News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I'm interested to hear what people's thoughts on Mcleod are at this point. I was laughed out of a thread for suggesting that he is an upgrade on Caggiula, Rattie, etc. Ideally He should get more seasoning to work on his shot/physicality but he is definitely not far off considering how atrocious our winger depth is.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm interested to hear what people's thoughts on Mcleod are at this point. I was laughed out of a thread for suggesting that he is an upgrade on Caggiula, Rattie, etc. Ideally He should get more seasoning to work on his shot/physicality but he is definitely not far off considering how atrocious our winger depth is.
He already skates at an NHL level (basically a high level) he might earn himself a look if he can bring some consistency. I wonder about his "high end" as a prospect, but I really think there's a player there. And if McLeod got a 9 (or more) game look because of a strong performance in camp, that would suit me just fine.

Reactions: McDrai

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He already skates at an NHL level (basically a high level) he might earn himself a look if he can bring some consistency. I wonder about his "high end" as a prospect, but I really think there's a player there. And if McLeod got a 9 (or more) game look because of a strong performance in camp, that would suit me just fine.

IMO, Benson’s the guy that’s a potential job thief. He’s looked great so far and is 100% healthy.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Almost any player would be an upgrade on Caggiula as he's a net negative on the ice.

Whomever is the best between Yamamoto/McLeod/Benson/Marody/Aberg should be in the lineup over Caggiula.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I think Benson has been somewhat underrated because of his injury issues. When healthy... he has the top end talent level to easily be a solid top 6 NHL player.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Almost any player would be an upgrade on Caggiula as he's a net negative on the ice.

Whomever is the best between Yamamoto/McLeod/Benson/Marody/Aberg should be in the lineup over Caggiula.

Should be. Won’t be, since we just gave him 600k too much and now have Nurse sitting out; but should be.

I just have this sense that Aberg is not long for this team. His sleeping in and missing practice or whatever put him firmly on tmacs shit list.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
Stauffer just said JP looked really good in the scrimmage. Usually you have to pull JP positivity out of him with hot tongs.

That boy’s going to break out, I can feel it.

This is music to me. :) Sounds like the new length of his stick is not a problem.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

I think simply because he skates so well he's got an advantage on those two players, however staying with the team is not what's best for his development or what's best for the team short and long term. It is promising to see that he's done well early in camp but it's still very early. I ultimately think he's going to be a good 3rd line guy who can move up the lineup if need be but he needs to work on being less of a perimeter player. It's easier to start doing that in junior and then bring that skill to the pro game rather than starting to try it at the pro level when you haven't played that way before. No sense risking a promising player getting injured because he's not ready for the physicality of the pro game.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I agree that Benson has the best shot of stealing a spot. He's the prototypical NHL hockey player, can skate, has decent size, and his skill is high enough that he should be able to make plays. I'd be worried if I was Caggiula, even with that contract. Guys with size can steal spots from smaller players pretty quickly if they can skate.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Stauffer just said JP looked really good in the scrimmage. Usually you have to pull JP positivity out of him with hot tongs.

That boy’s going to break out, I can feel it.

Me too.

I have a feeling JP takes off this year offensively. One thing we don’t talk enough about it JP already has a very mature defensive game for his age.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I very seldom disagree with you but where is this coming from? In comparison he figures somewhere below a Ty Rattie is my take. What am I not seeing?

If Rattie had Benson’s hockey sense he’d probably be a 25 goal scorer at the NHL level.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
His hockey IQ

I must be dense, I rarely understand this comment. Rattie had hockey IQ, he was the master of the WHL at one point. How do people differentiate one players hockey IQ being higher than another?

Or are these just subjective views.

We've seen Ty Rattie be able to play with Connor McDavid and not look out of place. His hockey IQ would seemingly be fine. I don't honestly get it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
If Rattie had Benson’s hockey sense he’d probably be a 25 goal scorer at the NHL level.

Ty Rattie has been a better player than Benson at any level of hockey. Again what are the views actually based on? Not some subjective one offs that don't tell us anything.

I don't know much about Benson. So what does he bring for tools? I know he has an extensive injury history.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Ty Rattie has been a better player than Benson at any level of hockey. Again what are the views actually based on? Not some subjective one offs that don't tell us anything.

Rattie played on stacked teams in junior and relied on his shooting ability. He was also never injured to the extent that Benson was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad