the same to you, it's helping me stay annoyed to think he got one, so I'm going to continue pretending.)

So you AGREE with this guy taking a huge signing bonus and keeping it despite his trying to extricate himself from the contract? Ridiculous.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
No Edler is not nearly as good as Hamonic to be honest. The Canucks don't really have anything that the Isles would want.

Yeah no Edler has been a top pairing defenceman his whole career with better offence than Hamonic by far. Hamonic is way tougher and interests the Canucks, but please don't insuilt our intelligence because Edler is fair value.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I don't think this will result in a fair trade at all. Either we're going to get fleeced or Garth will go full backup goalie on some desperate GM and fleece him.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I don't think this will result in a fair trade at all. Either we're going to get fleeced or Garth will go full backup goalie on some desperate GM and fleece him.

Odds are Hamonic won't be with whatever team it is once he's a UFA anyway. Calgary, Edmonton, and Winnipeg don't come off as teams who will be able to afford to keep what could be a 1-2 dman

Jiggs

Mar 1, 2003
Paradise
Its gonna be interesting to find out what is going on here. If someone in his family is eminently terminally ill, take the leave of absence and be with your family, for as long as you need and come back when you are ready. It's not like he is a fresh face kid being away from home for the first time and missing his family. This is just so out of the blue, I am really puzzled as to why this is happening now. I'm definitely not a conspiracy guy but after the shock wore off, something is missing here for me. Even if he missed the whole year, it would make sense for the team to let him take care of his family issue than take a ridiculous discounted offer.
My thought as well.

That's a rumor that is floating around several places.

Is there some punishable law I'm missing that says they can't request a trade? Any player can request a trade, and the GM can say no.
Could it be that his new fiancé is from Winnipeg? Doesn't sound like something Hammer would do but who knows stranger things have happened and she is hot. :)

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
(Thanks, but if it's all the same to you, it's helping me stay annoyed to think he got one, so I'm going to continue pretending.)

So you AGREE with this guy taking a huge signing bonus and keeping it despite his trying to extricate himself from the contract? Ridiculous.

No, I agree with you, if he had a signing bonus he shouldn't deserve it, that's why I checked it.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Then he should be prepared to retire. Or he can void his contract, return the money, then rejoin the team when he's ready (if it's a short-term concern).

He won't, because maybe it's about family, but it's also about money. He wants to be rich playing a game AND choose where he lives.

It isn't always about money. Life also happens to guys who make great livings. Hamonic has every right - per CBA - to request a trade. The Islanders do not have to honor this request as he does not have NTC.

Also, the Islanders have every right to trade Hamonic if they so desire. To any team in the NHL of their choosing. Hamonic has zero say.

The Islanders are trying to accommodate a good citizen, employee.

It is beyond me why anyone would critique the kid.

Hamonic strikes me as a kid with high level of integrity and honor. I will take him at his word that this request will lessen strain on a serious family issue. Islanders will go out of their way to try to take care of him to the best of their ability.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
anyone who is thinking it is not about "Brooklyn" is kidding themselves.

Either Hamonic is lying as he is not wanting to pour dirt on the Brooklyn thing, or the Islanders are telling Hamonic to keep quiet as they know having a player request a trade to get out of this situation is going to create a crap storm as far players wanting to be traded and not wanting to play here.

Go eat some cyanide already, will you please?

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
I counted I think 11 main board threads pertaining Hamonic. Clearly he's overrated and we should stop valuing him so high :sarcasm:

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
I guess many teams are calling Snow. I would just tell them to find a 3 way deal that makes sense for all of them. I'm sure there is a deal to be made.

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
I think some of you are out to lunch with the return you are expecting. We are going to lose this trade. No team will trade their Hamonic/Barzal/etc. We will probably get a couple of decent pieces, but nothing great.

We don't have to trade him right away, but I think it's bad to not trade him at all. You don't want to have players in your locker room that don't want to be there.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
It isn't always about money. Life also happens to guys who make great livings. Hamonic has every right - per CBA - to request a trade. The Islanders do not have to honor this request as he does not have NTC.

Also, the Islanders have every right to trade Hamonic if they so desire. To any team in the NHL of their choosing. Hamonic has zero say.

Hamonic strikes me as a kid with high level of integrity and honor. I will take him at his word that this request will lessen strain on a serious family issue. Islanders will go out of their way to try to take care of him to the best of their ability.

well said......almost any other player and i would be cursing him, but hamonic just oozes character....i trust his word and hope that his family's problems take a turn for the better....the kid clearly has had a tough life and while he is of the highest character, he still is in deep pain over his past

having said that, we need to take our time and get the right return.....i think he will happily play hard for us and wait it out a bit

macleod50

Apr 24, 2006
Long Island, NY
You asked me if I was paying him, and I guess I kind of am. But I ask you, are you his wife? Why do you care if he's happy? Does Travis Hamonic care if I enjoy my job to the fullest every day? It's not your job to care if the players are happy, just as it isn't his to worry about me. I root for the team; I root for the players only insofar as they further the team's agenda. I have human beings to take care of all day, every day. Travis Hamonic isn't one of them. Take that Florence Nightingale **** elsewhere.

We're basically saying his mom has a long-term, irreversible illness, and deciding that's why this is happening. That could certainly be the case, but I'm still not sure why that means he gets to choose where he plays AND keeps the money from a contract he doesn't want to honor. And of course we're making that scenario up, since we don't have any clue if it's true.

If your definition of integrity doesn't include keeping your word, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess? Can't agree, don't want to impugn a stranger's integrity, so what can I say?

This is my last post in this thread. The amount of self absorbedness and histrionics are hitting an absurd high.

I don't care if he's happy or not, don't know the guy. I find it amusing that you people think he owes you something. He is playing for the Isles right now, is he not? Having a pretty good season right? Certainly earning his money. He requested a trade for personal family issues, suck it up and move on.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Also, the Islanders have every right to trade Hamonic if they so desire. To any team in the NHL of their choosing.

Of course you're correct, he can ask and the Islanders can either acquiesce or refuse. I hope they refuse his request at least until season's end because THE leak from Mr. Integrity's agent could make trade conditions less favorable to the Islanders.

People are critiquing the grown man for signing a contract, then trying to get out of it 18 months later. We don't yet know why he's doing it. No mystery here.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
i kind of hope he is traded before the game friday, because he is going to get booed and i will be embarrassed by our fanbase

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I counted I think 11 main board threads pertaining Hamonic. Clearly he's overrated and we should stop valuing him so high :sarcasm:

"He's so overrated that I want him on my team" :shakehead

Got to love that.

Also, I just saw this on the Oilers board. Don't know how much weight it holds though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad