News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
pool party behind rattie and rieder on the 3rd line? Stupid. Cue all of the 'he has to earn it!' comments. The guy should be on the 1st or 2nd line right out of camp.
It's the start of camp.

Strome and Pulju were building chemistry, Rattie was building chemistry with McDavid. Draisaitl had no one and probably wants to play with Rieder.

I've seen "crazier" things at camp.

Reactions: Ck1

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
pool party behind rattie and rieder on the 3rd line? Stupid. Cue all of the 'he has to earn it!' comments. The guy should be on the 1st or 2nd line right out of camp.
Third line at ES is fine. Strome, Khaira and him seemed to be getting some chemistry going at the end of last year so they could build off of that. I'll be very irritated if he's not given an opportunity on the top PP unit in camp though.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Third line at ES is fine. Strome, Khaira and him seemed to be getting some chemistry going at the end of last year so they could build off of that. I'll be very irritated if he's not given an opportunity on the top PP unit in camp though.
Let him "hopefully " get to feast on lesser comp

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's the start of camp.

Strome and Pulju were building chemistry, Rattie was building chemistry with McDavid. Draisaitl had no one and probably wants to play with Rieder.

I've seen "crazier" things at camp.
imo it's crazy not to try to keep the McDavid-Rattie thing going. We struggle getting chemistry with McDavid, and then have to resort to putting Drai there. You can't just put JP in that spot and assume it will work, and btw having a talented player like JP on the third line will be an amazing asset.

As far as I'm concerned, the third line won't be purgatory. That line was looking good at the end of the season, in that stretch where the Lucic-McDavid experiment was finally abandoned. They likely won't be buried in the D zone either, so it could be a good launching pad if the quality of comp is less (which seems likely to me)

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
imo it's crazy not to try to keep the McDavid-Rattie thing going. We struggle getting chemistry with McDavid, and then have to resort to putting Drai there. You can't just put JP in that spot and assume it will work, and btw having a talented player like JP on the third line will be an amazing asset.

As far as I'm concerned, the third line won't be purgatory. That line was looking good at the end of the season, in that stretch where the Lucic-McDavid experiment was finally abandoned. They likely won't be buried in the D zone either, so it could be a good launching pad if the quality of comp is less (which seems likely to me)
Rieder is going to get a shot on that 2 RW spot probably because him and Drai have showed chemistry internationally before and it's kind of a no brainer to try it.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Rieder is going to get a shot on that 2 RW spot probably because him and Drai have showed chemistry internationally before and it's kind of a no brainer to try it.
There's always merit too, and if the camp and preseason are done right, then JP should get a legit chance to show he belongs in the top six and grab a spot there. One potentially bad sign is that Lucic is penciled into the top six there, when to me he should get similar treatment as JP and play on the third line for now. If the summer training was for real and he's good again, then he should have no problem grabbing the top six spot from Caggiula or whoever.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There's always merit too, and if the camp and preseason are done right, then JP should get a legit chance to show he belongs in the top six and grab a spot there. One potentially bad sign is that Lucic is penciled into the top six there, when to me he should get similar treatment as JP and play on the third line for now. If the summer training was for real and he's good again, then he should have no problem grabbing the top six spot from Caggiula or whoever.
If Pulju looks great in camp on the third line he will get a shot up higher. If he is dogging it and isn't showing skill then he won't.

And why should an NHL veteran with a long history of much better play be put in the same situation as a young player who hasn't shown much?

Lucic gets the benefit of the doubt because of his history.

And Lucic take his spot back from Caggiula or whoever? You talk about Merritt and Caggiula in the top 6 in the same post?

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Didn't JP play LW with Stromer. If so and Todd likes that combo, I could see

JP-Strome-Chaisson

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Is Bouchard making the Oil?
imo yes, but probably only for 9 games or less. I'd love to be wrong, as long as it means that Bouchard just is that good, and not that we're just forcing him. But really, our team showed that it isn't all about rushing players anymore after showing restraint with Yamamoto.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Training camp is started,
San Jose gets Karlsson, LV got MaxPac and the Oilers are going in without Nurse.
getting harder and harder to be optimistic for the season.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

He's still got it?

Looks like the neighbor from the Burbs

7fe27189fc225f84e20bc6e7f1d40ef1--the-burbs-movie-quotes.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad