Post-Game Talk: Traverse City tournament. Leafs finish with 2-1 record.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Man, i wished we had drafted better over the last few years. Cannot see many of the guys making it unfortunately, regardless of their size.
Leafs have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL at present and once you get by Matthew Knies its pretty slim pickings.

Columbus is loaded with high-end talent so the score flattered the Leafs,

TEEING UP THE TRAVERSE CITY PROSPECT TOURNEY WITH DAILY FACEOFF'S STEVEN ELLIS | Leafs Morning Take​

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It makes perfect sense that a team in full rebuild mode will have the rookie tournament star power to push our program around…

But I also agree that I don’t love our prospect pipeline. Didn’t like the variety of player types incoming and don’t like the mix of what is flowing through now, and I’m dubious of whatever comes out at the NHL end will be that useful.

To me it’s very demonstrative that Matthew Knies is the crown jewel of the organization and he’s just a straight up pro body power forward. The quantity of toolsy, zippy, heads up Kerfoot-ish, Rodrigues-ish, Grzcelyk-ish guys, I think we have too many.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Leafs have one of the weakest prospect pools in the NHL at present and once you get by Matthew Knies its pretty slim pickings.

Columbus is loaded with high-end talent so the score flattered the Leafs,

The bolded is a little over the top imo.

One would expect us to be exactly where we are in pool rankings. This reinforced by the fact that the typical teams joining us at the bottom are teams like the Avs, Caps, Rangers, Pens, Bolts, Bruins, Golden Knights, and Oilers.

Having one our 1st rounders pass away surely doesn’t help matters.

That said, there are definitely elements of the drafting philosophy this team has used and the players picked that I’m unconvinced pan out

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
It makes perfect sense that a team in full rebuild mode will have the rookie tournament star power to push our program around…

But I also agree that I don’t love our prospect pipeline. Didn’t like the variety of player types incoming and don’t like the mix of what is flowing through now, and I’m dubious of whatever comes out at the NHL end will be that useful.

To me it’s very demonstrative that Matthew Knies is the crown jewel of the organization and he’s just a straight up pro body power forward. The quantity of toolsy, zippy, heads up Kerfoot-ish, Rodrigues-ish, Grzcelyk-ish guys, I think we have too many.

Well yeah we've been a playoff team for what 8 years now and been trying to win a cup for at least 5 of those. We've moved tons of picks. CBJ in that time has entered a full tear down rebuild and finished bottom of the league several times and drafted more in the top 60 in the past few seasons than we have in like a decade.

Two teams at different parts of their path. And in 5 years, our future will look as bleak as any other team who has competed like the Caps or Pens. Let's just hope we get at least a cup final out of it all

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Personally, I'd rather have a good team and get smoked in a Prospects tournament than the alternative.

Yup. I'm old enough to remember being ranked with a high prospect pool and none of them ever turning out and we kept being trash lol.

At least we have a good team and some good pieces coming up

Reactions: OddyOh and Sypher04

kerk

Apr 27, 2009

kressler coming out is a little concerning, hope he's ok

edit: didn't notice voit is out too lol maybe all is well just a game off

Last edited:

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Minten scores

Ellis did a good job there

Won the puck battle on the boards and got the puck in front to Minten