Post-Game Talk: Traverse City tournament. Leafs finish with 2-1 record.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Now imagine if Grebyonkin was also playing in this game.

Our prospect pool gets ripped on alot but we have some good future NHL players.

Cowan, Knies , Woll, Grebyonkin, Minten, Niemela, Hirvonen, Tverberg, Hildeby are all guys that should help the big club eventually or be used in trades.
The top-9 prospects (Knies, Grebenkin, Minten, Cowan, Robertson, Holmberg, Woll, Niemela and Hirvonen) are all trendiing towards NHL futures. That's a good stack of youth that are very likely to have NHL careers on some level. Considering the number of picks and where they have been selecting from that is not a bad group.

DragoGrizzly

Oct 2, 2019
The top-9 prospects (Knies, Grebenkin, Minten, Cowan, Robertson, Holmberg, Woll, Niemela and Hirvonen) are all trendiing towards NHL futures. That's a good stack of youth that are very likely to have NHL careers on some level. Considering the number of picks and where they have been selecting from that is not a bad group.
I’m not that high on Hirvonen actually. Every game I’ve seen of him he just doesn’t really do anything that sticks out. I’m really pulling for Tverberg because of his dog on a bone qualities but think he’s a long shot too. But what I think is impressive about the list of players you mentioned who will likely play in nhl, is that only one of them is a first round pick, and a late one at that.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
I’m not that high on Hirvonen actually. Every game I’ve seen of him he just doesn’t really do anything that sticks out. I’m really pulling for Tverberg because of his dog on a bone qualities but think he’s a long shot too. But what I think is impressive about the list of players you mentioned who will likely play in nhl, is that only one of them is a first round pick, and a late one at that.
I agree on Hirvonen. Reading about his playing style when he was overseas, it seems like he had the type of game that would make him a solid winger option on a 2nd line or more likely a 3rd line even though his size wouldn't necessary have you put him in that role. After watching him since he arrived in N.A, I just don't see how he will carve out a career in the NHL.

Reactions: DragoGrizzly

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree. Although I think the jury is still very much out on those guys at the back end of your list we do have some NHL players on the way.

Another thing I think gets overlooked is that when you’re a team like the Leafs who should be at the top end of the standings for the foreseeable future the lineup is pretty well set. You don’t need 3 or 4 guys graduating every year. If you have 1 or 2 key guys making the jump you’re good.

When you’re in the Leafs situation more important than having crazy depth is to ensure you’re drafting, developing and keeping the right ones.

I think that’s where I disagree, especially given our cap situation. We should be looking to replace some of our depth on the 3rd and 4th line with guys from our system. We should be looking for a guy like Tverberg to supplement our roster. You need to graduate both high end talent and home grown bottom six guys. Both are essential to success.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Think

Agreed. The NHL leadership needs a workover from the top down in the worst way.

I made that point in the Matthews thread and the response I got is “I don’t give a shit about Matthews importance to the game of hockey, just want a Stanley Cup.”

The problem is the NHL is unwilling to make changes that would help grow the game because they have a niche group they know will support them year after year. You also have fans who don’t understand that growing the game would then in turn lead to more revenue and more cap to work with. It’s a shame because there is potential to grow the game but when you have an older fan base that’s content with status quo and not yearning for change, it’s not going to happen.

Reactions: Green Snow Storm

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Tverberg looks like a guy who should follow the Zach Hyman development handbook to a T. Just be a tenacious winger, dog on a bone.

Cowan looks really high end. Effortless wheels and just great hands, puck control and awareness. He kind of reminds me a little of a Marchand the way he buzzes around and the puck is always following him around.

Did Minten put on a lot of muscle over the past year? He seems a lot bigger and more physical than last fall. Didn't follow him much, heard he got hurt late in the year and his numbers didn't look so hot.
I would love for all these guys to work out but don't put too much stock in these games

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I’m not saying this tournament should be at Summer League level. But the gap between how the the two are promoted and executed is just massive. The NHL has no idea how to generate excitement.

It goes well beyond money. I can find stats for my beer league softball team online the next day easier than I can for this tournament.
This is hilarious and sad because it's true.

It would take little effort or work to at least have a page dedicated to all the rookie tournaments going on

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Minten is coming along nicely and may be ahead of the teams expectations for him.
He's had some really strong stretches in games, imposing himself, good in the circle, first in on pucks, always one of the first back on transition.

He isn't a game breaker but I think just one of those centres who will function best on line 3 and a 1st up for the PK.

Easton Cowan will have me going to see the Knights when playing in the area this year. The kid has some shift and a lot of quick in his game, great hands and a shot that looks like it's almost there.

Nothing like Bedard of course, he had a nice game today, last I looked he had a hat trick going.

It was nice just sitting back enjoying some hockey with nothing at stake, just a bunch of talented players having some fun.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
The top-9 prospects (Knies, Grebenkin, Minten, Cowan, Robertson, Holmberg, Woll, Niemela and Hirvonen) are all trendiing towards NHL futures. That's a good stack of youth that are very likely to have NHL careers on some level.
This seems a tad...aggressively optimistic tbh

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Been really impressed with how steady Minten’s game has been. I think he’s going surprise a lot of people in training camp and pre-season games. I can already see a good third line with Minten and Jarnkrok.

Reactions: LeafSteel

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Been really nice getting to see hockey again this week even though only 1 game was fully televised. I watched some of the Blues and Hawks games as well and Bedard certainly seems legit and that was before he scored, he was dominant.

Tuesday players report to camp and Wednesday is when the players have their first media availability. Sunday we play the Sens in pre-season game 1.

Exciting times are back!

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Easton Cowan will have me going to see the Knights when playing in the area this year. The kid has some shift and a lot of quick in his game, great hands and a shot that looks like it's almost there.
Will most likely take the kids to a Steelheads game this season since it's cheap and I'm like 10-15 mins away lol
Def gonna pick a game vs the Knights now to see him as well.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I made that point in the Matthews thread and the response I got is “I don’t give a shit about Matthews importance to the game of hockey, just want a Stanley Cup.”

The problem is the NHL is unwilling to make changes that would help grow the game because they have a niche group they know will support them year after year. You also have fans who don’t understand that growing the game would then in turn lead to more revenue and more cap to work with. It’s a shame because there is potential to grow the game but when you have an older fan base that’s content with status quo and not yearning for change, it’s not going to happen.

We have to acknowledge the Cap also restricts what teams are permitted to do.

A lot more money could be put into the game if teams were allowed to spend.

Growing the game would be good for non-hockey fans. As a Leafs fan I don't care if Arizona was dropped from the league, same applies to many of the teams ... It's like having 100 channels on cable, I care about 20 of them.

I don't care if Matthews makes 1 million or 30 million a year.

I don't care if a team spending 20 million or 100 million wins the Cup.

Anyway, I don't think age comes into play, people are not who they are because of age, they are who they are because of who they are. Is Greta Thunberg the same age as David Suzuki?

I think the term "old boys club" is a misnomer, or at least some place too much emphasis on the "old" and think of age, not saying you do, but the is about the "club" being old not the members being old.
Well, at least the Leafs current management is more "old boys" than the last one.

Nice to see the "kids" are getting their legs against competition, and yes in less than a full game of viewing Cowan looks like he's a step above.

So Steve Sullivan will be 50 next year ... time flies eh?

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
We have to acknowledge the Cap also restricts what teams are permitted to do.

A lot more money could be put into the game if teams were allowed to spend.

Growing the game would be good for non-hockey fans. As a Leafs fan I don't care if Arizona was dropped from the league, same applies to many of the teams ... It's like having 100 channels on cable, I care about 20 of them.

I don't care if Matthews makes 1 million or 30 million a year.

I don't care if a team spending 20 million or 100 million wins the Cup.

Anyway, I don't think age comes into play, people are not who they are because of age, they are who they are because of who they are. Is Greta Thunberg the same age as David Suzuki?

I think the term "old boys club" is a misnomer, or at least some place too much emphasis on the "old" and think of age, not saying you do, but the is about the "club" being old not the members being old.
Well, at least the Leafs current management is more "old boys" than the last one.

Nice to see the "kids" are getting their legs against competition, and yes in less than a full game of viewing Cowan looks like he's a step above.

So Steve Sullivan will be 50 next year ... time flies eh?

i don't think i used the world old, but I completely understand what you are saying. That's why I used "niche". I don't think it's just old people that think like that. I think that perspective comes from old, young, middle age, everyone.

In general I think hockey fans are not as receptive to change, nothing really to do with age. But I hope that we do see some change in the game to make it more interesting and to see cap flexibility. I'd love to see a luxary tax system to allow teams who have the cash to spend extra if they are willing.

EDIT* I did use older towards the end there!

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
League has a strategy to get TV coverage across US. This leads to teams like the Leafs subsidizing lower revenue teams. Unfortunately this process has been going on for too long.

Extrapolating criticism of the coverage of a prospects game to the league as a whole seems bordering on hyperbole and just an opportunity to attack the core fanbases. Personally, I'm not interested in growing the revenue pie, I'm interested in a quality on ice product.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
League has a strategy to get TV coverage across US. This leads to teams like the Leafs subsidizing lower revenue teams. Unfortunately this process has been going on for too long.

Extrapolating criticism of the coverage of a prospects game to the league as a whole seems bordering on hyperbole and just an opportunity to attack the core fanbases. Personally, I'm not interested in growing the revenue pie, I'm interested in a quality on ice product.

See but that makes no sense to me, how do you expect the on.ice product to improve with out the money (aka revenue) to do so? That’s what leaves fans like me confused. How can people not see that both are connected. Things can’t improve without money. Revenue has to increase in order for the product to get better. Every other league has recognized that.

NBA Summer league is must see TV. And the NBA makes a ton off of summer league. We wanna see the upcoming rookies in action and those games and stats are accessible. Should be the same in the NHL, they should find a way to profit off the rookie showcase and make it compelling. How many people know Connor Bedard had a hat trick last night? And looked fantastic.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Well "Old Boys club" doesn't mean every member has to fit that identity. There are members in there who are young or female. But the vast majority of the members are older men. Guys who have been around for a long time and formed connections across every space of the league.

I agree with you this is a much more old boys club than previous teams, and I think that will earn Toronto more "respect" than they were getting around the league. Whether that has any impact on the success of the team remains to be seen, but history would suggest it doesn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad