News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
You're quoting the hockey news? Talking about reaching. Yikes.

Nuge had one of the best 18 year old seasons of this century before he got injured. He was ready to play.

The question is was he physically mature enough to play? I said it at the draft, and its been proven to be true. RNH wont be at his best until he's 25+ years old and grows into a mans body. I expect the next few years he finally breaks the 60 point barrier, and I wouldnt be surprised if he hits 70+ playing with Mcdavid. We now have RNH in his prime and I think he's going to surprise some posters who soured on him over the years. For the record my biggest complaint with the pick is that it'd take 5+ years until his prime. Couturier was ready to play an NHL game right out of the gate.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Todd said in the post-game he wants the roster trimmed to 23 guys by the time they are flying out to Germany, also mentioned a possibly exemption where they might be able to carry 3 goalies while overseas, so technically we might be at 24 guys.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Based on the last 2 games rosters I expect we'll see something like this next game:

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
Lucic-Drai-Rieder
Upshall-Malone-Chiasson
Gambardella-Currie-Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Gravel/Lagesson-Bear

Koskinen
Wells

...unless they make a few more quick cuts and pare the roster down even further before the Winnipeg game on Thursday.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Someone on /r/hockey mentioned that Ty Rattie may have had some bad off season habits in other years, but that he was taking this summer very seriously. Couldn't find a link, so take it for what it's worth.. good news if true though.

They said it during his post game interview.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
About Koskinen, of course only time will tell how he'll do in the NHL. From the first couple of preseason games I'd maybe read some things about his game and if I wanted to worry I'd base my worries about them. But when it comes to giving rebounds or one or two weak goals I wouldn't make huge conclusions yet.

He's been through a lot, but the first NHL game (though preseason) after all this time must've been special. It was the first game for a while, the team was completely new, the style of the game was new, and there was pressure as Montoya is a pretty capable goalie too. Koskinen has been terrific, also by not giving many rebounds, in the national team (also against Talbot), so I believe he can do much better than what we saw.

However, at the same time I have to say it'd be important to get a nice start, as Montoya's good start gives him more pressure and the more he struggles the more his self-confidence may be affected.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Based on the last 2 games rosters I expect we'll see something like this next game:

RNH-McDavid-Aberg
Lucic-Drai-Rieder
Upshall-Malone-Chiasson
Gambardella-Currie-Russell

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Gravel/Lagesson-Bear

Koskinen
Wells

...unless they make a few more quick cuts and pare the roster down even further before the Winnipeg game on Thursday.
I wonder if Yamamoto (or Rattie) get a look on the RW with Nuge & McDavid.

Also, my wife and I are going to game tomorrow, getting to see both McDavid and Draisaitl would be delightful.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Camp is really short this year... as of tomorrow there's only 5 games left in 10 days before they head overseas and they aren't doing any split squad games either so they are hopefully cutting players faster than normal as well.

Not much time for players to start out cold and warm up... impressions have to be made pretty quickly or you go down and they roll with whoever looks the best. At least I hope that's the attitude the coaches are taking.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I wonder if Yamamoto (or Rattie) get a look on the RW with Nuge & McDavid.

Also, my wife and I are going to game tomorrow, getting to see both McDavid and Draisaitl would be delightful.

I doubt Yamamoto gets a 3rd game in a row. They likely want to see more of Chiasson and a few of the players that have had zero games so far... and probably want to see if they can cut Aberg if he doesn't put up a decent effort.

They may play Rattie again but I would think they will likely save the RNH-McDavid-Rattie combo for a little later in camp as I think Rattie is playing well enough that he has a roster spot locked down (they already stated they want to give Rattie a shot with McDavid based on his late last season performance and he's done nothing negatively in camp so far to change that).

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
I expect to see Rattie with RNH and McDavid in the next game. If he plays well, he'll likely just stay there and they will default to sending Yamamoto to the Condors. Fully agree with this approach. Same goes for Benson. Top line on the farm should be Benson-Marody-Yamamoto. Let these guys play difficult AHL minutes. Injuries are inevitable and any of them could get some NHL games in this season.

About Rattie - Chris Kunitz wasn't a productive NHLer until he was 25/26 years old. Guys can take some time to develop/mature. Rattie could easily produce if he's dedicated and takes advantage of playing with McDavid. Gives some competition for other talented players like Yamamoto and ensures that players don't get gifted NHL roster spots.

I think the opening night roster, barring injuries, is virtually set.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Khaira - Strome - Puulujarvi
Caggiula/Upshall (if signed as 12/13th forward)- Brodziak - Kassian
Chiasson (if signed as 14th forward; could see him getting a two way deal and going to Bakersfield)

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
Jerabek - Gravel

Talbot
Montoya/Koskinen (whomever is better in preseason)

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard
Jerabek - Gravel

Talbot
Montoya/Koskinen (whomever is better in preseason)
With top 3 lines pretty well set, I am not overly concerned with who is our 4th line.

Thus far, if I had to set a D lineup though, I'd agree with the above. Jerebek really struggled last night.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
With top 3 lines pretty well set, I am not overly concerned with who is our 4th line.

Thus far, if I had to set a D lineup though, I'd agree with the above. Jerebek really struggled last night.
Footspeed was an issue. Bouchard has better boots and better offensive tools.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Interested to see who's left in camp after next round of cuts.

I hope they have just the guys fighting for spots left.
I'm interested to see where the 3rd/4th line LW spots are, if Yamamoto will actually be fighting for a spot against reider or not. Who their 13th forward will be, and some of the D pairings (like with our limited right shots are certain guys gifted a spot or do they try a few guys on the right side, and hopefully not russel)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad