Confirmed with Link: Travis Hamonic has requested a trade Part I

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
whatever happens, i think one of pulock or mayfield needs to brought up to see what they can contribute to this team. have to echo the gut feeling of many others that we aren't getting a good value for hamonic.

Pelech needs to be sent down and both Mayfield and Pulock need to be called up. When Hickey comes back they need to be rotated on the third pairing with him and if we don't get a defenseman in return for Hammer one of them needs to take his spot. Zidlicky can **** off. If our kids don't start getting experience now and we lose Hammer, we will not make the playoffs.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
It would make so much sense for both teams to do a trade around Hamonic and Trouba.

You are a terrible person.

no I am a person who does not like people who have no integrity, and Travis signing a contract and putting the Islanders in a bad situation is the opposite of that.

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
I guess many teams are calling Snow. I would just tell them to find a 3 way deal that makes sense for all of them. I'm sure there is a deal to be made.

I agree. TH requested a trade for personal reasons and is doing what he feels is right. I have no problem with that as there are more important things in life then playing hockey. With that said this is an excellent opportunity for GMG to get creative with a 3 way deal. It's probably the only way the Isles get back equal value. And I wouldn't mind if a top winger was added for JT either in the deal for say OK....Strome.....or something of that thought process.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I wouldn't be surprised if Hammer's mother may have the onset of Alzheimer's or some other serious illness that will perpetually get worse over years. Hammer will want to be closer to her to enjoy her final good years.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Overall...

This sucks across the board. Aside from the fact it's not only a matter of time before we lose perhaps our greatest "warrior," but no way we're getting full value for them. The cards are now on the table and everyone knows Snow's cards and can bet accordingly.

If Hamonic wants/needs to be near his family then you almost have to get him to Winnipeg. The next closest teams are Minnesota and Calgary and at best that's a 7-hour drive.

Therefore you have 2-3 teams "bidding" on Hamonic...IF they even want him. I mean what if the Jets, Wild, and Flames don't want to deal for Hamonic? I sincerely doubt he'd accept a deal to even the Blackhawks as that only cuts off a little over an hour from the flight.

The only way to get close to the same value for Hamonic is if the Jets actually value Hamonic close to what Snow values him. If not then Snow has to make a decision of doing what's best for the Isles while balancing off what's best for Hammer and his family.

Also what if other teams are now concerned that whatever is going on with him personally might affect his play once he gets closer to home.

This is a bad spot for both Hamonic and the Isles, so not for a second is Snow holding close to all the cards. Best thing that can happen is Hamonic just plays his butt off for the Isles and does very well in the process. That would keep his value as high as possible while also showing teams that his mental game is not affected.

In the meantime I hope Hamonic understands that Snow cannot deal him until he gets a solid deal at worst.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Sounds like Garth isn't just going to give him away.

BTW, it's even more ridiculous that Pulock hasn't gotten a shot yet. You really need to know what you have before making these franchise altering moves.

And if they already know that Pulock isn't ready yet should they play him in the NHL for no reason?

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
It is in his contract that he cannot request a trade? Because of a trade request - for what appears to be for very significant personal reason - this in your mind validates a sarcastic reference to Hamonic as "Mr Integrity". Hammer run over your puppy or something? I don't get this position. Seems irrational and a bit too over the top angry.

Mr. Integrity was a joke about people assuming anything about him as a man based on the little we know. And the fact that his agent seems the likeliest candidate for putting this out there. I don't like the position his request puts the team is, and he has a contract. The team has no incentive to do what he asks unless the right trade presents itself.

It's insane for anyone to pretend they know what kind of person a complete stranger is based on an ESPN feature and two minute post-period spots. These are not your friends. We are not little kids, and we do not look up to other grown men. None of us know what these other adults believe in their souls, and we shouldn't care. They owe us nothing; we owe them nothing. You like him because he plays for your team and seems nice; I like him less because he's putting the team in a bad position. None of this is complicated.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
This sucks across the board. Aside from the fact it's not only a matter of time before we lose perhaps our greatest "warrior," but no way we're getting full value for them. The cards are now on the table and everyone knows Snow's cards and can bet accordingly.

If Hamonic wants/needs to be near his family then you almost have to get him to Winnipeg. The next closest teams are Minnesota and Calgary and at best that's a 7-hour drive.

Therefore you have 2-3 teams "bidding" on Hamonic...IF they even want him. I mean what if the Jets, Wild, and Flames don't want to deal for Hamonic? I sincerely doubt he'd accept a deal to even the Blackhawks as that only cuts off a little over an hour from the flight.

The only way to get close to the same value for Hamonic is if the Jets actually value Hamonic close to what Snow values him. If not then Snow has to make a decision of doing what's best for the Isles while balancing off what's best for Hammer and his family.

Also what if other teams are now concerned that whatever is going on with him personally might affect his play once he gets closer to home.

This is a bad spot for both Hamonic and the Isles, so not for a second is Snow holding close to all the cards. Best thing that can happen is Hamonic just plays his butt off for the Isles and does very well in the process. That would keep his value as high as possible while also showing teams that his mental game is not affected.

In the meantime I hope Hamonic understands that Snow cannot deal him until he gets a solid deal at worst.

Dont say that word

hockeygoon15

Nov 30, 2006
no I am a person who does not like people who have no integrity, and Travis signing a contract and putting the Islanders in a bad situation is the opposite of that.

Where did this guy come from? I haven't been on the boards too much this year, so this is my first time reading Mr. Banking1's thoughts. I'm not impressed. I suggest you read up on the type of person that Hamonic is. This guy is a gem. Wise beyond his years. Arguably one of the better human beings in all of sports -- or outside of sports for that matter.

Mr. Integrity was a joke about people assuming anything about him as a man based on the little we know. And the fact that his agent seems the likeliest candidate for putting this out there. I don't like the position his request puts the team is, and he has a contract. The team has no incentive to do what he asks unless the right trade presents itself.

It's insane for anyone to pretend they know what kind of person a complete stranger is based on an ESPN feature and two minute post-period spots. These are not your friends. We are not little kids, and we do not look up to other grown men. None of us know what these other adults believe in their souls, and we shouldn't care. They owe us nothing; we owe them nothing. You like him because he plays for your team and seems nice; I like him less because he's putting the team in a bad position. None of this is complicated.

Speak for yourself. I've got a few years on him and I still look up to him.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Totally over the top angry. There is no reason to think that Hamonic's request isn't due to a significant reason. He inked a long contract and committed to everything that the Islanders were doing (move and otherwise). No one knows that Hamonic's agent leaked this info or not, but I tend to be in the camp of thinking that other executives leaked the information in hopes of lowering the Islanders' asking price.
Maybe, but I doubt that a little bit. I think the other GMs/Exec. should not "betray" those trades talk just to lowered the value of a player. I think you just alienate yourself to the other GMs/Exec seeing what game you play.
I believe more in the crooked agents!

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Depending on the term of the situation, which ever team he gets traded to can assume that they will be able to extend him for pennies on the dollar down the road.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
Just to put this in my perspective.

I'm a cold call salesperson (sorry to those who didn't like me and now don't like me even more). I'm pretty good at what I do. I also have a contract. It's not a length contract, but I do have a contract with my employer.

If I had a family member that was sick, if I had a girlfriend who had a family member that was sick and I wanted to make things easier for me/her/my family, I'd do whatever it takes regardless of my job status. If they were in North Carolina, I'd apply to a competitor in North Carolina and work there because family comes first to me.

Would my employer be pissed? Probably, but from a sales/business perspective. From a human perspective, if he/she is actually mad at me for trying to do something for a sick family member, that would be extremely selfish. I bet since my CEO is such a good guy, he'd help me find a job in that area since he's a great networker. I would hope Garth is doing the same for Hamonic, since he's been an excellent player and teammate during the organization's darkest times. If all of this is true with Hamonic's family, then I fully support him. If he's lying, then my opinion on him will change very quickly. I have no reason to believe he's lying, so I fully support Hamonic and when he gets moved to the West I wish him all the luck in the world.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Hamonic and Strait for McDavid......will settle for Reinhart and Hall

Hamonic and Strait for Klefbom and Draisaitl

I'm not too fussed about this, I can respect Hamonic's decision to want to move on for whatever personal reasons he chooses. He's a pro athlete, with a contract, but also a human being and this is clearly something important to him so who is anyone else to judge.

He's a great young defenseman with a spectacular contract and he'll have a good amount of market value - Isles will get something good in return. Maybe not what fans would deem "fair value" but something that will help the team.

Pulock and Mayfield provide some depth and skill on the right side and maybe they can fill a gap elsewhere in the lineup - a proper winger for the top line? Another puck-moving defenseman maybe?

There's a good fit with all the west teams - EDM, CAL, WPG and VAN and the first three of those teams are ones that a young star would rarely (if ever) WANT TO go to - so they would be stupid to pass this up.

Sad news, yes, but not tragic.

Tragic would be Tavares asking for a trade or whispering to Snow that he has no intention on signing another contract. That would be devastating.

But if I'm listing the untouchables on this Isles team - it's Tavares, then a gigantic gap, but admittedly, Hamonic is pretty high on the list (definitely a top 4)

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Seems like travis would be one of the personalities that would not like the LI to Brooklyn move. Who knows what his reasons are, but it's interesting that the Brooklyn move being part of it would even be acknowledged - even if to deny it. Travis is a high quality individual and even if it was the reason I doubt he'd say it out of respect to the organization.

This is terrible news.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if the Isles supported or even initiated this leak. If Snow has indeed been trying to trade Hamonic since September, obviously he hasn;t seen an offer he felt was reasonable. Probably not too easy to trade someone like Hamonic out of the blue. I'm sure other GM's would be apprehensive - is he suffering from an injury? what's wrong with him? why would the Isles want to get rid of him?

Like this it is out in the open.

I would think that other GMs would do this, but not Snow. If the man had us totally guessing prior to drafting Tavares, he ain't giving up any info to no one about Hamonic being on the table. I mean name the last significant Islander trade you knew about prior to it happening...It doesn't happen.

Add in who broke the story...Elliotte Friedman. He is very much a Canadian reporter and I'm very confident Snow does not have him on speed dial - Nor would he share information like this with him in either case. I have little doubt someone in one of the Canadian teams' front office dropped Friedman a scoop.

The only person who usually breaks Islander news when the source is the Isles is Staple, and he was very much in "reactionary/let me check with my sources" mode after the news came out. Snow also knows that this news does not help Hamonic's trade value nor the state of the team, so it would be shocking to me if Snow leaked it.

Katurian

Oct 20, 2011
Crown Heights

I get what you're saying but part of investing time, energy and caring into following this or any other team is that you do start caring about the people on the team you follow. Not in a they're my best friend sort of way but from a distance. We root for laundry and people. I don't think I would enjoy following sports as much if I did it so dispassionately. That's me, maybe it's not you.

From what we know, he's been a great islander. Came through our system, developed nicely, was involved in the community and bought in to the team with a long term team friendly contract. If he's having family problems and wants to be closer to home I have no problem with that. He hasn't shown me any reason to doubt his motivations.

I like that our team is working with him instead of against him. I think that goes a long way with the other players in that locker room.

I think part of the difficulty of valuing Travis is not only him as a player but that his contract is probably one of the best in hockey.

I wouldn't try and get an equal caliber defenseman, someone a step down and a 1st. We have 3 guys in the bridge that are aching for a shot.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I wouldn't be surprised if Hammer's mother may have the onset of Alzheimer's or some other serious illness that will perpetually get worse over years. Hammer will want to be closer to her to enjoy her final good years.

I literally thought this exact same thing.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
What a blow. Hamonic is my favorite Islander and this will be no easy task for Snow.

Not that my hundred twenty bucks means anything, especially when someone has personal issues much greater than any amount of money. On that note, I NEVER purchased a jersey with a players name on the back until August when I got a Hamonic Home. I figured he was a mainstay and would be for years with his contract. Oh Well, I'll still wear it proudly.

We will not be happy with the return that's for sure. Snow also has no obligation to trade him, none. It would be the right thing to do but I am a strong proponent for him staying put if it means we don't get hosed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
The Oilers

I wonder exactly when Hamonic first asked for a trade. Because it is was prior to the draft would have been interesting to see what would have happened if we dealt both Hanonic & Reinhart to them. Perhaps we could have gotten their FIRST 3 picks... :sarcasm:

That said...If Hamonic asked for a deal prior to the draft then that is really telling that a deal couldn't get done with the Oilers...Especially since we did a deal with them - For a defenseman.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
What a blow. Hamonic is my favorite Islander and this will be no easy task for Snow.

Not that my hundred twenty bucks means anything, especially when someone has personal issues much greater than any amount of money. On that note, I NEVER purchased a jersey with a players name on the back until August when I got a Hamonic Home. I figured he was a mainstay and would be for years with his contract. Oh Well, I'll still wear it proudly.

We will not be happy with the return that's for sure. Snow also has no obligation to trade him, none. It would be the right thing to do but I am a strong proponent for him staying put if it means we don't get hosed.

They will move him sooner than later now with it being public now, it will become a distraction at some point. They may have to take draft picks though as it just may be the best value they can get.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
I agree, this has to be the Brooklyn effect. Western Canadian hockey players loved Long Island, because it's not like having to deal with the city.

Very possible...

Usually when things come out, start with the reasons that are denied.

Like when a player says it's not about the money!

Here they had to say it's not about the team/arena. There had been rumblings players don't like the setup.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
That's what makes it so hard. I have so much respect for him. It would have been so much easier if he was a ********* about it.

Been away from my family for two weeks for work. Found out that a big project at work today was being held up for 3 days by a problem I caused. Then I get into huge financial ******** with the wife and then this happened...

Alone in a hotel with a bottle of cheap scotch. You guys are all I have lol.

Been one of those everything goes wrong days for me too. This was icing on the cake and absolutely out of nowhere.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Very possible...

Usually when things come out, start with the reasons that are denied.

Like when a player says it's not about the money!

Here they had to say it's not about the team/arena. There had been rumblings players don't like the setup.

So even if Travis states specifically why he wants to go back to Western Canada, it's because of Brooklyn. He just won't come out and say it because he's being a team player and doesn't want to badmouth the move.

And if by some chance he does say it's because of Brooklyn, then of course, it's Brooklyn.

So, we're to take one response at face value and we're supposed to read between the lines on the other? How ****ing convenient for you. No matter what, IT'S BROOKLYN! You win! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad