Post-Game Talk: Traverse City tournament. Leafs finish with 2-1 record.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Cowan and Tverberg just dominating out there

Tverberg looks like a guy who should follow the Zach Hyman development handbook to a T. Just be a tenacious winger, dog on a bone.

Cowan looks really high end. Effortless wheels and just great hands, puck control and awareness. He kind of reminds me a little of a Marchand the way he buzzes around and the puck is always following him around.

Did Minten put on a lot of muscle over the past year? He seems a lot bigger and more physical than last fall. Didn't follow him much, heard he got hurt late in the year and his numbers didn't look so hot.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Cowan reminds me a lot of Robertson, but with vastly superior situational awareness and much better at picking his spots. Maybe a little less skilled, but much more purpose to his game

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

kerk

Apr 27, 2009
Our Ovi has been kinda bad looking. He looks like SDA I don't think he is an NHler
he's definitely a guy more suited to big ice, will need some more time to adjust to smaller rinks but the potential is definitely there especially with his skating

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
The big three are just as advertised
Cowan Knies minten will be nhl players
Frasca looks like a big body with skill
Hidleby looks cool and calm and makes the saves look easy.
Kokkenen looks good defensively and knows when to follow the play

Nielma is quite a few years away from the big show. Had trouble trying to tie up big forwards. Took a penalty because he was beat to the outside. Has to gain a lot more strength. Looked good on powerplay where he had time and space.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Cowan’s separation speed is impressive. in a short 5 stride burst, he blows by people. Has good vision and stick handling too. Impressed tonight.

Reactions: Burnie97

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tverberg looks like a guy who should follow the Zach Hyman development handbook to a T. Just be a tenacious winger, dog on a bone.

Cowan looks really high end. Effortless wheels and just great hands, puck control and awareness. He kind of reminds me a little of a Marchand the way he buzzes around and the puck is always following him around.

Did Minten put on a lot of muscle over the past year? He seems a lot bigger and more physical than last fall. Didn't follow him much, heard he got hurt late in the year and his numbers didn't look so hot.

I remember comparing Cowan to Marchand after they picked him and I watched some highlights. If you look at Cowans stats they are very similar to Marchands in junior as well.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
It’s 2023 and we’re still seeing highlights that look like they were filmed behind the glass by a fan. Stats and recaps for these games are virtually non-existent. Nothing has changed in 20 years.

Seeing how the NBA promotes Summer League compared to how the NHL handles this tournament shows the massive gap between the leagues. The entire NHL marketing strategy needs to be overhauled.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
It’s 2023 and we’re still seeing highlights that look like they were filmed behind the glass by a fan. Stats and recaps for these games are virtually non-existent. Nothing has changed in 20 years.

Seeing how the NBA promotes Summer League compared to how the NHL handles this tournament shows the massive gap between the leagues. The entire NHL marketing strategy needs to be overhauled.
Same reason nhl players arent paid the same as their nba counterparts, or even the nhl video games arent close to the tier of nba2k or mlb the show. Less viewers, not as much branding power, less money. It is what it is.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Cowan is already showing why he was a great “off the board” pick. To come into this game with a burr in his saddle, something to prove, you will notice me mentality, its exactly what you want to see from a prospect. This guy is a gamer, expecting a massive year in London.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Same reason nhl players arent paid the same as their nba counterparts, or even the nhl video games arent close to the tier of nba2k or mlb the show. Less viewers, not as much branding power, less money. It is what it is.

I’m not saying this tournament should be at Summer League level. But the gap between how the the two are promoted and executed is just massive. The NHL has no idea how to generate excitement.

It goes well beyond money. I can find stats for my beer league softball team online the next day easier than I can for this tournament.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Now imagine if Grebyonkin was also playing in this game.

Our prospect pool gets ripped on alot but we have some good future NHL players.

Cowan, Knies , Woll, Grebyonkin, Minten, Niemela, Hirvonen, Tverberg, Hildeby are all guys that should help the big club eventually or be used in trades.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Now imagine if Grebyonkin was also playing in this game.

Our prospect pool gets ripped on alot but we have some good future NHL players.

Cowan, Knies , Woll, Grebyonkin, Minten, Niemela, Hirvonen, Tverberg, Hildeby are all guys that should help the big club eventually or be used in trades.
I agree. Although I think the jury is still very much out on those guys at the back end of your list we do have some NHL players on the way.

Another thing I think gets overlooked is that when you’re a team like the Leafs who should be at the top end of the standings for the foreseeable future the lineup is pretty well set. You don’t need 3 or 4 guys graduating every year. If you have 1 or 2 key guys making the jump you’re good.

When you’re in the Leafs situation more important than having crazy depth is to ensure you’re drafting, developing and keeping the right ones.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Think

Agreed. The NHL leadership needs a workover from the top down in the worst way.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad